1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice
  1. benzen12

benzen12 Little Member

So for the past couple weeks I've been debating getting an 87. Since then I've seen them pop up more and more on fb groups for sale, or ppl displaying and showing them. Really on the verge of getting one. Just wanting to ask respectively if its something I should go for or not. Thanks all!

2. KaptainKürbstomp

KaptainKürbstomp Little Member

The 87 makes a very, very pleasant sound when flipping but I'm not a fan of the handles aside from that. I think the blade design is absolutely beautiful personally and that's really what's kept me on the fence about getting one. I see them pop up here and there for ~$400 and I think it would be worth considering for that price, but I wouldn't pay $500+ for one.

Just my 2 cents

3. benzen12

benzen12 Little Member

Thank you for the input! I guess me I'm very skeptic of buying second hand. To me I guess the extra hundo is worth the security of getting a new knife versus something with unknown flaws. I have trouble trusting ppl I guess. The balisong community is pretty strong and upstanding but I don't trust ppl in general. I also don't know if there's a marked difference between "first production" models and the ones they sling new on different sites.

4. KaptainKürbstomp

KaptainKürbstomp Little Member

Well, you could look to buy new and still search for deals. I have a good relationship with an LGS that's also a Benchmade vendor and they give me a 20% discount. You could always try and find a vendor / dealer and try to negotiate on the price - no harm in trying!

5. benzen12

benzen12 Little Member

Good call man I might have to try that out. Thanks a million bud!

KaptainKürbstomp likes this.
  6. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

you could always go custom ,,Jason lyons has a Hellcat with the same blade and it's a great flipper more so the g10 ,,,heres the ti handle one ,pricing starts at 450.00 for a base price 45.00 more for bearings ,,then it's mosely cosmetic upgrades 28468323_1899500393417184_5842499450713410602_n.jpg g

Balibuyer likes this.
  7. Balibuyer

Balibuyer JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Yea......no brainer here. Or fuck it get both lol.

KaptainKürbstomp and begreen61 like this.
  8. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Good answer

9. GuItArMaN8373

GuItArMaN8373 JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

Love my 87. Feels so damn good, oozes quality. And that edge....is scalpel sharp to say the least.

WSMaga likes this.
  10. thatsagoodcut

thatsagoodcut Little Member

If you're going to flip it you'll need to remove the latch, the magnets are very heavy and makes one handle very imbalanced. If you're going to use it as an EDC you can leave it, and its quite good. Its an underrated production piece if you can appreciate the time, materials and machining of the billets it took to create.

As already mentioned they go used for $400 all the time, I bought mine used and had no problems for what its worth.

11. Tim Bacus

Tim Bacus JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

I was given an 87 as a Christmas present. Upon opening it she said 'now don't cut yourself'. Two flips later I had four cuts on the back of my finger. I'd never heard of Wharncliffe and at first glance it looked like a tanto! Nothing better than having a 14yo girl looking at you like you're an idiot. So new rule for me, look at the blade closely before you flip a new knife! As GuItArMaN8373 said, scalpel sharp.

WSMaga, leo and Xmegaman like this.
  12. Jedi87

Jedi87 Little Member

I’ve owned a lot of high quality Balisongs.

The 87 is the best quality and is tied for flipping with my 43.

I know it’s subjective but I feel it is worth every penny brand new and I actually bought 2 of them.

WSMaga likes this.
  13. Suits

Suits JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

I absolutely love mine. Waiting to get it back from benchmade (I damaged the blade) lol. It’s a great flipper, and the sound it makes is heaven.

Jedi87 likes this.
  14. GuItArMaN8373

GuItArMaN8373 JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

Oh yea, the sound is sexy as hell. Most people dissing this knife either don't like the blade style or don't agree with the price. But the work and materials used are what contribute to the high retail price.

WSMaga and Jedi87 like this.
  15. benzen12

benzen12 Little Member

Well...yesterday was payday. Placing my order as I speak. Can't wait!

Jedi87 and thatsagoodcut like this.
  16. Jedi87

Jedi87 Little Member

I see you have constructed a new lightsaber....

Xmegaman likes this.
  17. benzen12

benzen12 Little Member

In progress...yes

Jedi87 likes this.