1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Books.

wes Apr 26, 2005

1. GEEZER

GEEZER Beware The Ides of March Brigade Member

When I was a kid, "My Side of the Mountain" was my favorite book.

As an adult, I still like "Presumed Innocent".

2. SlightChance

SlightChance Miller's Maddness JDBA Official Member

Why did I just find this thread?

I just finished pineapple grenade by Tim dorsey and picked up his next book Riptide ultra glide. Before that I read the furies of calderon series by Jim butcher (I am pretty sure) and before that it was the malazan book of the Fallen series (GO GET IT) and before that a memory of light which was the last book in the wheel of time series.
    Can anyone recommend some good science fiction? I am feeling burnt out on fantasy.

3. TacoMan5000

TacoMan5000 TacoDevilMan

http://www.amazon.com/Dune-40th-Ann...s&ie=UTF8&qid=1367703427&sr=1-1&keywords=dune

http://www.amazon.com/Stranger-Stra...eywords=stranger+in+a+strange+land+unabridged

http://www.amazon.com/Tunnel-Sky-Ro...=1367703491&sr=1-1&keywords=tunnel+in+the+sky

http://www.amazon.com/Pandoras-Star...8&qid=1367703512&sr=1-1&keywords=pandora+star

Go buy those.

4. krhen

krhen Huge member

Stephen King's Gunslinger/Dark Tower series is my all-time fav. Totally out there fantasy with unique flavor.

Just wish the bozos at Universal or somewhere would movie-ize it. :thumbsup:

5. tubtar

tubtar high caliber consecrator Moderator Super Moderator Brigade Member

Well..........yes and no.
    I have read the entire series to date , and I am pretty sure we have seen the last chapters. Though Steve-a-reno can pull some strange stunts.
    But tell me how many really good books translated to really good movies ?
    Mr. King has has a tremendously successful run with his work , and yet there are some that are tapered on both ends and still steaming compared to the written word. Dead Zone ? Firestarter ? The Stand should have fallen over. All great reads that for what ever reason , made mediocre movies / mini series. Even The Shining had it's plodding moments , though overall it was very strong.
    Hollywood has a tendency to add their own " magic " to books.....as in " it needed a stronger female lead " or " we need to ethnicize ( my word....to add people of different what ever for the sake of diversity ) it for a broader marketing appeal " , or " because this actor is hot , so they will star.....even though the role is all wrong for them. "
    I don't know if this horse has been run , but a thread on which books made it to good movies would be interesting.
    With a long series , continuity is key for any credibility , so casting would be a monumental task.......I tend to agree that the Dark Tower has everything a god story needs.
    I just don't think Hollywood is creative enough to make it work.

6. krhen

krhen Huge member

I think the one thing that has changed (perhaps for the better or worse) is the exuberance of CG in movies now, that I think will lend to better adaptations. To me, part of the challenges in translating are due to the medium - the inability to translate the fantastic of the written word to the visual - and then the other part is story. The first challenge can be solved in new ways nowdays. The second - I just hold out high hopes :thumbsup:

7. creich420

creich420 Enormous member

8. kayakjax

kayakjax Deep & Wide Brigade Member

In honor of the upcoming movie of Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game", I just reread the Ender books, "Ender's Game", "Speaker for the Dead", "Xenocide" and "Children of the Mind" as well as "Ender's Shadow" (which is basically "Ender's Game" as told from Bean's point of view).

I'm a big John Sandford fan. He releases two books a year, a Lucas Davenport "Prey" book in the spring, and a Virgil Flowers ("that fuckin' Flowers") book in the fall. I just bought the new one "Silken Prey" yesterday. Sandford is pretty much the only author I buy in hardback the week (or first day) they are available.

I'm waiting until I can read it in one gulp. I'll probably end up reading it through the night tonight, because I don't know if I can wait much longer.

9. krhen

krhen Huge member

I also always loved Michael Moorcock's (no comments from the peanut gallery please) Eternal Champion books - Elric, Corum, Hawkmoon, and their ilk. Great old pulp fantasy a'la Robert E. Howard. If you like dark brooding heroes being cursed to kill all they love - they're for you :manganr:

10. tubtar

Good point on CGI , krhen. That could possibly carry a lot of the movie.
    But there are some very complex relationships with the characters that would have to be acted........not saying it can't be done.
    But if they pull it off , they will have earned their paychecks.

krhen likes this.
  11. Shike

Shike knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Here is a book I recommend:
    Congo Kitabu by Jean Pierre Hallet. Hallet worked as an agronomist for the Belgian government in the Congo. Book describes some amazing tales living among several African tribes all over the continent, including the Masai and the pigmies and also the leopard people. I found the book hard to put down. Only trouble is it may be hard to find, but if you enjoy real life adventure books, it is definitely worth it.
    Two other books that I really enjoyed are:
    Colonel Percy Fawcett's Expedition to the Lost City. It's about Fawcett's expeditions to the Mato Grosso.
    And Tigrero, about Sasha Siemel and his adventures as a Jaguar hunter in the Mato Grosso. He hunted jaguars with a spear:manganr:

12. krhen

krhen Huge member

Yep I'm with ya. Occasionally Hollywood surprises us. Cross yer fingers - first that the morons who make the decisions make the right one, then that the right actors shine

13. droid

droid This IS the droid you are looking for! Brigade Member

Jack L. Chalker's "Well of Souls" series. They can be hard to find but are outstanding.

Look for anything by Roger Zelazny or Piers Anthony.

Isaac Asimov, Robert Heinlein, Ray Bradbury and Arthur C. Clarke are always a good bet. Classic authors of the genre.

For something a little different, read "Downward to the Earth" by Robert Silverburg. Kind of a Sci-Fi, psychological thriller a-la "Altered States" with the requisite love story thrown in.

For something REALLY strange, read "Transfigurations" by Michael Bishop. That'll stick with you for a while!

For an Earthier feel that's more a story of decadence and how society is never more than a week or two from breaking down, read "Dhalgren" by Samuel R. Delany... One of the most mind altering books I've ever read! If you're new to Sci-Fi, I wouldn't recommend starting with this one... It's loaded with negative social commentary, drug use, homosexuality, rape, gang activity and has a post-apocalyptic setting although it seems to affect just ONE area... Strange book, but then again, Delany is an unusual person.

Anyway, I could go on forever as I've read Science Fiction books since I was 9 or 10.

Again, The Well World Saga series of books by Jack L. Chalker is excellent. You won't be able to put them down once you start! :bwah:

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2013
  14. wcjohn

wcjohn Sum Quod Sum JDBA Official Member

BIG :thumbsup:

Dan Simmons Ilium. Then continue the story with Olympus. Awesome read!

9 am and I just shed a tear. I'm gonna go hug my dog.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2013
  15. tubtar

Droid put one right down the center of the plate.
    Heinlein is as good as it gets.
    That is a bold statement , especially given the genre.
    But when I am reading a story he wrote in 1953 and he is talking about a unified Europe , under one currency.
    That is one of many examples where he is prophetic regarding how the future pans out..........and he is just spinning a yarn.
    Telling a story , and always a good one.
    I have yet to be disappointed by anything of his I have read.
    For me lately , I am on a re-reading jag.
    Hunter Thompson's Hells Angels and now some Charles Bukowski collections.
    I'm not looking to learn , just copping a quick literary buzz.
    An intellectual one hitter that typically leaves me smiling and hurts no one........even if I get caught. :jdwink2::bwah::bwah::bwah:

Ken Brock likes this.
  16. waterdogs

waterdogs Brigade Member Brigade Member

"Illusions" (The Adventures Of A Reluctant Messiah)....hadn`t read this since the late-70s, and a recent conversation with my best friend (of 50 years) prompted me to pick it up and read it again.

It`s one of those tales that leaves a lot open to the interpretation of the reader.

Interesting read....:thumbsup:

17. exile82187

exile82187 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Been reading the Jack Reacher series of books by Lee Child, pretty good books so far:thumbsup:

18. creich420

creich420 Enormous member

Those are really good books.

19. exile82187

exile82187 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Yeah I am already on the third book in the series started reading them last month, I usually only read in bed but with these books I was actually taking them with me and reading them when I had a free moment.:thumbsup:

20. SlightChance

SlightChance Miller's Maddness JDBA Official Member

Just bought dune. tried to get the ebook but amazon sucks ass. It is like they dont know that you can pirate ebooks or something.

I also got Lets Explore Diabetes with Owls by David Sedaris. He is hilarious. I met him once at a Barnes and Nobles in Winston Salem Nc and he gave everyone gifts. Tampons, asprin, condoms, etc... He is really funny and crazy smart. Often while reading his essays I will read parts outloud to people I think they are so funny. He asked me why I wasnt having buttsex in a crashed car and then gave me a condom and said "really, dick plus butt equals great summer". Some people think he is a tiny bit offensive...

And I picked up Rip Tide Ultra Glide by Tim Dorsey; it is his newest so I figured might as well get the physical copy. If you like any of the following things you should give him a look:Florida, Guns, bad guys killed in insane and outlandish ways, Elvis, Hemmingway, Drugs, Alcohol, satire, spys, history, picking up chicks at sex anyonmous meetings, Lenny and George type protagonists, or crime novels. His books are some of my favorites and I find myself reading and re-reading them. They arent terribly long either but still satisfying.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2013
    kayakjax likes this.