1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Blades through the Airport? Help (International)

$earch Jan 5, 2020

1. $earch

$earch Tiny Member

Alright, so soon enough I'll be making a vacation trip down to México.
    As the proper lunatic I am, I always carry a balisong around my neck (a Bradley Kimura through a handmade lanyard). I have a hard time describing just how important this item is to me; like a child's teddy bear, or a very religious person's Cross necklace, I'm sure you folk here know what I mean but i doubt a TSA agent would. And not only that, but I'm also carrying a folding karambit as a personal gift to a friend I haven't seen in a long time, who as you might conclude, resides within México.
    Not to get intricate with the mechanics of my trip, but i doubt I'll go through any significant revision on my way in, however, I'm doubtful whether i could make it back through airspace with my bali.

Now, like I said, since i don't expect much scrutiny on my over, I don't think I'd face any issues with passing the karambit as a gift on a non-carry-on bag. This would mean i needn't worry about bringing it back, since I'm giving it away over there.

Disclaimer; In mexico, all knives with blades longer than [some amount of centimeters] regardless of locking mechanisms are illegal. in reality, any cop that might pull you over and see a pocket knife will make a decision whether to confiscate it or not based on how shiny it is, or how much of a weapon it looks like. Now I'm no gringo tourist, i would know how to avoid an overall situation like this (or talk my way out of it) on land, but it's a whole different game through the airports, I just haven't been through this experience before

For this bali around my neck, i don't think I'd have an easy time convincing a Mexican aduana agent just how personal it is and how it is not a weapon of sorts at all.
    I needn't get much into it but I know how corrupt these officers can get, and I don't at all doubt they'd use their authority to confiscate my knife and keep it to themselves.

So i post this here seeking counsel in some sort of way. do you fellas think it's not worth the risk? should I just try and cope without being with my neck knife for a couple weeks? for personal reasons I believe this artifact is a very important part of my image and see it much as much more than any other garment of mine. I couldn't lose it and at the same time i don't take two steps away from home without it. This is tormenting me.
    I'm thinking that maybe i could make some locking mechanism to get it through the checkpoints as to convince the authorities i do not intend to murder people with it, but what do you all think??

2. Blurred Memories

Blurred Memories Average Member

kimuras are affordable enough that i'd probably buy a different one to experiment traveling with, and leave the emo one at home.

~b

3. Flip Tripper

Flip Tripper Huge member JDBA Official Member

If the knife is sentimental like that, I wouldn't take the chance!! Yeah and fools there don't play, you might end up getting called out into a knife fight by some youngster tryin' to get street cred, cause he sees you wearing that shit around your neck, but if you're in a place where you don't got to worry about shit like that, then I would do what Blurred suggested!!

seandavid55 likes this.
  4. $earch

$earch Tiny Member

Alright, sounds like a good plan. I'll see if i can get my hands on a new bali between here and then, thanks for the idea.

5. seandavid55

seandavid55 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I wouldnt try to go through the airport with that around my neck. You will be giving it up for sure.

Have a safe trip.

6. $earch

$earch Tiny Member

so I thought I'd post an Update.
    I made it there and back safely, with my knife. Although I would have preferred to take a replaceable one, i was unable to acquire one with the time I had to play with. However, I had 0 issues going through security checkpoints on 3 different airports with my Bali neatly packed in a non-carry on checked luggage, wrapped in undisturbed saran wrap and locked (with a rather shabby) master lock padlock.
    To the knife itself, I taped the blade and wrapped some rubber bands around it and secured the thing with some zip ties. here's a picture. [​IMG]
    ayy.jpg Ok

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  7. chutcher

chutcher JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

I was trying to think of a way to be polite about this but Fuck PC shit... Bwahahahahahaha!!!! Your idea of getting a bali thru airport security was wrapping it in pink, blue, and yellow rubber bands and zip ties?!?!? WTF?!?!?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    adnj, Flip Tripper and seandavid55 like this.
  8. chutcher

chutcher JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

...i must also add WTF do I know? obviously you made it there and back without getting arrested. Is there magic in those pastel rubber bands?

Flip Tripper likes this.
  9. Flip Tripper

Flip Tripper Huge member JDBA Official Member

:sombrero: Wow! you said fuck it!! you're comin' with me!!
    I'm wondering what the fuck it looked like with the Saran Wrap and padlock!! :locky:

10. woodlander

woodlander Brigade Member Brigade Member

It is interesting that it worked. I guess you can't argue with results.

11. seandavid55

seandavid55 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

It was in a checked bag. I dont understand what the big deal is/was.

Balibuyer and crogers like this.
  12. Balibuyer

Balibuyer Little member JDBA Official Member

Yea, it just didn't get pinged for the random search. They would've cut that lock and ganked that bitch lol. I lost a pair of dykes that way in a hard locked guitar case i checked from home to cali. Fuckin fucks.

13. Blurred Memories

Blurred Memories Average Member

Officially, knives are allowed, but you're right, humans suck and will occaisionally steal your shit, and with tsa i guess it's legit because of that little red exclamation point down at the bottom.

upload_2020-1-21_10-2-8.png

14. $earch

$earch Tiny Member

Aye, good points.
    It was all a mixture of a little luck, security not being as tight as you might expect, and being able to blend in appropriately by having all paperwork and being fluent in both languages; not arousing suspicion. One thing i would have changed, if I had the chance, is I would have used TSA locks as to avoid having it need to be bust open. But thankfully it was not needed.
    and as far as the color palette chosen for this high security locking mechanism, it's just what i had in hand. My purpose behind them was to state that it is indeed a personal item and not something someone could potentially easily use to go murder crazy mid flight, if needed.
    I'm not certain whether they made any difference in the x rays, as I also was careful in placing the knife in the middle of my very thicc bag that had some other not very translucent items, as to obfuscate it in the screenings.
    Ultimately, it was indeed a checked bag, and i knew the risk was little as I later found out on my way back, that security was almost exactly like it was on my way over there. This might seem obvious but it is not at all what one encounters when crossing the border via land, which is what I am most familiar with, hence my original preoccupation.
    Overall I'm glad with the situation, getting through the checkpoints was not a drag at all like I had thought it would be. And at the same time, they keep it tight enough as to feel very safe.
    Adding on to the situation, on my way back I was in such a hurry that i hadn't the time to set up my high security locking fixture again so I just kinda threw it in the middle there, also forget about the saran wrap, ain't nobody got time fo that.

15. adnj

adnj Huge member

I move knives internationally in checked luggage all the time. I never tried a switchblade but balis, fixed and folders were never a problem in places where owning or importing (not necessarily carrying) was not explicitly illegal.

tubtar likes this.
  16. IWantThatKnife

IWantThatKnife I want that knife Knife Maker or Craftsman

I wish I would have seen this tread earlier. Checked Luggage always.

I usually take 2-3 knives with me when I travel; all in the checked luggage. I stick them inside rolled up socks, then put that inside shoes. I recently got back from a month in Colombia; both going there and returning home through Mexico City where luggage received a separate security screening while changing planes. I've travelled with knives in Mexico, India, England, France, and Germany.

The only "issue" I had was on the EuroStar Train (think Chunnel ) returning to England from France. We spent 4 days in Germany that included a day trip to Solingen and a visit to the Poker Factory Store. I had maybe 6 knives in my suitcase; since all luggage is carried on the security folks, while polite, wouldn't let me carry on the suitcase. I had to pay a special fee of 35 Euros for them to put the suitcase in a secure part of the train and then picked up in another secure area in the station in London.

17. tubtar

tubtar high caliber consecrator Moderator Super Moderator Brigade Member

I carried auto's all around the world in checked bags..........wrapped in a sock and stuffed into a work boot with steel toes and shank.
    Never had a problem.
    I was more worried about wearing it in a belt sheath everywhere I went outside the airport.
    U.K. , most of Europe and former eastern bloc countries.