1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Blade HQ Microtech Tachyon II Pre-order

TheJackofClubs Sep 11, 2012

1. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

Me too !

Mine are loose. :bwah:

2. Dillon Brock

Dillon Brock strawboss

No shit!Your avatars are kind of a giveaway:bwah:

3. DeadPuppy

DeadPuppy JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

So I got my Tach 2 yesterday. First impressions: it's pretty freaking sweet. Definitely worth the buy. Here are some thoughts/notes.

First, my blade was not numbered, which I'm sort of bummed about. I guess it's more rare now? I still would have preferred a number cause I'm weird like that. The blade looks sick in person though, and I actually like the slots in it. The tolerances on this knife are top notch. It is the ONLY balisong I own where the blade does not rub the handles when closing. Awesome. The handles do have some marks that make it obvious they were cast, rather than machined, but it's not a big deal.

As with all of my balisongs, I decided to flip it a bit before applying threadlocker. I usually flip them until the handles begin to get loose to get an idea of what to expect the next day. After flipping for twenty minutes (and it flipped smooth right out of the box), I noticed the handles weren't loosening up at all...so I flipped some more. In that period I decided that it's a VERY good flipper, but VERY different from a PAB, which feels like a tank in comparison. The tach 2 feels very light and flips fast, but it doesn't feel blade heavy. I did chaplins and rollovers very easily and very smooth. The knife feels natural to me. I don't know why, I just like how it flips. I did notice that the latch throws off the balance slightly. Not enough to ruin tricks, but enough that I noticed it during helixes, etc. I think it flips pretty good now, and block spacers might help a bit. BUT, I DON'T THINK THE BLOCK SPACERS SHOULD BE TOO HUGE. I think the balance is almost perfect for how I'd like it now. I think putting huge spacers might make it do rollovers better, at the cost of speed and twirls(it's very twirly). I also like how different it feels compared to an AB or 42. My opinion is that I have a PAB and a 42, I don't need another one. The Tach 2 is already an epic flipper, I think any changes should be to make it flip better in its on unique way, rather than to make it more like a PAB. Leave the super-rollover-oriented heavy sort of flipping to a knife that already does it well.

After flipping I decided it was time to apply threadlocker and wait a night. When I took the pivot screws out though, I noticed they already had some sort of red threadlocker on them?!?!! Did anybody else have this? I checked one of the spacer screws and it had threadlocker on it already as well, so I just added some blue permatex to the ones I removed and left the rest be. Are they supposed to already have that? I know some companies (spyderco, kershaw?) put that on from the factor, but I wasn't aware Microtech was doing that with these.

Now to my complaints. Really, I think the knife is freaking amazing. One of the coolest knives I own, with some of the best tolerances, dimensions, and flipping capabilities of any. But one thing bothers me: THAT DAMN LATCH. The latch has to go. Throwing off the balance is one thing, but the problems with the latch are stupid. Lack of latch gate...blah. The latch doesn't hit the blade right now, but the more I flip, the more the aluminum spacer wears, and the closer it gets to the tip. It is sooo close right now that I refuse to flip anymore till I do something about the latch (which pisses me off, cause it's a really fun flipper). Also, the latch flopping around is beating up the safe handle. Not a fan of that. I also generally hate t-latches because they make fanning really annoying on the bitehandle. The latch itself is pretty cool looking. It's nice and the lockup is really solid. It's a nice latch, but dayum, get a freaking latch gate. The latch has got to go.

Which brings me to the next point. Roll pin? WTF. I'd love to remove the thing but I'm afraid I'm going to damage the handles pushing the pin out. Has anyone had any success removing your latch yet? How did you do it?

My other complaint is the finish. It looks great, and it feels great. I like it except it's already showing tons of scratches/scuffs. I had it in my pocket and the finish is already getting messed up.

The complaints with the latch and the finish mean that tomorrow or in the coming weekends, I might do some fun stuff with this. Goal: latchless Tachyon 2 with more of a polished handle finish, anodized purple or blue. I have some ideas on how to do this and I'm really thinking of going through with it. Unfortunately, I'm terrified of messing up. The problem is that this is an EPIC knife except for the stupid latch and annoying finish...I don't want to ruin it experimenting....we'll see how things go.

konger and Cpfrombv like this.
  4. gzb

gzb SUPER Moderator* Super Moderator

Then it's Wiha Tools. Arguably the best Torx bits made: LINK.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2012
  5. Dillon Brock

Dillon Brock strawboss

Ummn No:ropeman:Irwin is the best.Snap on is pretty good but high priced around here

6. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Cool review thanks DP:thumbsup:

Can't wait for mine to arrive.... stupid USPS, mines been stuck at their Jamaican sort facility for the last 4 days.

Lazy fuckn Jamaicans need to put my Tach on a plane :pissedevil:

7. sirhorsechoker

sirhorsechoker cheapskate balifag fliptard

i agree with all of this, except i like the finish.

the roller pin is actually super easy to remove. and highly recommended by me. flips even better without (i always say that, but this time i really mean it lol) ... i used the same punch pin to remove the latch that i use to unseat 42 pivots. you really don't even need a vice. i sat the knife on a spiral notebook (with the pin over the hole) and gently tapped it through with a hammer.

i went through the latch gate thing too. at first it works, then the aluminum slowly dents allowing the latch to contact the blade. at first i just replaced the barrel. then finally decided to scrap the latch.

I've flipped mine alot for about a week. I've never handled a bali that just stays this tight. its exactly as tight as day one i didn't know that happened. I've been flipping this the most by far of any of mah flippers.

i want to say its because i find it so comfortable to flip. the pAB is so hell on my hamburger meat-like hands...

i gots five badass flippers. but the t2, 42, and pAB only i grant 'must have' status. lol.

DeadPuppy likes this.
  8. THEONEANDONLY

THEONEANDONLY Drunk on the Blood of Saints JDBA Official Member

Ok, I got those three. What are the other two?

9. gzb

gzb SUPER Moderator* Super Moderator

OK, I did say "arguably"... :yuna:

For small bits, still personally prefer the German made Wiha line.

The aformentioned other two are right up there also for the most part. But a lot of Irwin bits are made in China like THESE.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2012
  10. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock Bali Demon JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

This type of finish is prone to scratches. It can be huffed or polished.

It is amazing for the money. Forget the Tachyon 1.

11. sirhorsechoker

sirhorsechoker cheapskate balifag fliptard

i really love my d/e roton and vg-10 spyderfly for flipping. but its more of a fun flip than a competition grade flip.

the roton is probably the second highest quality piece i own (next to the MT) and i think a very overlooked bali. its so heavy its not considered as a flipper. but if you like a Jaguar classic, you'll love a roton.

12. DeadPuppy

Thanks for the info! I'll give it a shot.

13. Mpsecare

Mpsecare Owl Man

Thank you for ordering from Blade HQ!

Order Number: BHQ-20000000000000
    Date Ordered: 11-23-2012

heads up for whoever got black bladed ones

14. DeadPuppy

The handles look sick with a satin finish... we'll see how they look anodized :ross:

...Pics to come

15. Andy T

Andy T Gentle Giant JDBA Official Member

Got my hopes up. I got a black one. No email for me.:ssad:

16. crazspence

crazspence Huge member

@buddha

i am now afraid to browse JD while on campus computers. that new .gif sig you got there makes pretty much all of JDBA nsfw. every time i open a thread it would be like trying to feel out landmines with my feet. or maybe you are indirectly telling me to focus on my midterms next week and preventing me from browsing while at school :ropeman::ropeman:

17. Cpfrombv

Cpfrombv Huge member

Same here. Gonna write and inquire about it. Whatever I learn, I'll let you know. :ssad:

Andy T likes this.
  18. DeadPuppy

19. alerma

alerma Huge member

rubber "O-Ring" mod if effect...

$5 shipped...

PM me for payment details...

Quick and easy, before the mod I had about a papers thin worth of clearance between the blade tip and latch and now I have just about a 1/16 of an inch...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2012
  20. accurate

accurate Accurate Devil JDBA Official Member

Go to the Settings tab and turn off the display signature line setting.