1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

bm42 pivots stuck in the handle

XxGRYMMxX Mar 24, 2014

1. XxGRYMMxX

XxGRYMMxX The Crayola Kid JDBA Official Member

Hey Guys, I just managed to pick up a BM42 at my local flea market at the knife store and even managed to get a good deal ($185 for it and its in pretty good shape). I took it home for a quick clean up and oil/locktite and I found that the female half of the pivots wont come out of the handles. I tried gentle taps with a hammer and a small punch and it didnt budge at all. Before I get all gung ho and do something dumb to damage my new knife I thought Id ask here if anyone else had an issue with stuck pivots.

p.s. I DID search for the answer first. 11 pages of results here about bali pivots and I didnt get the answer. Lots of stuff about pivots that get tight and stick but none about pivots getting stuck in the handle.

2. Ryanol

Ryanol SnarkMasterFunkyFresh JDBA Official Member

Never worked with them but they are press fit.

You might just have to give a little more elbow grease.

3. XxGRYMMxX

The female half is pressed in? It has the T8 torx bit not the hidden pins like the older ones. Im pretty sure I can just tap them out but I wanted to make sure they werent knurled or press fit.

4. Band-aid

Band-aid Stuck on 'em! JDBA Official Member

Coconutfilipino likes this.
  5. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

press fit...get a piece of wood dlill a hole larger than th pivot lay the handle on it and put your pin punch in there and start taping going from soft blows to harder...

6. XxGRYMMxX

Thanks guys!! Just tapped them out with a small drift and hammer and the very ends of the female piece of the pivots is knurled for a tight fit. A few taps with the hammer knocked them right out. Now for a clean up and some fresh loctite!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

7. hannam72

hannam72 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

That's a sweet deal and I just bought a 42 myself and I did what linos was saying. Calvin had a video about it.

8. XxGRYMMxX

Well, I got the pivots figured out and cleaned it up but I managed to strip the shit out of one of the pivot screws... I guess I'll be contacting Benchmade about some replacement screws...

9. chrisevo8

chrisevo8 Huge member

I put pb washers in my old 42 and they were press fit. Pain in the butt but it takes a little "effort" to get them out. Punch and hammer worked for me.

10. hannam72

hannam72 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Oh that sucks, I was so paranoid about that I've stripped the screws on so many cheap balis now with my newer ones I'm extra careful. Do they send new screws for free? and do you have to send your knife in too? And I took my pivots out to add pb washers too. It took some of the play out to almost none and flips much smoother now.

11. chrisevo8

chrisevo8 Huge member

I got some replacement screws for my 51 from
    Benchmade for free. I don't see having a problem getting any for the 42 for free as well. If you're in a rush it's best to call. It took them about a week to reply to me and then another week for them to send them out.

12. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Completely out of fucks to give Brigade Member

I like to take dremmel to the knurled section on the base of the pivot cup after I have pressed it out...only a little bit, just to smooth it down a touch, it helps press it back in easier...it still doesn't allow the pivot cup to turn once in the handle and I think it stresses the handles less...especially if you are doing it a few times to try to find the sweet spot with different thickness washers...

13. tx101

tx101 Stuck in the middle with you JDBA Official Member

@RD you should post the photo of the cracked 4x handles :devilzeek

14. XxGRYMMxX

When I get the new screws thats what I going to do too, I stripped the heads trying to pull the pivot back into the handle because of that knurling. I got some screws from a local hardware store (thanks to the hardware size thread here in the JDBA) but the heads are a little too big. I think a call to Benchmade will be the way to go to get another set and maybe I can get a spare set too. As a note, the pivot screws for the 42 are the same size as the pivot screws for the 51.