1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

BM 46 Proto vs Production

Joker188 Jul 19, 2018

1. Joker188

Joker188 Little Member

Greetings Devils,
    Please redirect if posted in wrong area. I'm currently scouting leads on the grail, 46 blade style appeals to me most but I would like to gather some information. I've done cursory research to find out any differences between the prototype and production knife, but most discussions only cover additional or lesser monetary value between the two knives. The reason I ask is that the proto seems to be more readily available on the leads I've seen but I want to verify that it IS the same knife that made the production legendary. I'm not concered about laser etching on the blade but is the size, balance, weight distribution identical?

Furthermore concerning the production model, I've seen black versions. Is there such a unicorn as a 46 Blk Spring latch?

Finally lets discuss price. I've seen lightly flipped and new examples ranging from mid $400s to low $500s. I don't mind being patient to find my unicorn, I'd just like to be well informed

If anyone has a additional perspective on the Tach2 Bowie, what are appropriate prices for 'Like New' and 'Mint' examples?

2. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Eh!? I've never seen a 46 proto. I'm guessing that there's only a few in existence. As such, I would guess that they would be worth at least twice the amount (if not more) than a production 46, which are already over priced for what they are.

In regards to whether there's a difference between the proto and production. The only difference (if there is any) will be the blade. The handles, latch, screws etc will be the same as all the other 4X bali's for the era they were made.

Also, yes there is a black 46. Which is also extremely rare and expensive.

3. Joker188

Joker188 Little Member

Thank you, laughingbuddha. I may jump on the 46 black. Has anyone ever seen a 46 black spring latch?

4. laughingbuddha

Screenshot_20180720-130818_Chrome.jpg

There's probably only a couple of them in existence. So first you'll need to track down the owner and then convince him to sell.

My guess is you'll need somewhere between $1500 - 2K

5. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

I like your taste in knives man!

Separate the 46 from the 46 Blk...two completely different conversations (Honda vs Ferrari).

Your unicorn in mint condition is almost impossible to find. The black coating makes it a scratch magnet. Buddha's estimate is for one that is in good condition. Mint ones are north of that.

Here's the limited edition #80 (mint...never been flipped...not for sale):

20180721_172509.jpg

Balibuyer, G-man, thegoodedge and 3 others like this.
  6. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

With the boom.

7. Joker188

Joker188 Little Member

I appreciate the additional info devils. I've found a lead on what's called BM 46 Blk Spearpoint. The handles are black but without the blue highlights and the blade is not coated. could this be someone''s customization rather than original?

8. Joker188

Joker188 Little Member

VS0DyOb.jpg a28dPIw.jpg DSC03621 copy 2_zpsdlymlcgq.jpg

*None of these images are mine*
    First two images on are on my first lead. I have two leads on separate protos. Do they look legitimate? I imagine 4x would likely be among the most highly cloned knives.

Jedi87 likes this.
  9. 1986mpv

1986mpv JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

The BM 46-BLK is a legitimate production piece. Along with the 4X-As, the 4X-BLKs fit under a sort of "semi-special" edition category. They had special handle treatments, either the "orange-peel" anodized finish or the black powder coat, but they weren't numbered. The MCs exist in the same category. The As and BLKs come in both T and spring latch (I've owned a spring latch 42A and 42AS in the past), and PEC has a SL 46BLK in its records. The problem with the T-latched BLK models is that the powder coat is pretty fragile, and the latch contact area is the first place it comes off.

The spring-latched 46 BLKs are a numbered special edition of 85 pieces that actually consists of two knives, 46Blk-600 and 46Blk-601. 600 has a D2 blade and runs from 1-25, while 601 has a 440C blade and goes from 26-85. I have 16 and 38.

The knives in the photos you've provided look legitimate. Prototypes are sometimes numbered and sometimes dated. Prototypes for standard knives are usually numbered out of 25. Special editions often have date prototypes like the one in your photo, which is a 46-01 prototype.

Balibuyer and thegoodedge like this.
  10. laughingbuddha

I'm not sure whether it's the case for the black powder coated BM46... but the reason why the BM trainers were powder coated was to hide the handle blemishes, as they were seconds.

As for the photos you've posted. I'd request pictures of the handle ends about the latch area. It looks like it's in really good condition but the handle ends will be the giveaway.

11. Joker188

Joker188 Little Member

Handle edge on the black does indeed have some chipping. Thank you guys so much for the detailed info. I've jumped quick on a couple other deals but I'll sleep easier with all the information.

12. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade Fate is Inexorable JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

IMG_0061.jpg IMG_0063.jpg
    42 and 46 blk almost never flipped.

13. thegoodedge

thegoodedge Pacific Edge Cutlery JDBA Official Member

Yes, there was a 46BLK Spring Latch made.
    BM46BLK SL 1.JPG

And the 46BLK-01 was the TL variation.
    Never documented, but well known that there were only 250 made.
    Not counting Prototype's, there were 1000 46 TL's made. The -01 after the model designates that it is a T-Latch.
    46-01 500 numbered pieces.
    46A-01 (Anodized) 250 numbered pieces.
    46BLK-01 250 non-numbered pieces.

And there were also Prototype's of these models above.

On the more rare--and possibly the best looking production bali to come out of the factory...?
    46BK-600 & -601 And yes, it's "BK" and not "BLK" like every other black coated model made--as far as I remember.

BM46BK-601 52 1.JPG

And there are actually 3 variations of this model.
    As 1986mpv pointed out above, the first 25 were made with D2 blade steel while the last 60 were made with 440C blade steel.
    But there were 2 variations of the 440C. Notice in these pic's that the "440C" has black lettering inside a white pill shaped oval on some, and in white lettering without the pill shaped ovals on others.

DSC02873.JPG
    46BK-601 440.jpg

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  14. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

Agree. After I took that picture a few days ago I wiped her down with oil and the colors popped. That black with metallic blue is stunning. It's been years since I took her out. Forgot how gorgeous that bali is.

***Impressive info...as always

Jedi87 and thegoodedge like this.
  15. Joker188

Joker188 Little Member

I'd like to sincerely thank the above contributors for taking the time to share this information, not just with me but with the community.

I caught up with the individual who introduced me to balisongs last evening and I was eager to show him this thread. He in fact steered me away from a BM67 on my first purchase and sold me his 32 Morpho to get my bearings. He reminded me that although the balisong community is growing, what they lack in numbers is easily made up for in fierce loyalty. I found this reinforced by Knife Caviar's YouTube vlog when describing the specialty knife market and especially the trust involved after the buyer and seller are introduced. I really do enjoy learning more every day than I knew the day before about these knives.

Jedi87, BennytheBlade, jan187 and 4 others like this.
  16. wes

wes Mephistopheles Super Moderator Brigade Member

Now that was an excellent write up. Great to see the sharing on JD from those that actually have the information.

Jedi87, BennytheBlade and thegoodedge like this.
  17. Jedi87

Jedi87 Little Member

Dang.....eye candy!

18. Joker188

Joker188 Little Member

Apologies for opening an additional can of worms but what do you guys know about this? The description identifies it as a Roton double edge with channeled steel handles that are also slotted. Other Roton knives seem to go quick. Can anyone share from experience with these knives?

I tried to upload a picture but the file is too large. This example is beautiful with a high polish on the blade and appears to have a birthdate of March '17.

19. laughingbuddha

20. Joker188

Joker188 Little Member

Thank you. While I've fallen for the 46 it distracted me from why I really want to acquire a 4x. I don't want to pay mint prices for a knife that WILL be flipped. This Roton is a gem and will undoubtedly be someone's centerpiece. When I'm feeling confident I'll flip with stalls to push my ability, but the reason I want the 4x is to experience the quintessential characteristics. Oddly enough while I was working this out I thought of how I become proficient with a move on the AB before I attempt it with the Basilisk because that blade is so menacing. Go figure I just cut myself the deepest to date with the AB and left a path of blood drops to the bathroom. Humbling to be reminded each knife is a different animal.