1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Best value/prefered high(er) end Bali?

Nikguy Jul 7, 2020

1. skyblue

skyblue JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

It's great to see most of the old timers out and supporting the new guy!! That's what this forum is all about! As Klyuchak correctly stated, top end really comes down to personal preference over anything. So what we like may not be consistent with your tastes, Nikguy. Lots of good suggestions already offered above, and by "a truly nice Bali" up to 1500 I'm assuming that you want a custom or midtech. Buying used will get you the best value, but do your research as this is still a pretty substantial amount you're willing to spend. I would suggest purchasing on the JD marketplace, from sellers that have been helpful contributors to the forum.

With that being said, balis from ELB, Korth, Fiore, Terry Guinn, and Balibalistic can sometimes pop up close to the top of your price range, but you'll get a better value from midtechs like Jerry Hom/Lloyd Harner's Maelstrom, Matt Cook's Fat Ladies, or balis from Adam Heibel and Brian Biegler. Notice that I didn't mention Palethius, because too many bought into the hype and purchased at inflated prices, then want to recoup their investment when they sell. Balis by those makers I mentioned are highly regarded by flippers in our community, along with those by Jason Lyons and Julian Klein.

Now I'm not a flipper and collect mainly for aesthetics, so I tend to have a little more "art" knives in the stable. I tend to look for examples that evoke the spirit of the handmade balisongs that I grew up with in the Philippines, and have been lucky to find examples from Chris Olofson, Walter Erikson, Ron Miller, Pardy Bugtai and Matt Cook to name a few. With regards to Boss Benny's comment above regarding Chuck Gedraitis, I have to respectfully disagree. When I was doing my research after returning to the hobby 4 years ago, I was consistently blown away by the balisong designs that Chuck was doing early in his career. His use of the most beautiful Damascus patterns for the blades and exotic inserts for the handles always had me drooling and wanting more, lol! Check out my humble trove of CG's and tell me you aren't moved by the art...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade LUC4 JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

My basis for the Chuck G comments is admittedly old... From when I last went to the Blade show in '06-08. Chuck was not new then but he was relatively new and as I said, his stuff wasnt bad, but it was not drop me to my knees good. Things may have changed. Same goes for anyone I may have not been BLOWN away by. I am giving my honest opinion but not trying to stir the pot. Hope that doesnt sound uber defensive...

3. Nikguy

Nikguy Little Member

4. skyblue

skyblue JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

No, your opinion is certainly valued, Boss Benny!! To be honest, I wasn't blown away either by Chuck's initial balisong designs, but he got progressively better before the subprime mortgage crisis brought about the recession, and with it, the end of high-end commissions from collectors. I believe that the examples that he brought to Blade around the time you went weren't actually his best work. I heard on a recent podcast that he planned on returning to making "art" balisongs, but it may take a while for them to trickle down considering the scarcity and cost of the materials and the fact that balisongs comprise just a small share of the blade market.

Joker188 and BennytheBlade like this.
  5. mike_geno

mike_geno Huge member JDBA Official Member

I wasn't a big fan at first but now that OSP has a bowie blade they look really great. I was not a fan at all of tanto. It was plain ugly. The textured handles also look like a big plus. I have my eye out but they are hard to come by.

6. Blalchawk357

Blalchawk357 JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

I dont miss my osp. If I was a better flipper, maybe but it essnt bad by any means

7. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab' Pakal I JDBA Official Member

osp pulled some real shady shit when ‘developing’ the mtrx

thats all i will remember about them

shame because it probably tarnishes his name a bit. i never thought his prices were out of line. as a maker you can’t control what happens second market. leave it to humans to fuck it all up. kinda made me not watch his work or desire one personally though so.....

are they still going for crazy high $ amounts?
    i dont pay attention to voodoo much

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  8. Bigbosssman

Bigbosssman JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

I see them on the gram but it’s usually “dm me for a price” type shit.

skyblue, Klyuchak and apdallaround like this.
  9. Bigbosssman

Bigbosssman JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

I also am attempting to pick up a mid tech. Trying to get a maelstrom cause of the sex appeal.

10. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

Wise words.

Let's take Marlowes and Ikomas off the recommendation list. If they're asking about what grail to buy on an open forum they can't afford them.

I got a custom from Chuck in the early days (still have it). Not disappointed but the quality wasn't there. I wouldn't put it on the "grail" list.

I own a few Korths...check out the "Model" series of balisongs. They are @#$% awesome...but those aren't customs.

Everybody knows I love Balibalistics. Add Santiagos, Guinns, and Dobruski to this part of the list.

***Also a fan of the non-custom 4x gold series...for anybody wanting to spend $$$

skyblue, Nikguy, Balibuyer and 2 others like this.