1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Blade HQ Microtech Tachyon II Pre-order

TheJackofClubs Sep 11, 2012

1. sawjaws

sawjaws JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

This is not an isolated incident! My Tach II, dropped two screws within 15 minutes out of the box! I sent the knife back. I don't think it was the screws as its more likely to be the spacers themselves striping out as they are aluminium, and the screws Should be Steel!!

2. Area965

Area965 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

For those that looking to add block spacers to the T2, how much more weight do you think should be added per side to make it perfect?

Just some educated guess would do. The knife is 4.8 oz stock.

Thanks,

3. Masharp81

Masharp81 Angelus Mortis JDBA Official Member

Glad they got you taken care of. With a couple people talking about their spacer screw problems, I decided to have a look at mine. I've been doing some light flipping with it the last few weeks, but hadn't gotten around to Loctiting yet. I have a plain stonewashed, and my screws seem to be ok. Mine is a marked blade, 00230.
    [​IMG]
    I apologize for the pic quality, it's with my iphone, and I had to use a flashlight in order to see the screws in the photo :manganr: The screws are maybe 3/32" from touching eachother, and as I unscrewed the torx, it felt like plenty of threads were grabbing the spacer. As someone mentioned before, hopefully this was only a QC oversight, and only effected a handful of knives.

4. Cpfrombv

Cpfrombv Huge member

Thanks man. :thumbsup: The pics are good. Yours seems to have a good amount of threads coming thru. The stripped screw I found in the bag was shorter compared to the replacement one they sent me. I bet you guys are right. With the amount of knives they put out on a first production run, there are bound to be a handful that have problems.

5. Quigin

Quigin Little member

I got my replacement screws today. They are a little long, so I will have to trim them to fit, which is good I think. The only problem is they are polished not bead blast, no big deal. I ordered some Vibra-Tite VC-3, so now I have to wait for that to come in to test.

6. Cpfrombv

Cpfrombv Huge member

I hope it works out and you get it flipping. :thumbsup:

7. itadakimasu

itadakimasu There are no kangaroos in Austria! JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

So my Tachon arrived today, got it on my desk right now. I'm so happy :manganr:

Would you guys recommend to loctite the screws, or does anybody knows it MT already did the job?

itadakimasu

8. Area965

Area965 JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Mine came with loctite already done (the pivots) and I did not have to adjust anything since I received it.

I did remove 2 screws on the spacers just to look around. These were not loctite on mine.

9. itadakimasu

itadakimasu There are no kangaroos in Austria! JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Okay, I'll go buy a safety torx bit right away, not sure, one of my handles slightly touches the blade, so I'm thinking about tightening the pivot screws for less handle play.

itadakimasu

10. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Did anyone ever solve the mystery of the weird 'take up'?

I've had mine for a while now and have only just noticed it. Doesn't bother me in the least, just curious.

[video=youtube;tXxeZiYuWpM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXxeZiYuWpM[/video]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2013
  11. Killerstephen

Killerstephen JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Id be curious to hear how to get rid of it if anyone does find a way. It really annoys me.

12. Andy T

Andy T Gentle Giant JDBA Official Member

Mine doesn't have the take up issue, but the handles seem to get closer together on the knives that do. My handles stop hard at the position where the take up starts in the video.

13. DeepSkyyz

DeepSkyyz Skyy'z the limit JDBA Official Member

I think it has something to do with the bushings. I managed to get it on my Alpha Beast after losing a block spacer, ended up using my latch as a spacer/thingy to keep the handle slabs apart. That wasnt the only thing, since my pivot screws were stripped I sourced two screws from my safe handles spacers which are shorter than the pivot screws. On the bite handle I think I was able to tighten it down more because the latch was thinner than the spacer making it tighter than it should be. That caused the uptakeup thingy on my AB so i'm guessing its from the bushings being too tight? If thats possible

14. jjhamilton

jjhamilton JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

So do you have to squeeze the handles together with force?? It looked like it from the vid??

15. laughingbuddha

Yeah, it does take a little bit of force.

All this time I've been flipping it I've never noticed it before. I just assumed that mine didn't do it because I was expecting it to be really noticeable... wasn't until today, when I took a closer look I noticed what it was doing.

It doesn't affect the handle swing or anything like that, it's just really strange.

16. jjhamilton

I'm sure it doesn't effect flipping, but it would annoy the hell out of me!! I hadn't actually seen the issue like that...meet a person that had one a little time ago but his didnt do it or hadn't started....that's just weird...gotta be a bushing issue, right??

17. laughingbuddha

It has to be something in the bushing... it's almost like something in there is being compressed.

It doesn't actually take all that much more force to latch shut than my PAB, they are very similar in latch tightness. Just that the Tach has this weird compressed/spongy type of feel to it.

18. jjhamilton

Those that have taken theirs apart for cleaning or such, did it return?

19. HarryVeryStoned

HarryVeryStoned Little member

I ordered mine yesterday and it is scheduled to arrive around the time I wake up tomorrow. Anything I should know before I open that glorious package?

20. laughingbuddha

The names of Popeye's four nephews are Pipeye, Peepeye, Pupeye, and Poopeye!