1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

BG42 > S30V?

Applejacks Apr 30, 2008

1. Mike Stewart

Mike Stewart Knife Moderator/Bark River Knife & Tool

It does not lose it's wear Resistance and it's toughness is usually quoted at 63-65 so it is kind of tough - not like a-2 or 3V but tougher than the Stainless Steels.

You say you use a Diamond hone.

That is your problem with the S30v.

You are not refining the edge - you are making more microscopic chips so it continues to chip when you use it.

None and I mean none of the CPM Steels respond well to Diamond Stones.

I am sure that you have seen a number of us say over and over that steels like S30v need to have highly refined edges - I really hope that you know that none of us that say that would ever dream of using a Diamond anything on a Good hard steel.

You will have the exact same problem with CPM M-4.

2. MiG Angel

MiG Angel vodka + insane

I start off with extra coarse diamond to reprofile or repair then move up to ultra fine ceramics and finally strop with green .5 micron crayon.

3. bfm

bfm Should read BMF a new type of Strider

Hope you weren't trying the same stuff I was. :ross:

4. Buffalohump

Buffalohump Off the reservation

When CRK switch to S35VN I think I will buy a Zaan, or Insingo. One of the two.

5. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

I agree with this. I have experienced some edge chipping issues with s30 myself, incorporated.

6. sandwich

sandwich Brigade Member Brigade Member

Sorry to chime in so late in this but I love threads like these and can spend hours reading and re-reading the same stuff

Mike, can you comment more on how you shouldn't use diamond anything on CPM steels? Why is that and is that true even for diamond polishing paste or compounds? To get my sebenza (s30v) and other knives to a polished edge I use dmt diamond pastes, 6-3-1 micron. Should I switch to just high grit sand papers?

7. Mike Stewart

Diamond Pastes are fine.

I would not use them but they are extremely Fine.

I still feel that they are too aggressive and you can do a better Job with Compounds like the Black - Green - White and Pink.

The Compounds are slower but they will give you finer Scratches to perfect an edge.

8. Nmam

Nmam Average member

Some great information on materials in this thread. Thanks everybody for sharing their experiences . Very useful.

9. bfm

bfm Should read BMF a new type of Strider

How do you feel about ceramics, like sharpmaker etc?

10. Mike Stewart

Same as I feel about Diamond Hones.

No go for me.

11. Chris Daigle

Chris Daigle Half fast

Wow. Epic thread. And yes, I read every post. :devilcorn:

I have high hopes that the S35VN I got from Aldo finishes out as nicely as the CPM 154CM I've used.

VIVA LA ALDO!!

Mr.LaBella likes this.
  12. Aldo

Aldo NJ Steel Baron Knife Maker or Craftsman

Hey Chris, don't mention it!...............................Buy more!!:madaddy:

13. Per-Sev

Per-Sev Perforate & Sever

Hey Mike, do I have to worry about any edge chipping from a CPM 154 blade that is ground to .020 edge and heat treated to 61-62RC. What grit stones or belts do you recommend sharping a blade like this. Thanks

14. Mike Stewart

I think .020" should be OK.

Mine are more like .035" but I have not seen any chipping problems with it at that RC unless it was abused.

I don't sharpen on Stones but I set the edge geometry on 120 grit - re-set it again on 320 and then refine all the way to 9 micron and then polish.

15. Per-Sev

Per-Sev Perforate & Sever

I am glad to here that and since I use my knife as a knife and not as a pry bar I should be good. The thin edge had me concerned at first but after cutting a few things with it and seeing how it cuts with very little resistance I like the edge geometry and it should be a little easier to sharpen since I don't have to remove much steel. Thanks Mike