1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Best trainer

David Delgado May 6, 2019

1. David Delgado

David Delgado Little Member

Hey guys. I'm new to flipping but getting good enough this 10 dollar trainer isn't cutting it. I'm looking for recommendations on a really good trainer I can flip forever. Thanks in advance.

2. P-hilC

P-hilC Little Member

I been wondering the same thing actually. I'm new to this as well, and have wondered if it's best to train with the knife you plan to carry or at least the knife you are planning on getting good with. Taping the blade, or getting a trainer blade, etc.

It does look like you see a lot of squid trainers out there and that is one I am thinking about.

3. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

If you want to flip in public some good options are the Squid trainer, Hom Rhapsody, BRS Barebones trainer or the new Hypex Knives trainer.

Screenshot_20190507-105212_Instagram.jpg

If your not flipping in public.. just get a proper knife and tape the blade if you're worried about getting cut.

4. David Delgado

Thanks for the advice. I think im going to pull the trigger on the barebones. seems like a solid entry level choice. i like the hom but the extra 100 for something im going to beat up is hard to swallow. I appreciate it.

5. mike_geno

mike_geno Huge member JDBA Official Member

I mainly collect trainers. I have about 12. Everything from Squiddy's to HOMS's.
    Best bang for your buck is a Squid Triton. It will show marks after a while though. But I haven't flipped a V3 yet.
    My personal favorite is my BM51 with Flytanium Zenith Trainer. It takes a better beating than the squid cause of the G-10 handles. Which are also up-gradable which is cool.

AnthonyTheAbyss likes this.
  6. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

The advice given is exactly what you should listen to...if you want to flip a trainer forever. But if you're going to eventually flip a live blade...flip a live blade.

You flip a trainer then go to a live blade it is a whole different level of fear. You have to relearn everything.

***Buy a used quality knife for cheap and dull the blade is another option

7. David Delgado

Already got a couple cuts on the fingers from a live lol. I just wanted a good trainer with a realistic balance i could mess with in public without freaking people out. Thanks for the advice.

8. David Kamaker

David Kamaker Little member

Not many people mantiones the Svix zephyr trainers. I have one and love it and it is also a bit better price the squids, with a lot of similarities in quality.