1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Bm51 problems

lumsify May 2, 2012

1. lumsify

lumsify Huge member

so i tried removing my pocket clip from my bm51(i was following Calvins tutorial) and i got the first screw out and sanded down put it in without a problem. but on the next screw, i didnt sand off enough off. so now when i try to take the screw out, the pin and the screw rotate, so it wont come undone, and the handle now has play.what can i do to take the screw out?

2. EOD13

EOD13 Balisong Addict JDBA Official Member

I had the same problem on one of mine... send it to benchmade is my advice.... They told me that the clip isn't designed to be removed from it. I was like "Oh so NOW you tell me".

3. lumsify

lumsify Huge member

did they fix it for you?

4. McAhron

McAhron knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

If you used loctite use a soldering iron to heat the screw and that should break the bond.Otherwise push/put pressure sidewise on the clip to stop the pin from turning while twisting the screw.Or do the same after using some superglue to glue the pin to the clip.Use acetone to remove the glue.A last ditch attempt would be to use a hacksaw or file to cut a groove in the head and use a flatblade screwdriver to hold the pin.Youn can replace the pin with a 1/8th barrel pivot and two 256 screws.

5. Beelzebubbles

Beelzebubbles JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Did benchmade scold you for taking the knife apart and attempting to mod it before fixing it? Also, how does the 51 feel without the clip, I dunno if it's just a left hander thing or not but I can't find a comfortable way to deal with the clip while holding the knife open. This discomfort could also be due to the shorter length of the 51 moreso but taking the clip off may be the answer for me too.

6. bali-fan

bali-fan Huge member

I can't believe they designed it not to be removed. Not everyone likes pocket clips.

7. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock Bali Demon JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

That is fucked up.

Did Calvin mention he had the Canadian Version and not the US standard version?

:devilzeek

8. lumsify

lumsify Huge member

im sure they will scold me. i havent talked to them about it yet. im trying to see if i can send it in to get fixed, but i wouldnt take the clip off because youll probably end up in my situation

9. lumsify

lumsify Huge member

do you think if i sent it into benchmade they would fix it? even if they charged me? because i dont want to mess with it anymore than i already have

10. TheBombGamerTag

TheBombGamerTag BrokenBlades

Haha :devilzeek :thumbsup: nice Commander Glock!

11. McAhron

McAhron knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Why not call BM and ask:manganr:

12. EOD13

EOD13 Balisong Addict JDBA Official Member

Yeah that ARE really nice people on the phone!

13. lumsify

lumsify Huge member

will do, thanks! :thumbsup:

14. Beelzebubbles

Beelzebubbles JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Any word?

15. Quintocer0s

Quintocer0s Little member

I took apart my 42 and sanded down the handles, reset the pivot barrels poorly, broke the tip off, lost the tang pin and a screw, replaced the washers with pb, dropped the knife on concrete so much the blade chipped itself mostly dull, and bent the crap out of the spring trying to trade it with another knives spring, then left all the screws and latch hardware in a baggie. Lost one screw on my 51 and took the latch/clip hardware off, and its blade was even worse then my 42.

I took them to benchmade last week disassembled and didn't think about the warranty being voided till after I headed home. Got the package back two days ago, not a single word about warranties or shipping fees. Only thing they told me was that I couldn't get a new blade since they didn't have any (I didn't think they could just sharpen the tip back to normal). I got the knives back with a new latch spring, and pristine edges - you could not tell either knife had ever been dull in its lifetime. They even took the pivots out of the 42 and put them back in properly for me.

16. lumsify

lumsify Huge member

no. i tried calling them on the weekend but they were closed. and i had to work late today. so possibly tomorow ill call

17. lumsify

lumsify Huge member

seeing all that, it makes me confident that theyll fix mine. thanks man :ross:

18. Quintocer0s

Quintocer0s Little member

I figured you'd feel that way. Just make sure you loc-tite your screws though when you get it back, just realized that my screws aren't :/.