1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

BM 6x mods?

McAhron Nov 21, 2012

1. wcjohn

wcjohn Sum Quod Sum JDBA Official Member

I remember when I used to derail threads. :devilroll:

2. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

Me too. :ropeman:

3. Andy T

Andy T Gentle Giant JDBA Official Member

Not much of a mod, but I removed the hideous looking latch. Doesn't flip any better, but it looks better.

sirhorsechoker likes this.
  4. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

I know. What was I thinking, right?

Why would anyone want to put titanium handles on a BM6x?!?!?! Why not just go and buy the bowie titanium prototype that recently sold at auction for about $2,000 instead.

Why would anyone want to put titanium handles on a BM51?!?!?! Why not just go buy the new gold class BM51 for $1,800 instead.

Why would anyone want to extend the handles of a BM62?!?!?! Why not just go buy a BM42SS for $450 instead.

5. Mystik

Mystik That's no ordinary rabbit! JDBA Official Member

I PITY THE FOOL who would want to get a Microtech Tachyon 2 when they could save up a bit more and buy a better designed Production Alpha Beast instead.

:bwah:

EDIT: Also, I would like to see a spring latch on the 6x series, but that's about it. There's not much else you can mod to it that would change its performance significantly.

6. wcjohn

Good times

7. jjhamilton

jjhamilton JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

There's a lot of pity for fools in this thread...just an observation:devilcorn:........some Ti handles keeping the SS spacers sounds pretty cool, but I don't know if I'd want to invest in modding it or the 51 more....I like the traditional look of the 62 but the 51 has a cool factor to it...and I seem to be one of the few that really dig the OG blade...I guess it would come down to cost..and availability. The extension would help flipping but considering I have a PAB for that and plan on catching a Replicant when available...no so much a flipping concern...I don't know..no say...

8. kxchaput

kxchaput Huge member

I actually took mine completely apart and machined a groove on the inside of the handles from the first large hole to thw second last one. It helped lighten it up a bit and take some weight from the center of the handles. Ive been meaning to take out more but whenever i have any free machine time I want to make more knives.

9. jjhamilton

That's interesting....can we see ??

10. Mpsecare

Mpsecare Owl Man

can you anodize stainless steel? I don't know these things.

The only thing I would change is the latch. Its crappy IMO.

11. 1986mpv

1986mpv JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

No.

Most you could do is get it coated in something.

12. jjhamilton

I'm pretty sure you can't ano SS.... The latch is the (one of) weak link here, mine has already been shipped to BM for replacement...broke at the top instead of at the handle

13. Mpsecare

Mpsecare Owl Man

thanks guys!

14. wcjohn

Nope

15. Helix

Helix Balipocalypse Assassin

Since, nobody else has said it...no, you can't anodize steel. [​IMG]

16. azswinger

azswinger Huge member

I'd love to see a roller latch mod done. I love, how it flips, great knife but the latch seems like a afterthought.

17. kxchaput

kxchaput Huge member

Ill try to get around to it this week for you dudes haha

As for ano, as everyone else said no. however what about heat treating? Bringing the metal to certain temps could colour it

18. McAhron

McAhron knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Cool clip addition Glenn.Does it move around since there is only one fastner.Seems to be a lot of hate for the 6x series.Ti handles would be cool in my opinion.Kind of a modern 42.A latchless mod with a side-draw sheath would rock too.Sorry you cant anodize stainless steel.And to the cock,keep it in your pants or in someone elses:devilfinger:

19. Bali-man

Bali-man JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I have often thought about about ti handles but I haven't done anything about it yet:bwah:

Mpsecare likes this.
  20. jjhamilton

Willing to send you my 62 for testing & fitting!...:thumbsup: