1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

BM 51 or BRS BB

Too Late Sep 1, 2018

?

Which is the better beginner option?

1. Benchmade 51

60.0%
  2. BRS Barebones

40.0%
  1. Too Late

Too Late Tiny Member

I'm getting ready to purchase my first live blade bali soon, and was wondering which of these to get.

I know their price is about the same and I should be able to drop them both without much of an issue, but I'm curious to see what you guys think would be best for my first.

:bali:

Jedi87 likes this.
  2. Jedi87

Jedi87 Little Member

Plus you can’t beat Benchmade’s warranty

Too Late likes this.
  3. Too Late

Too Late Tiny Member

Yeah, Benchmade has always been great to me in the past. Does the 51 tend to be better for flipping as well?

4. Jedi87

Jedi87 Little Member

I like them both for flipping but the 51 is lighter and easier to learn on.

skyblue and Too Late like this.
  5. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade LUC4 JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Barebones is better to me outta the box, 51 has aftermarket stuff to easily tweak it. If you dont wanna monkey with it i would say BB, but if you like tweaking stuff get a 51. 51 is readily available new however.

6. cutclown

cutclown Little Member

I'd go with 51, they are easy to EDC, light weight makes it easier to learn on, and the aftermarket options will transform it Into whatever you want!

Too Late likes this.
  7. Too Late

Too Late Tiny Member

Honestly, the 51 seems really nice but adding all of the mods to make it better just bumps the price up to where I may as well get a hom or a BRS.

Shawnjohn999999 likes this.
  8. RoninFlipper

RoninFlipper Little Member

51. BB is too heavy.

Jedi87 likes this.
  9. heavyhandedmonkey

heavyhandedmonkey Tiny Member

I'm saving up for a 51 too, but the brs stuff looks sweet. I've heard over and over again that the 51 is great for EDC, so I'm trying to not let the BRS flippers sway me... for now

Jedi87 likes this.
  10. Otto Carpenter

Otto Carpenter Tiny Member

Depends how patient you are. BRS models aren’t readily available and Benchmade 51 is.

11. Nardath

Nardath Nard Wrath

BB. the Stock 51 is too light to be considered a competitive flipper. people who say the BB is too heavy are pansies, i remember when the 51 came out we used to call it a bitch knife, a knife for girls, u cant say that anymore without hurtin peoples ferlerns lol. i hear the BB 2.0 is a tad lighter, but i love my 1.0. sure ur flipping a full length SS balisong, its not gonna feel like a 51 lol but i can do everything with a BB, and it can take a beating. 51 is a good EDC tho.

desmodus likes this.
  12. GuItArMaN8373

GuItArMaN8373 JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

Neither to be honest. BB is WAY too heavy I think and the 51 stock is WAY too light. MANY people sell used 51s with EDC or FlyTi scales on them already for a good price and I would say that is the way to go!

IF I had to pick between the two though, I'd say the 51. I found it much easier to manipulate a light knife at first, than to flip a heavier one.

13. Nardath

Nardath Nard Wrath

i laugh when people say the BB is heavy, its balanced perfectly, so it basically flips itself. i love my BB.

subtlemovement likes this.
  14. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

Other than burgers, what do you know about flipping???

***Go back into the kitchen

Shawnjohn999999 likes this.
  15. Nardath

Nardath Nard Wrath

i know that bitches who complain about the BB being heavy are just that. bitches. bitch.

16. subtlemovement

subtlemovement JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

Seriously. BB is a mere serving of Doritos heavier than an AB, but it's also longer. Really does flip itself. I'm not super in love with how thin it is, but it was one of my first balisongs and it's honestly great to learn on. Probably better than a 51 because it has the balance and length of a top-tier flipper. Unless you want to pour money into upgrades, OP. But if you're just starting out, I recommend testing the waters with a stock knife, so you get a better feel for what makers are putting out there. And when you do want to start taking apart your knives, get a Wiha torx set. No cheap tools.

desmodus likes this.
  17. subtlemovement

subtlemovement JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

Don't forget, we're sitting on the biggest wasp's nest of balisong trading and selling on the 'net :firedevil

Otto Carpenter and BennytheBlade like this.
  18. Shawnjohn999999

Shawnjohn999999 Huge Member

The 51 is a great knife that gets made of by the brs people but fuck that. It is quicker and more nimble and I practice it constantly. It feels good in your hand and moves fast if you can keep up. I think that's half the I'll will imo.

Jedi87 likes this.
  19. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

The BM51 is probably the better knife to flip for the newb. Its lighter and softer to flip when you do those double roll outs an full twirls.

But..

If you actually want to get good and put in the practice you'll realise it sucks for learning advanced stuff. So it's either pouring more $$$ into it to make it better or buying what you should've in the first place.. Barebones, Replicant or an AB.

*** Check out all the latest flipping videos. Nobody who is any good is flipping a stock 51 lol.

desmodus likes this.
  20. Shawnjohn999999

Shawnjohn999999 Huge Member

It needs no mods

Jedi87 likes this.