1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

BM 42, loose spring latch.

Nikguy Jun 19, 2020

1. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab' Pakal I JDBA Official Member

i’ve seen jbweld perform very well on some crazy shit

my father used to sell hardware to a rather large farming outfit near us and they swore by it. several times they had to tap it and claimed the threading held up.

as far as a small area sticking to titanium i don’t know

for a few bucks at the local hardware store it might be worth a try. be sure to clean the surface of the ti with alcohol well before applying. don’t apply much, looks like you only need a little to snug the spring latch

2. Klyuchak

Klyuchak Channel Ti Guy JDBA Official Member

Yeah, the JB weld is pretty strong as far as a bond, but it's also pretty soft, don't think it would hold up for too long. Would work if you wanted to glue in a steel shim or somthing, though I would just use a normal epoxy that could easily be disolved with somthing like acetone.

apdallaround likes this.
  3. Blurred Memories

Blurred Memories Average Member

yeah either way, the ti is what's already losing, i'd go for any method of adding to the handle instead of the kicker.

apdallaround likes this.
  4. Nikguy

Nikguy Little Member

Tried jb weld.

Let it cure 24 hours.

The kicker would almost stick to the jb weld for a second. Making opening the knife weird. I fixed that by putting a little oil on it. But after about 5 mins of flipping the jb weld disintegrated and I'm back to square one

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
    apdallaround likes this.
  5. apdallaround

damn

A+ for trying

consider latchless?

the bitch is the hardware is pressed in. i manked mine up a hair and ruined the original hardware when punching it out to remove the spring latch. my 42 had a few blade blemishes so oh well its the ‘shitty’ 440c version anyway.

but everyone loves the springers for that spring latch..... i get it

this is apd’s mind in fantasy land.....
    you could get real creative and drill a small hole in the face of the kicker, thread it and use a small set screw that way its adjustable. would prob need a pro to do something like that though.

Pinoy Knife and Klyuchak like this.
  6. Nikguy

Nikguy Little Member

I considered tapping a set screw in the handle where the kicker impacts, but damn, you that would be tough.

It seems like a shorter latch would be good if I could get someone to machine it (I have access to CAD programs and I'm pretty good at it).

I also kicked around the idea of adding a single Zen pin on the bite handle to engage right below or above the kicker... But that would also be super hard to get juuuust right

apdallaround likes this.
  7. Klyuchak

+1 on the set screw, the channel should be thick enough that the screws get enough bite. Welding can look great if done and finished by a pro, but weather you do the kicker or landing area, you'll be be back to square one and fixing the same issue in several years anyway, if even that long. Set screw will last as long as the threads hold up, and even then you can just make it slightly bigger if it manages to strip.

Since it is adjustable, shouldn't even really need to be that precise, just make it more or less centered so it looks good, and tap the holes carefully. Then just grind it down flush.

If you know somone with a machine shop, or can just find a shop that will take a single small order like that and you're willing to pay the price, machining a new latch is definately the least invasive option though.

apdallaround likes this.
  8. Nikguy

Nikguy Little Member

You suggesting threading the kicker? Or inside the channel?

Edit:. I see. The channel. Is just preferably not want to drill all the way through by accident

apdallaround likes this.
  9. apdallaround

another thought

what about putting a small o-ring on the latch near the head of it?

almost like the squiddy silencer ring.

sure it would wear with time, but small o-rings are a dime a dozen. it should be all you need to snug it up.

i have tons of o-rings at work. i’d send you some when i get back in town if you can’t source any near you.

Balibuyer likes this.
  10. Klyuchak

Actually I meant all the way through, sort of like the contact plates for the zirconium handled Fiores are attached. Could do it part way too though, and just have it visable from the inside though.

[​IMG]

Nikguy and apdallaround like this.
  11. Blurred Memories

can't remember the name of it but what about that stuff people paint eggs with then smash with sledge hammers and they don't break?

that fiore method would probably be the best if actual welding is not an option.

Nikguy and apdallaround like this.
  12. chutcher

chutcher JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

Damn... this all seems like a lot of hassle for such a little latch. Have you ever considered going latchless? You know what they say... once you go latchless you never go back.

apdallaround likes this.
  13. Nikguy

Nikguy Little Member

I like to be able to carry it around my pocket without some sort of sheath....

chutcher likes this.
  14. Nikguy

Nikguy Little Member

If you could figure out what that is, that would be awesome.... I literally never heard of that

15. Nikguy

Nikguy Little Member

That's not a terrible idea.

It looks like I could get a bolt flush, then maybe sand down the bolt to size or something on it's tip?

16. Blurred Memories

more info than you probably want on it.... but found it.

apdallaround and crogers like this.
  17. Nikguy

Nikguy Little Member

Wonder where I can get just a small amount!