1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Books.

wes Apr 26, 2005

1. PS-RagE

PS-RagE "R" for Adventure JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I'm on book three of the Final Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. If you've read the first six, you'll enjoy the final four :thumbsup:

nocheese4u likes this.
  2. dymond47

dymond47 Better than gold or platinum

biographies and a big Louis Lamour fan.yes, i am old..

3. gza

gza Huge member

2666, by Roberto BolaƱo. His final work. I'm about 3/4 through and it's really excellent.

"A sketch of the industrial landscape in the third world... a piece of reportage about the current situation in Mexico, a panorama of the border, a serious crime story, for fuck's sake."

4. gza

gza Huge member

Got "The Complete Sherlock Holmes" narrated by Simon Vance on Audible, I'm about halfway through. 58 hours of content for one credit (15 bucks), not bad. The novels are great, and most of the short stories are similarly enjoyable. Plots can be a little thin, but they're mostly just devices to showcase Watson and Holmes messing up some baddies anyway.

5. TacoMan5000

TacoMan5000 TacoDevilMan

Just finished Orcs, The Forever War, and The Red Knight. The latter was definitely the best of the three.

6. norcal13

norcal13 rated "e" for evil Brigade Member

just read adrian mckinty's trio of murder mystery novels set in belfast during the troubles.
    nice chunk of noir.
    well worth a read.

7. tubtar

tubtar high caliber consecrator Moderator Super Moderator Brigade Member

This fucked with me hard........I read " The Only Thing Worth Dying For " by Eric Blehm , which chronicled the exploits of one of the very early Special Forces A teams sent to Afghanistan.
    GREAT read !
    Laid the foundation for much of how the war was executed , for good or ill , and their experiences with the few locals in the south that would stand up against the Taliban , including Hamid Karzai.
    I highly recommend this one.
    BUT...........at the same time , I am reading " The Operators " , which told of General Stan McChrystal's rise and ultimate fall in the more recent past.....2009-2010........how he was groomed to take over the war effort , how the political forces worked for and against the troops.
    An amazing insight that anyone who has served will maybe not be surprised , but still enjoy reading.
    The thing both books highlight is the waste that accompanies war and the magnificent people we sent over there for reasons that many of them still question.
    The Operators had me so fucking mad that I could feel my personal triggers.......the clenched jaw , gritting teeth , changing breathing patterns and a narrowing focus.
    Very well written , though the author's role in the story vacillates from making perfect sense to leaving me wondering what his motivations were.
    The Only Thing Worth Dying For was a tough read because of the way it crossed paths with some of my personal experiences and the event that starts winding down the story.
    I was , at one point , sobbing as I read..........it is that graphic and tragic.
    Books don't affect me like that as a rule.
    Incredibly powerful book right there.
    If you want an insight to our involvement in Afghanistan , these two will do it nicely.
    I don't recommend reading them at the same time. :thumbsup:

8. tubtar

tubtar high caliber consecrator Moderator Super Moderator Brigade Member

Right in my wheel house.........I will look for them.:jdwink2:

9. norcal13

norcal13 rated "e" for evil Brigade Member

he's got another set of three about a young irish man coming to the US and getting involved in the underworld.
    pretty fucking stellar writing.

10. gza

gza Huge member

11. ster91b

ster91b Paloozster! Brigade Member

12. GEEZER

GEEZER Beware The Ides of March Brigade Member

Dirt...

13. El Gringo

El Gringo dashing devil

Re-reading 'South of The Northeast Kingdom' by David Mamet...
    I do tend to read the same books over & over...I'm such a tard that its like reading them for the first time a lot.

I got this one in '04. Its basically about life living in Vermont...yet its much more. I think National Geographic got Dave to write about Vermont and he wove it into a story about life that just happens to take place in Vermont.

Its what I'd call a 'comfort read'... its short; at 152 pages. And its just right for bed time page turning.

14. Rover

Rover Rock N' Roll Outlaw JDBA Official Member

Bukowski is great stuff! The first novels I REALLY enjoyed.

Finishing up Clive Barker's The Inhuman Condition. I havn't read much horror outside of the occasional King novel but I really enjoyed this collection. Good wierd horror.

Just starting Hawke's John Milton: A Hero for our Time. Looks to be an interesting read.

15. rudechuck

rudechuck Worst Blood Brigade Member

I finished reading Southern Gods by John Hornor Jacobs. As a fan of blues and horror stories, the cover alone is what got me.

[​IMG]

It was pretty good, but lacked a little in character development. I didn't feel really invested in the outcome. It was a quick read - only 300 pages.

I also read The Stake and The Traveling Vampire Show by Richard Laymon. Both were also quick reads, but lots more character development. Laymon can be off-putting sometimes with over the top graphic sexual violence, but the two above are on the tamer side (for Laymon) and I really got into them both.

After several decades, I'm finally getting around to reading Salem's Lot by Stephen King.

16. wcjohn

wcjohn Sum Quod Sum JDBA Official Member

Try Weaveworld if you haven't already. Another tale from Mr. Barker.

17. Rover

Rover Rock N' Roll Outlaw JDBA Official Member

Cool. I actually just picked up a copy of Weaveworld I found in a bargain bin. Probably start that one next.

18. PS-RagE

PS-RagE "R" for Adventure JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

"The Great and Secret Show" is another great one

19. kd0g

kd0g JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Weaveworld is great. So was Imajica. I need to read The Scarlet Gospels now, have to finish the Game of Thrones series first though.
    LOVE Clive Barker.

Some other favorite authors:
    William Gibson
    Neil Gaiman
    Tolkien
    Hubert Selby Jr.
    Stephen King
    George Orwell
    Aldous Huxley
    Terry Brooks

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2015
  20. forbes617

forbes617 Huge member

Law Man By Hopwood is one of my favorites. I mainly read non fiction.