1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

BM 51 Ti Scale time

Roz Nov 10, 2018

1. Roz

Roz Little Member

Guys,

As you may or may not know from some of my other threads, my first real Bali is a BM 51. Yes, I did buy and still have somewhere a Bear and Sons pos and a Frost cutlery pos. But the first well made (compared to those two) is my BM 51.

The time has come to do some upgrades. I picked up some V3 Flytanium Ti scales. Or at least that’s what they say they are. At any rate any tips or thoughts about doing the change over without BM flipping out on me (ie destroying screws) or any noob errors I should be aware of?

I’ve read that the disassembly and reassembly is a real PITA on this thing.

2. Roz

Roz Little Member

Never mind, found the disssembly video.

3. junglegoober

junglegoober Professor Bigdick JDBA Official Member

4. Roz

Roz Little Member

Wow. I’m now having second thoughts about doing this. Ended up doing other honey do list chores instead today.

5. skyblue

skyblue JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

My first thought when I saw this post last night was that I'd spend the extra dollars to have one of the established modders do the install for me. It's not too much money, and certainly not worth my stripping the screws or mucking up the knife. Your latest comments just strengthened that conviction, lol.

Roz likes this.
  6. Roz

Roz Little Member

I didn’t know there were was modders. I’ll have to go find some. It’s like the bill Yao of the Bali world. Lol.

7. seandavid55

seandavid55 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I didnt find the 51 to be difficult to disassemble or reassemble. Use quality and properly sized tools.

Roz likes this.
  8. Roz

Roz Little Member

The kit I got came with some screw drivers which I promptly threw out. I use Wihas.

desmodus likes this.
  9. bradenwright

bradenwright Little member

@Roz I've done it a number of times its really not bad. If you want to send it to a modder @hammerdesigns on IG does a lot of stuff. They really help with the weight IMO, stock 51 flew off my finger too much and definitely a lot harder to do chaplins/0g chaps/etc. I did strip out some screws the first time assembling b/c I went a little hulk on em, so don't be an idiot like me :)

Also FWIW, I've sent my Ti Fly51 into BM and they were fine working on it with the FlyTi scales (I did have to send them something saying if they were damaged BM wasn't responsible). According to the warranty they don't have, so obv they could change there policy. One also had a FlyTi blade and FlyTi scales and they wouldn't work on that, but said they would if I put the original blade on and sent it back to them they would. One thing to note, the only parts they will mail you are screws. I wanted to remove the pocket clip and to do so wanted them to send me some sexbolts from the safe handle which are shorter. The consider the sex bolts to be an internal part and they did it for me, but I had to mail them the knife.

10. Roz

Roz Little Member

That’s good to know. I was afraid that BM was beginning to be as draconian as some
    Of the watch houses. You send in aftermarket parts and either we won’t work on it or we will but we will charge you for replacement and installation of OEM parts and keep your aftermarket parts to be properly disposed of.

desmodus likes this.
  11. GuItArMaN8373

GuItArMaN8373 JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

I did it fine the first time. And I had NEVER disassembled any balisong before. Only work I've ever done before on balis was tightening pivot screws. Hardest part for me was making sure I didn't tighten any screw "too" tight so that movement of the blade or latch was being interfered with.

If you can work on guns, you got this!

Roz likes this.
  12. Roz

Roz Little Member

I suppose my concern is not finding torque specs and fear of the unknown. Plus lack of parts availability.

13. GuItArMaN8373

Finger tighten and that's it. I blue loctite too for good measure.
    Benchmade is SUPER chill about sending you certain parts for some knives too. They sent me some screws for an old BM53 one time. No charge.

Roz likes this.
  14. junglegoober

My thread above covers the BM warranty, replacement parts and every other topic discussed above, might want to glance it over and get them thar scales on.

Roz and GuItArMaN8373 like this.
  15. GuItArMaN8373

Or trade them scales for the EDC scales before you go through all that work. :P

16. Roz

Roz Little Member

Nah you guys have convinced me to do this later this afternoon. Running out to do some 5 stand work.

GuItArMaN8373 likes this.
  17. junglegoober

They sure are sexy.

thegoodedge and GuItArMaN8373 like this.
  18. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

i loved the edc scales i got to try on loan with a 62 blade.

thegoodedge and GuItArMaN8373 like this.