1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

BM T Latch owners please check it out.

Casey Jul 22, 2014

1. Casey

Casey JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I've been having troubles with my 47 t latch, and I was wondering if anyone else's tang cups look like this. All the pics I can find above the cups it's just straight, but here it's cast uneven with extra material... also the ends of the handles around the pivots, half the handle is thicker than the other half. Is this normal? What about inside of your handles around the pivots? Is it clean or rough with one half thicker than the other?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Inside the handle to show different thicknesses.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2014
  2. WyldStyl3

WyldStyl3 Never gunna give you up JDBA Official Member

Um, wut? It looks fine to me.

jjhamilton likes this.
  3. Casey

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

That looks fine? It's either too loose or too tight. If I loosen it enough to flip, the washer has too much space on one side and I get mad blade rub. With it tight, I can slide one of the original washers in the gap on one half.

Shouldn't it be flat? Nobody has a close up of this on their knife?

4. Frickbot

Frickbot Does not compute

What the hell, i don't think it should be like that. :mutley:

5. nostimos

nostimos JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Looks like some bad QC snuck through.
    I've seen rounded tang cups before, but that step in the pivot area looks weird.

6. WyldStyl3

Well first of all you edited the OP AFTER I posted. You only had the 1st 2 pics up at first.

Secondly, I've never seen one like this, but that doesn't mean it wasn't just a milling/casting error that they didn't catch. It should be flat though.

7. Mpsecare

Mpsecare Owl Man

was that a black coated one at one point?

8. Casey

the second pic (which was up when you replied) clearly shows the difference in thickness. I added those pics while you posted, it's not like my response to you was intended as negative; more just an update to ask again while bumping. I waited 15 mins to ask that after I edited because I thought you might see it, that's all.

9. Casey

no, this is #18 of the tanto introduction.

10. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

sandit down or sent it to BM for $280 credit....

11. Mack22

Mack22 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I'll take it. PM Send!

12. Casey

:bwah:
    Thanks guys, I wasn't sure what I was looking at; This is my first T Latch and I wasn't sure if things like this were normal. Time to sand.

13. silkworm

silkworm Silky Devil JDBA Official Member

Cups are normal. The difference in thickness is probably just from cutting into the channel during manufacture. The 4x's are far from perfect. They never did any "finish" work to the inside of the channels. Nothing to worry about.

14. gfckyrslf

gfckyrslf JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I don't think sanding it will be enough Linos

You're probably better off hitting it with a die grinder :ropeman: :bwah:

15. Casey

sanding it took care of THAT problem:bwah:

if that was the only issue Id be pretty happy.

16. nostimos

nostimos JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

You said in the beginning "I've been having troubles with my 47 t latch".
    What mechanical problem are you having?
    does that step in the channel cause a snag or something?
    If not, and it's just a cosmetic thing that bothers you, I'd learn to deal with it.
    Like Silkworm said, the 4x's are far from perfect.

17. Casey

The step caused some play, but theres a much larger problem here. The safe handle is bowed to the point that the blade sticks in it while flipping. this thing isn't even in the same room as perfect.

18. jjhamilton

jjhamilton JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I'd say send it to a proven modder like Wylde to work some magic on it...:thumbsup::jdwink2:

19. WyldStyl3

Shit no. It would be near impossible to fix that shit without a milling machine. Just the step in the handle that is. I'm not sure about the bowing.

Even then the channel would be a good bit wider, but I guess thicker washers would fix that. I don't know what the best action to take here would be. If it were me I would get a 42 t-latch for cheap and swap the handles.

20. abqjoe

abqjoe JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

If it were me I'd send it to Benchmade 1st. You may get lucky and end up with a new one made from parts that they have laying around:) Or end up with it fixed! Either way though, I would look towards the manufacturer first.