1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Books.

wes Apr 26, 2005

1. nocheese4u

nocheese4u Notch'yo' cheese! JDBA Official Member

I did not even know more of them had been written. Just restarted the series because of this post. I figured I probably had forgotten some details since the 80's and 90's. Thanks for this! I am on book 8 now.

2. rtt257

rtt257 Little member

The first trilogy books are some of my all time favorites in the fantasy genre but I just couldn't get on board with the second trilogy. Read them but didn't enjoy them. Have you read the Malazan series by Steven Erikson? That series is, in my opinion, easily the best fantasy series ever written. The first read through is like trying to drink form a firehose though. There is just no way you will be able to retain all the info because the scope of his world is too vast but that just means the rereads are even more enjoyable.

3. nocheese4u

I will give them a try!

4. SlightChance

SlightChance Miller's Maddness JDBA Official Member

Speaking of the Red Knight, the third book in the Traitor Son Trilogy came out recently. I have only read the first two but I highly recommend them. (#2 The Fell Sword, and #3 The Dread Wyrm.) He also writes historical fiction under the name Christian Cameron.

I just finished reading Monster Hunter International by Larry Correia. It is awesome! Apparently Correia is a major gun nut; one of the main characters carries a pair of STI's. I am already on my way to blowing through the series.

Edit: The Malazan Book of the Fallen series is awesome too. It definitely is like trying to drink from a firehose. I really enjoyed the Novellas Blood Follows, The Healthy Dead and The Lee's of Laughter's End. They star Bauchelain, Korbal Broach and Emancipor Reese and they are actually funny! It was very refreshing after slogging through all that blood.

If you liked those books you might want to check out Joe Abercrombie's The First Law series. The Trilogy is really good and the stand-alone books are solid too. Red Country was my favorite; replace the swords for colt peace makers and you would swear it was a western.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2015
  5. PS-RagE

PS-RagE "R" for Adventure JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Just finished the "Nantucket" trilogy by S.M. Stirling. Very cool "alternate reality" story where modern-day Nantucket Island is thrown 5000 years into the past.

Now, I have started the "Emberverse" series also by S.M. Stirling. This is the other side of the Nantucket story where the modern world suddenly finds the laws of physics changed so that electricity doesn't flow and gunpowder doesn't burn (not surprisingly, it is the end of civilization).

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2015
  6. forbes617

forbes617 Huge member

I just finished Lexicon by Max Barry.

I enjoyed it. I would describe it as X Men mixed with Pulp Fiction... I think

7. El Gringo

El Gringo dashing devil

Dandelion Wine - Ray Bradbury

8. Virgil

Virgil Brigade Member Brigade Member

'No Country for Old Men' (for the fourth time...), 'Monster Hunter' series, Modern Bride

9. Rover

Rover Rock N' Roll Outlaw JDBA Official Member

McCarthy is good stuff. I still need to read his major stuff.

Just finished Ellis's The Rules of Attraction. Bleak and mind-bending but also incredibly funny. Reading Bastard out of Carolina at the moment. Depressing but important.

10. El Gringo

El Gringo dashing devil

A Moveable Feast - Hemingway

Kelper likes this.
  11. Rhonda

Rhonda knife diva Lady Devil Brigade Member

Just about to finish up "Lest Darkness Fall," by L. Sprague de Camp. Is about an archaeologist from the late 1930's who fell thru a floor and landed back in time to 6th Century Italy, right before the Dark Ages began.

12. PS-RagE

PS-RagE "R" for Adventure JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I'm on book 9 of the Emberverse series now: "Lord of the Mountains". Really enjoying this series. Shame it ends with the next book.

13. tubtar

tubtar high caliber consecrator Moderator Super Moderator Brigade Member

" Why Wages Don't Fall During a Recession " by Truman F. Bewley.
    Fucking Kevin Winter started it...........then I was given the book by someone at the University of Minnesota.
    I am cramming my fucking brain with useless ( to me ) knowledge , and it is drier than............well , face it , it is a text book for an economics class.
    I don't particularly like it , but I am dedicated to finishing the Goddamned thing. :bwah::bwah::bwah:

14. nocheese4u

I have been reading Orson Scott Card lately. Got myself caught up on the Ender universe and am now reading the Tales of Alvin Maker. I really liked Ender's Game and have an addict disposition so I must finish all the books he wrote! I probably cleared a good 2 feet of shelf space at Half Price Books!

15. M.Reno

M.Reno Cowboy JDBA Official Member

The White Night
    Ninth book of The Dresden Files
    By Jim Butcher

Very fun series to read. Have enjoyed them thoroughly!!

16. norcal13

norcal13 rated "e" for evil Brigade Member

the thorn prince trilogy - bleak as fuck... damn good.

the first law trilogy by joe abercrombie - best viking books ever.

SlightChance likes this.
  17. Alexander7

Alexander7 Little member

malcom gladwell outliers

18. wcjohn

wcjohn Sum Quod Sum JDBA Official Member

“I’ve fought in three campaigns,” he began. “In seven pitched battles. In countless raids and skirmishes and desperate defences, and bloody actions of every kind. I’ve fought in the driving snow, the blasting wind, the middle of the night. I’ve been fighting all my life, one enemy or another, one friend or another. I’ve known little else. I’ve seen men killed for a word, for a look, for nothing at all. A woman tried to stab me once for killing her husband, and I threw her down a well. And that’s far from the worst of it. Life used to be cheap as dirt to me. Cheaper.

“I’ve fought ten single combats and I won them all, but I fought on the wrong side and for all the wrong reasons. I’ve been ruthless, and brutal, and a coward. I’ve stabbed men in the back, burned them, drowned them, crushed them with rocks, killed them asleep, unarmed, or running away. I’ve run away myself more than once. I’ve pissed myself with fear. I’ve begged for my life. I’ve been wounded, often, and badly, and screamed and cried like a baby whose mother took her tit away. I’ve no doubt the world would be a better place if I’d been killed years ago, but I haven’t been, and I don’t know why.”

He looked down at his hands, pink and clean on the stone. “There are few men with more blood on their hands than me. None, that I know of. The Bloody-Nine they call me, my enemies, and there’s a lot of ’em. Always more enemies, and fewer friends. Blood gets you nothing but more blood. It follows me now, always, like my shadow, and like my shadow I can never be free of it. I should never be free of it. I’ve earned it. I’ve deserved it. I’ve sought it out. Such is my punishment.”
    ― Joe Abercrombie, The Blade Itself

"You gotta be Realistic" - Logan Ninefingers :jdwink2:

19. Fenlore

Fenlore I am Spartacus! Brigade Member

Just finished "The TimeKeepers War" part 1. Decent read, predictable but decent. Good enough that I read through it in a day anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2016
  20. GEEZER

GEEZER Beware The Ides of March Brigade Member

Wayne Goddards' $50 Knife Shop.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2016