1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Books.

wes Apr 26, 2005

1. kayakjax

kayakjax Deep & Wide Brigade Member

I just won an ebay auction for paperback copies of the entire Travis McGee series by John D. MacDonald.

There are 21 books in the series, from "The Deep Blue Goodbye" published in 1964 to "The Lonely Silver Rain" published in 1985, the year before Mr. MacDonald's death.

He was my favorite author, and I read all of these books years ago, but somehow let all my copies slip away.

He probably wrote 80 or 90 books in several genres (including science fiction). I used to carry an index card in my wallet with all the John D. MacDonald books I didn't have when I haunted used book stores. I think I finally got to within eight or ten of having them all at one point.

I'm really excited about being able to stack them in chronological order and consume them all this summer.

2. wcjohn

wcjohn Sum Quod Sum JDBA Official Member

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. :thumbsup:

ScottG likes this.
  3. tubtar

tubtar high caliber consecrator Moderator Super Moderator Brigade Member

Just finished a book called " Wrecking Crew " about the studio musicians who worked in L.A. from the early sixties through the mid seventies.
    Great read , and some real surprises. These cats ( and one kitten ) were on virtually every top 40 hit and played on albums that you never would have suspected them to be on.
    Example......... the Beach Boys toured extensively throughout this era. Brian stayed home and wrote and produced. These guys , including some names you will recognize , played the instruments and the band added the vocals when they got back to town.
    It shocked me just how few bands actually played on their own albums. :bwah:
    Good book !

4. Clydetz

Clydetz Forever straight and true Brigade Member

OK all you avid book readers, I have my NOOK up and running. Give me some suggestions of books about dogs, mystery and crime to download.

5. GlockNRolla

GlockNRolla Intergalactic Booty Hunter

The Hound of the Baskervilles :ropeman:

Dogs - check
    Mystery - check
    Crime - check

[​IMG]

6. Matt Cucchiara

Matt Cucchiara KNIFEMAKER extraordinaire Knife Maker or Craftsman

If your into dogs and racing get the book called The Art of Racing in the Rain. Pretty decent story and its being made into a movie now, Patrick Dempsy plays the main lead and he races in real life so it should be good.

Also anything by John Sandford, especially the Prey series, really a good read, start from the first Prey book and you will be hooked!

Matt

Clydetz likes this.
  7. Clydetz

Clydetz Forever straight and true Brigade Member

It's an oldie but goodie... thanks Glockster.

Thanks Matt. Awhile ago a woman friend told me to get 'A Dog's Purpose'.... a tearjerker (the book, not the woman) While picking that one up online, I also bought 'The Art of Racing in the Rain', 'Last Dog on the Hill', 'Until Tuesday', and 'Blind Hope'... all before I got the NOOK. Now I need something to download on the NOOK so I can try reading in bed again.

8. TopHat

TopHat Drivin' that train..... Brigade Member

Word around the campfire is that our very own Glenn....yes, that Glenn....has been shopping for some new books. Just don't eat anything he cooks.......

9. TacoMan5000

TacoMan5000 TacoDevilMan

Currently enjoying T.H. White's The Once and Future King. Merlyn is hilarious.

10. ded i

ded i Friend of The Devil Lady Devil

Yes! Wonderful read :ssmile:

11. TacoMan5000

TacoMan5000 TacoDevilMan

It got kind of 'meh' in the second part; I've gone back to Conan for now. :D

12. colter

colter Little member

Born under a bad sky- Jeffery St, Clair
    Burn Collector- Al Burian ( a collection of his zines)

13. Nathan Dewey

Nathan Dewey That guy you know Knife Maker or Craftsman

Yuri Storasi's "The Bobbything".
    Audiobook is 1 hour 18 minutes, maybe considered a novella?
    A story of stolen innocence, victim becoming victimizer, and leaving the past behind. Read by Malcolm McDowell. It's disturbing and graphic but still tastefull considering the subject matter. I listened to the prologue and first chapter on YT and was hooked.
    [video=youtube;cFXELeGo05U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFXELeGo05U[/video]

14. nocheese4u

nocheese4u Notch'yo' cheese! JDBA Official Member

A Memory of Light coming to a bookstore 1/8! The final Wheel of Time!

15. GEEZER

GEEZER Beware The Ides of March Brigade Member

Lucifers' Hammer.

Still a good read today.

16. lostinaurora

lostinaurora Little member

living with honor - salvatore guinta.

fantastic read!

17. TacoMan5000

TacoMan5000 TacoDevilMan

Starting Dune for the third or fourth time.

droid likes this.
  18. Bill T

Bill T Snatch Boogie Knife Maker or Craftsman

Last year, after trying to interest my son in anything other than his Xbox..which he lost privileges for..I got him 2 of my favorite books I read as a kid.

Call of the Wild and The Odyssey.

Now all's he does is read...cause he still isn't allowed to have Xbox..

As a side note on The Odyssey. It has my favorite Character of all time..... Odysseus's dog Argus.

Argus too, waited 20 years for Odysseus to return.. sniffed his hand, licked him, then died. His duty to his Master fulfilled.
    Truly one of the finest parts of the story for myself..

19. OnceBitten

OnceBitten Momma said I'd go blind Brigade Member

Yellow Pages

20. TacoMan5000

TacoMan5000 TacoDevilMan

Damn, he done fucked up good. :bwah: That is pretty much how it happened for me, too, when I was young; maybe nine or ten years old. I got grounded for something, probably cursing at my mother or some shit, and all I could do was read. So I grabbed a copy of William Sleator's The Boy Who Reversed Himself. It is a fucking trip, and I just have not stopped since then.