1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Big dirk for my brother’s wedding

RoyalM Oct 13, 2017

1. RoyalM

RoyalM Commando Devil Super Moderator Brigade Member

So, my younger brother was getting married. I was nominated as best man and stepped up to the task.

The plan:
    1) a big dirk for cutting the cake
    2) sgian dubhs for him, our father and the groomsmen
    3) leather sheaths for the sgian dubhs

A fair bit of work but doable as I’d bought a new grinder.

Materials:
    1) 5mm thick O1 for the dirk
    2) 3.5mm thick a andvick stainless steel for the sgian dubhs
    3) whiskey barrel staves for the handles
    4) black 2mm thick leather for the sheaths.

Kelper and seandavid55 like this.
  2. RoyalM

Inspiration. Brock makes a pretty badass sgian dubh

Attached Files:

3. RoyalM

Now for some progress pics. Experimenting with a ghetto jig. First time I’ve tried it. Block of wood with a less than 90° angle. Worked ok but a proper jig will be bought in due course.

A friend of mine let me use his gas forge for HT. He’s a member on here and should be along shortly to post, there’s even a video of the HT on his Instagram page.

The sandvik blades came out a nice shade of dark grey/black. Will match the wooden scales well. The plan is to use black leather dye to darken them.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    begreen61, seandavid55 and Kelper like this.
  4. RoyalM

The finished items:

Sadly there wasn’t any time for glamour shots. The blades need a wipe down and that will be them. The plan is to have the dirk engraved after the wedding.

Attached Files:

5. RoyalM

And now for the nightmare. I was polishing the blade and noticed several cracks from the spine towards the edge. Nothing longer than 8mm and nothing I could get a pin or knife edge to catch on.

I ignored them and kept hand sanding, thinking I’d maybe be able to sand them out...........

So, where did I go wrong? I’ve used O1 before and the knives I made could batton through knotted and twisted pine. No damage taken to edge or spine. I didn’t hear anything in the HT and I tempered in the same oven.

Happy for any feedback you guys have, I now need to make another dirk before my brother’s wife finds out.

Attached Files:

begreen61, seandavid55 and Kelper like this.
  6. ratstuph

ratstuph Hoodoo Operator Super Moderator

So I know nothing, or less-than nothing about knife-making/forging, but when I watch anything about it the heat-treat segment seems to be where most of the drama occurs. That would be my guess. Hopefully someone who actually knows something will chime in. Regardless nice short ,stabby groomsmen blades!

7. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Nice

8. Everything Mac

Everything Mac Huge member

seandavid55 likes this.
  9. jimmyjo

jimmyjo Brigade Member Brigade Member

Great job!

10. RoyalM

The weekend saw another attempt at the dirk and a spare sgian dubh I had.

The dirk went well as did the sgian dubh. No warpage and they both hardened first time. Tempering went well also, again no warpage.

Now to finish this beast:

Attached Files:

begreen61, desmodus and seandavid55 like this.
  11. mag1

mag1 No More Mr. Nice Guy Brigade Member

:smalldevil::ropeman::jdwink2: