1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Books.

wes Apr 26, 2005

1. buddy

buddy Slide to unlock JDBA Official Member

perhaps my favorite books are
    "The Stranger" by Albert Camus.
    "The idiot" by Dostoevsky.
    "East of Eden" by John Steinbeck
    "Catcher in the Rye" by Jd Salinger

ScottG likes this.
  2. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade LUC4 JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Congratulations, you just made the FBIs 10 most wanted :jdwink2::bwah:

Reading Stranger in a Strange Land for the first time in 20 years. Heinlein is still one of my favorites for sci fi.

littlejoey likes this.
  3. jade

jade Born to be wild Lady Devil

Dmitry Glukhovsky - Metro 2033 is an amazing book everybody should read.

4. exile82187

exile82187 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Beat you to it 3 times already even played the game twice through.........book was better:bwah:

5. TacoMan5000

TacoMan5000 TacoDevilMan

The sequel is supposed to be amazing. My Xbox 360 got fucked during Sandy so I have not played it yet. I liked shooting out the lightbulbs with the pneumatic rifle in the original.

6. corjzg

corjzg Hittin' Switches

Just finished "Live by Night" by Dennis Lehane. Solid period piece. Rate it an 8.5 of 10.

Some other books from this year/summer, title/author/rating/comments:

Great Escapes of WWII
    by George Sullivan (still reading)
    How To Stay Alive In The Woods by Bradford Angier. 10/10 (an oldie from '56 chock full of still-relevant info)
    The Iceman: Confessions of a Mafia Contract Killer by Philip Carlo. 9/10 (a rare re-read for me. wow)
    American Sniper by Chris Kyle. 9/10 (loved Kyle's humility, truly was his brother's keeper til the end, RIP)
    Custom Knifemaking: 100 Custom Knife Related Projects in the Making by David Darom 11/10 (amazing stuff)
    No Easy Day by Mark Owen 10/10 (rare detailing of the actual rise-up-the-ladder to DEVGRU)
    Seal Team Six by Howard Wasdin 8.5/10 (good read w/some cool stories)
    Calvin & Hobbes by Bill Watterson 10/10 (series re-read. loved these books since the late 80s)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2013
  7. SlightChance

SlightChance Miller's Maddness JDBA Official Member

Just finished Red County by Joe Abercrombie. It is the 3rd standalone book in his fantasy universe after the first law trilogy.

If you like sex, violence, and gritty fantasy with minimal magic and lots of axes then definitely give him a try. Or if you like The Malazan Book Of the Fallen, I also recommend.

8. corjzg

corjzg Hittin' Switches

I'm going to be a plug in here for an author who is new to me, but not to the NYT bestseller lists:

Brad Thor

He's like Tom Clancy on speed, and (dare I say) his knowledge of the military (or more specifically, Spec Ops) is much more current and vast than Clancy's. His novels move at lightning speed and I can't seem to put them down. An 1100-page Clancy could take me 2 weeks, but a 400-page Brad Thor? 2-3 days. The main character is Scot Harvath, an ex-SEAL, Secret Service agent-turned-Jack Bauer-type. He might remind Clancy fans a little of a young John Clark, though a bit less rigid, personality-wise. I read Foreign Influence on a whim, and have ripped through half his catalog in the last month. Start with Lions of Lucerne, you won't be disappointed. He has about 10 or so novels under his belt, and they aren't super-long like some of Clancy's. Most run 325-425 pages.

9. SinCity

SinCity Dr. Strangelove

I have read fiction but it's been close to 30 years since. Stuff like Peter Benchley, Jack London etc.. For some time now it's been all non-fiction, mostly history. US, Nam, WWII, etc..

Right now I'm about halfway into a book called 1491, Charles Mann. It's about a theory of the Americas before Columbus. Very interesting stuff.
    http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2002/03/1491/302445/

My Mother gave me for my B-day the book American Gun, Chris Kyle. RIP Chris
    That's next on the list.

10. nostimos

nostimos JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Good for you! These are quality books.
    But yeah, you've been flagged.

I was too, but I've been on a strict Bukowski diet.
    So the FBI took me off the "list" since they think I'm just an alcoholic now. :jdwink2::bwah:

11. RNST

RNST Entrusted Devil Super Moderator

I have finished

No Easy Day

Mark Owen a pseudonym who was a Seal Team Six member who took down UBL. Fairly good book outlining the Seal Team Six's preparation to deploy to Pakistan to find UBL.

I am now reading

Neil Young - "Waging Heavy Peace" an interesting autobiography :D

Neil, pulls NO punches!

Henry Crumpton aka "Hank"

The Art of Intelligence: Lessons from a Life in the CIA's Clandestine Service

Hank spent 24 years in the CIA Clandestine Service working on numerous continents recruiting CIA assets. Very interesting read! Google him and watch his interview on 60 Minutes. He was one of the operators first on the ground in Afghanistan after 9/11.

12. littlejoey

littlejoey High on a Mountain Top Brigade Member

in a beat mood...

recently read:

Post Office - Bukowski
    On The Road and Dharma Bums - Kerouac

Great reads... now, I'm ready to hit the road. I need to find Henry Chinaski.
    :unintroduced:

13. AradOnRadar

AradOnRadar Huge member

14. Chris Snow

Chris Snow Little member

I love knives but books are my life. I love Sci Fi and Fantasy like George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones to the tv people) and Terry Pratchett's Discworld books. Right now reading The Expanse series by James S. A. Corey. I also read a ton of historical books especially WW2 history. William Manchest's 3 volume history of Churchill is an amazing read!

15. Clovis

Clovis Brigade Member Brigade Member

Just finished "Les Miserables" last night, wish I had read the book before I watched the movie.

16. PS-RagE

PS-RagE "R" for Adventure JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

That movie was terrible. I saw the play in Toronto with my wife a month ago and it was amazing.

17. PS-RagE

PS-RagE "R" for Adventure JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I'm reading the Destroyermen series by Taylor Anderson right now and am enjoying it immensely. My favorite read for this year, I think.

18. Clovis

Clovis Brigade Member Brigade Member

The movie did suck but my wife HAD to see it, maybe if I had read the book first it wouldn't have seemed like time stood still the entire time they sang every word. Musicals aren't my thing anyway, I think it would have done better at the box office if they had not done the musical thing. But wtf do I know.
    The book was slow at times but a great story once you finish.

19. Onehousecat

Onehousecat JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

There are some tremendous recommendations in this thread. They jogged my memory, and I came up with:

Scottish author Ian Rankin. He did a series of police procedurals about John Rebus. If you liked the M. Connelly series of Harry Bosch book, check him out. Rebus is much like Bosch, just more so.

Speaking of Scottish authors, I really like Denise Mina, Stephen Booth, most of Val McDermid's books, and several others that escape me right now.

The mention of "Tigrero" made me think of the books of Jim Corbett. He was a British civil servant in India during the early part of the 20th Century. He was dispatched to deal with tigers and leopards who had eaten an excessive number of Indians. The books have as much info on the culture and people of India as they do on the actual hunting. "Man-eaters of Kumaon", "The Man-eating Leopard of Rudraprayag". and "The Temple Tiger and more man-eaters of Kumaon" are the main ones. The plight of the villagers at that time was heart rending.

In the military history line, I would recommend "Tennozan". In Japanese, it roughly means The Final Battle. It is pretty grim, but one hell of a good read abouth the battle for Okinawa.

Most of the sci-fi I loved has already been mentioned, but one I really liked was "The Traveler in Black" by John Brunner. "Destination Void" and "The Jesus Incident" by Frank Herbert were pretty good also.

If you want an interesting biography, try "The Man Who Loved Numbers" about the Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan. He died before 1930, but mathematicians are still working on his notebooks.

ded i likes this.
  20. Rhonda

Rhonda knife diva Lady Devil Brigade Member

God blast, I mean bless...:devilzeek

Nobody around here read a book in the past year?

I just finished "The Philosopher's Stone" by Joseph P. Farrell, and am now moving forward with "Otto Rahn and The Quest for the Holy Grail" by Nigel Graddon :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2014