1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Bohica!!!

PIC Apr 18, 2010

1. PIC

PIC Unchained

when you're tired of the same old shit!!:demented: BOHICA!!!

anyone on here tried one of these conversions w/ their AR-15..?
    looks interesting....:devil1:

http://www.bohicaarms.com/

2. bohica1998

bohica1998 Huge member

YIKES!!! Bet that has a bit more kick than your standard black rifle!

3. IWantThatKnife

IWantThatKnife I want that knife Knife Maker or Craftsman

I believe there's a company

called Safe Harbor that has been making a .50 upper for a few years now - bolt action, short barrel, and a side mounted fixed magazine that holds 4 rounds. On your AR lower...

[​IMG]

4. Stabber

Stabber Stabber's Steel Connection Knife Maker or Craftsman

5. waterdogs

waterdogs Brigade Member Brigade Member

Maybe *just a little*.... (it probably digs the fuckin` bipod into the dirt right up to the pivot point)

6. BlueSkyJaunte

BlueSkyJaunte waster of perfectly good steel

There are quite a few folks making .50 BMG uppers. Offhand I can think of...

ALS - 50bmg.net
    Safety Harbor Firearms (above)
    BOHICA (OP's post)
    Tactilite
    Ferret50

I'm torn. I want a .50 but can't allocate the funds to a $4000+ gun that will get shot once a month. So cost-wise a .50 upper is the way to go.

However, I've read/heard more than a few horror stories about these things, and don't like the idea of setting off a small bomb next to my face, contained only by some contraption engineered in a garage.

So I'm holding off....and still on hold.

7. 50calmike

50calmike 50 caliber Devil

The recoil is negligible, what gets you is the shock from the muzzle blast.
    I've fired the Ferret, Grizzly, Safe harbor, a converted Boyes, Barrett, Ma Deuce semi + full and quite a few others. I own an Armalite AR 50, of all the ones I've fired, the AR 50 is my favorite, only drawback is that it is a single shot.
    The only thing that concerns me about the upper is the fact that the receiver is aluminum and the only thing keeping the thing together is those silly little pins. There just is not, IMO, enough metal around the pins for my taste.

8. BoerBoelGuy

BoerBoelGuy The Devil's Dogpound

Personally i dont like .50 uppers on standard AR lowers for the reason Mike mentions above. I myself shoot a Single Shot Serbu BFR on a regular basis and swear by her :madaddy:

9. PIC

PIC Unchained

some good points here. thanks guys. Aaron- I think you are correct
    about the part of setting off a small bomb next to your face.
    I think w/ these you would definitely extend the stock alllll the way out.

Mike- say these things are only held together w/ cheap little pins..?
    the single-shot part doesn't bother me. with the cost of .50cal loads
    as much as they are.

BBGuy- is this the gun you have...? this is a great deal on single shot.

http://www.serbu.com/top/bfg50.php

10. BoerBoelGuy

BoerBoelGuy The Devil's Dogpound

Yes sir (Although Mine sports a rubber Hogue grip w/ Finger grooves), and Mark is great to deal with as well, please holler if in need of any Serbu Intel :devil1: Think i wound up with Gun ( w/ RIP engraved ), Bipod, Heavy Rings and El Cheapo Case for WELLLL under $2500.00 FLA sales tax, shipping and transfer all included. When "GunTest" put the Serbu up against three other of the Big named single shot .50's she came out shining....

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2010
  11. Stabber

Stabber Stabber's Steel Connection Knife Maker or Craftsman

I think Wastson Weaponry was the first to build a 50 AR upper. There was a lot of contoversy over stressing out the Lower receiver. I sure wouldn't go plinking with it on my Pre-ban lowers!!:devil1:

12. BlueSkyJaunte

BlueSkyJaunte waster of perfectly good steel

I'm not concerned about the lower issue. #1, a lower costs me under a hundred bucks. Who cares if you need to replace it? #2, You're way more likely to see deformation or wear first, rather than a catastrophic failure. #3, I don't think the majority of the force is actually on the pins themselves, unless the fit of the upper to the lower is really poor at the back. #4, I have heard/read of exactly ZERO issues with the lowers.

What I *am* concerned about are things like out-of-battery ignition. I have heard/read of more than one case where this happened with more than one brand. Results were uniformly UGLY. Supposedly these issues have been fixed with the problem uppers but it just points to the fact that these things are STILL garage engineered.

I'll keep waiting. Maybe I'll call Safety Harbor and see if their mag-fed version is still available and whether they'll pay my hospital bills when their gun goes kB!.