1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Best way to clean/lube a Microtech OTF

xielvas Jul 19, 2021

1. xielvas

xielvas Tiny Member

I have owned many automatics but never really followed Microtech's video suggestion of
    REM Oil - WD-40 - Compressed Air - Allow to dry - Fire a few times.

I use Tuff-Glide sparingly at the base of the blade allowing maybe 1-2 drops to penetrate the opening and then fire it a few times and allow the liquid to evaporate leaving the light dry lube on the surface of the spring and friction points. From what I have sorted out it is best to ALWAYS USE LESS lubrication than more. More = more crap inside the knife handle opening.

Here is my question;
    Is my way safer for my Microtech DE blades?

2. TriChrome

TriChrome Little member

I believe that no matter how much of anything you squirt inside, how high pressure your air compressor is, there will ALWAYS still be crap inside. I bought the proper bits to open it up and completely clean, then LIGHTLY lube with your lube of choice (I would use KPL today if I still owned any Microtech autos).

I also put a heavy grease (think I used white lithium) – just a small dab on the middle of the spring which REALLY helps with the shrill 'twang' noise some of these can have.

snache likes this.
  3. xielvas

xielvas Tiny Member

I'd love to take apart these Microtech blades like I do with p320, however Microtech will not honor the warranty if I do. I am NOT into sharpening DE blades.

4. TriChrome

TriChrome Little member

How would they know? It's the only way to properly take care of these in my eyes - especially if you EDC them (crap WILL get into them). They are fairly resilient but can gum-up time to time. Microtech themselves even sell (an obnoxiously priced) bit kit for their knives:

https://microtechknives.com/introducing-the-microtech-tool-kit/

Also, side note, but any company that doesn't let you do your own maintenance on ANY knife they sell is kinda bullshit. These are actually extremely simple inside. It's been a while but there's like the button itself, a 3-piece spring bar, and ~3x other parts. Pretty hard to mess it up. I wouldn't own any knife I would have to send back XX times a year to the manufacturer to have them clean it for me... wouldn't be worth it. Now if it's a safe queen that'll never leave your house YMMV, but at some point it'll STILL need a deep clean meaning dissassembly.

5. VashHash

VashHash JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I use the microtech method as described. I've also sprayed the inside with electrical parts cleaner and compressed air. Some people recommend filling with lighter fluid /naptha and shaking it. The secret is not to retract your blade with tape on it or other sticky residue if you can help it. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I mostly use a scarab and it has holes in the bottom. This allows air to flow. On my ultratechs I remove the glass breaker to have a open hole for air to flow. This means you can shoot air from the butt of the handle towards the blade opening. I've actually had my scarab spit out pocket lint during operation and it still locked open. The old scarabs have double springs though. As far as taking them apart I agree the double actions aren't complicated. The single actions are a little more difficult (Halo, CFO, ETC ETC.) because the spring is being put back under tension.