1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

bm 51 or kimura series

dbzbalisong Mar 16, 2015

1. dbzbalisong

dbzbalisong Little member

of the kimura seires 5-7. which would be worth it?

THEONEANDONLY likes this.
  2. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

I can see you are all excited and stuff...Please try searching for threads long since posted, and feel free to bump them. Also, pay attention to where you are posting.

:wrongforu :movethread:

3. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

Kimura 8 (G10) is best.

Kimura 1 is second best.

***The rest is just blade preference...:welcome3:

4. FlipperDeluxe

FlipperDeluxe JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Did somebody say kimura??? :manganr:

5. armedpootles

armedpootles JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

Yes:unintroduced:

6. Blastermaster

Blastermaster Huge member

It all comes down to weight and convenience. If you like heavy balisongs, the kimura is worth the $120 and all the time tracking them down one. (You can post a want to buy thread here:http://www.jerzeedevil.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/43-The-Wanted-To-Buy-Forum) If you like light balisongs and you do not feel like going through the hassle of tracking something down secondhand, you can buy a 51 direct from any number of dealers for about $220, with the option for a flytanium upgrade:thumbsup:

7. dbzbalisong

Well the kimura 5 is pretty heavy from what i heard and would it be best to get one of these or save up fr the 42 because i think i might only get 1 blade fr a while

8. Blastermaster

Blastermaster Huge member

Well the kimura 5 is 5.4 ounces, so its not that much heavier than a 42, it is mostly considered "heavy" because it has handle/blade imbalances. However for a kimura 5 it is a sixth of the cost of a Benchmade 42, so if you are new and not sure if you are truly into balisongs yet, go with the kimura.

(Pro Tip: Never EVER buy Exiled Cutlery Balisongs, we try to boycott that company around here, they have kimura clones out, so be careful)

9. J Ray

J Ray Formerly Morpho JDBA Official Member

If you buy a 42, you will be paying collector's prices since they are no longer being produced. I would advise you stick with current production models for your first "real" balisong. Kimura's are OK but are no longer being made, and IMO aren't the greatest flippers. You could get a BM-51 for around $220 and it will flip well and should last forever. If you can afford a little more, go with a BRS model (Replicant or Alpha Beast). If you decide it's not for you, you will be able to get most of your $ back when you sell

10. VashHash

VashHash JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

51 is good for beginners. I dropped my g10 version so many times and it literally bounced back. Got mine used in the voodoo for $150. Never messed with a kimmie though. I eventually did transition to the Ti scales and eventually transitioned out of the 51. In it's ti form it was a damn good flipper in my opinion better than the 4X series. I would say seek a used or new bm51. I had issues with edge retention on my personal one but i hear that's uncommon from most people. Being soft was beneficial for drops onto cement. Also being lightweight helped too. I didn't drop it nearly as much once i put the ti scales on it. Just seemed i needed more weight. Most people will eventually get both just cuz. It's a knife thing.

11. WyldStyl3

WyldStyl3 Never gunna give you up JDBA Official Member

This thread sucks.

I mean was an attempt even made to read a bit or use the search? :bwah:

***ugh

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2015
  12. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

No, it wasn't.

This is a clear violation of rule number two.

RELEASE THE KRAKEN!

13. WyldStyl3

RELEASE THE KRAKEN!!

:bwah:

14. itadakimasu

itadakimasu There are no kangaroos in Austria! JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

[​IMG]

15. dbzbalisong

Hahahahaha oh i had a quick question whats a bali for edc?
    Happy st pats day

16. WyldStyl3

They're all for edc. I'm gonna start giving you reds every time you post.

17. garrim

garrim Average member

I am biased but I vote 51. Never used a Kimura. 51's are still in production and easier to acquire. The pocket clip makes it even better for EDC, IMO. With Ti scales they are superb, not that the stock G10 is bad by any means. Had a chance to play with a Flytanium 51 recently and I'm hooked.

My 2¢.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2015
  18. jeffphansen77

jeffphansen77 Little member

I have both & favor the 51. It has a pocket clip for EDC, is readily available, & the weight & scales are upgradable via Flytanium.

I'm a beginner at real flipping but the 51 handles better for me. Both are plenty smooth & built to tight tolerances, but the 51 is grippier & seems better balanced.

Late edit: Also, zen pins & a better latch on the 51. Not that the Kiimura's pins or latch suck, but the 51 has the ones I prefer.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2015
  19. nman729

nman729 Average member

I know what you are asking, and I am not trying to be mean, but please put some thought/substance into your posts.

As for your question, I cant answer from firsthand experience because I do not EDC a bali. However I do know that most people prefer ones that have contoured handles like the bradley mayhem or microtech metalmark. Supposedly this makes the bali more ergonomic. Also people like pocket clips, so you don't have to carry the bali in a sheath.