1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

BM 51 Liner Thickness....

42flipper Apr 8, 2014

1. 42flipper

42flipper JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I don't have mine with me and wanted to order some material today..

Anyone know how thick the TI liners are on a BM-51...

2. Cole

Cole Huge member

I just checked on my brothers : .05 inches (give or take a thou)
    Mind you, I didn't take it apart, just measured where the g10 and Ti didn't match perfectly. But that measurement looks alright to me.

Good Luck

42flipper likes this.
  3. McAhron

McAhron knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

They are indeed .050".What are you planning to do?

4. gfckyrslf

gfckyrslf JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

That AB reblade in your sig is badass

Did you do that yourself?

5. 42flipper

Thanks bro.... Greens sent!!!

6. 42flipper

Ordering my supplies for a bali... Decided to go with G10 over TI liners. My tools are limited, and I hear TI is hard to work (Thanks Bill)... I figure Ti liners with G-10 and stainless would be more at my level.

7. 42flipper

I did... Thanks... More to come soon :jdwink2:

Coconutfilipino likes this.
  8. McAhron

McAhron knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

I would use .065-.080 for the liners to add some rigity/strength and weight.

9. thegoodedge

thegoodedge Pacific Edge Cutlery JDBA Official Member

Yeah that ^^

I have a few customs with that configuration and they're .080 Ti liners with G-10 or CF overlays.
    Gives them a much better feel...

10. WyldStyl3

WyldStyl3 Never gunna give you up JDBA Official Member

x3...I agree.

11. 42flipper

Thanks guys... Unfortunately I already ordered the .05 :cry:...

I just e-mailed the company to see if they could change the order to .071...

12. PS-RagE

PS-RagE "R" for Adventure JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

With everyone saying that the 51 is too light and ordering Ti scales to compensate, why do you not use SS for the liners? Be much easier to work with too, no doubt.

13. Ronin0821

Ronin0821 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I do agree with you on that I just got my 51 and not to down it but I'm not into the g-10 handles and it is to light. I think you need more then the liners that's why I am going all Ti. Ti has I think the perfect weight but you guys know more then me so that's why I definitely agree with the SS idea cheaper to if your not going full Ti.

14. 42flipper

I thought about stainless, but I would like to get some practice with TI, so I figured this would be a good place to start...

I plan on adding weight by putting stainless tips at the end of the handles... Should be sexy... If I can pull it off :manganr:

15. Ronin0821

Ronin0821 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

That's pretty interesting would like to see a picture if you do, do that. It would almost look like a hole different knife I think.

16. Cole

Cole Huge member

I actually made my second knife ("made" as in it's still sitting unassembled because I'm too lazy to HT it) using Ti liners. I believe they were .067. I also have limited tooling, so I used was a jigsaw with some metal cutting blades and a low speed. That is, until I got a bandsaw. If you keep the jigsaw from shaking up and down, it cuts pretty well.

But if you have something better, use it.

You seem to be advancing quickly, and your grinds are WAY ahead of mine.

Cant wait to see what you do.

17. 42flipper

A jig saw was what I planned on using, wish I had a band saw, but gotta start somewhere...

Thanks for the kind words!!

Im not sure if you have already tried one, but a jig made all the difference for me... It will limit some of what you can do, but it helps alot. Ive been practicing free handing, but holy shit its hard..

Got any pics of your work?? You should post it up :thumbsup:

18. Cole

Cole Huge member

Hopefully soon. I need to grind the third and send #2 and 3 out for HT before I finish. Maybe next week when I get a chance.