1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Best fighting folder for self defense?

colubrid Oct 23, 2011

1. spectrum7

spectrum7 Average member

"IF" - I say "IF"

"IF" you are "going to war, the Rambo Knife might come in handy...
    If you can't find a gun, or at least a crossbow with explosive tipped bolts.
    My personal choice is a CQC-12, if you have to stick it in your pocket, the wave works, and it's ready when you pull it out.

Or check out the Zero Tolerance / Emerson Collaboration, the ZT 0620, best of both the Emerson design and solid reliability.

I've carried a ZT 0551 for work and it stands up to alot of use and abuse without ever failing. My CQC-7, will get a bit loose once in a while, but a little loctite will cover that just fine.
    But the real answer to that question is what you are most comfortable with, and what works best for you?
    Have you checked out a Strider DGG SMF? as for the finger choil, it will not stop the blade from penetrating which gives you a 4" blade, that can be called a 3.5" - ( 3.5" cutting edge vs 4" blade length) though if things go south, having to throw away a 500.00 plus knife would hurt...:ropeman:

But when it comes down to the gist of it, Wolfgang has the best answer, being smart or observant enough not to get in the situation to begin with, or being able to handle yourself well enough to "finish" what someone else starts...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2015
  2. Worker

Worker Slacker Brigade Member

Spyderco Civilian.

3. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Gary if you ever want to part with this blade let me know,

and as for a fighting folder better be something with a GREAT LOCKING SYSTEM so the knife doesn't fold and cut your fingers off. good fixed blade is the best .

4. waterdogs

waterdogs Brigade Member Brigade Member

Cold Steel Talwar folder, 5 1/2" blade, Triad lock....strong like bull, cuts like SIX motherfuckers ! (Waves quite nicely, too !)

View attachment 126821

5. JPalm

JPalm Huge member

Just Me

I would say some cheap ass knife that you could chuck in a trash can or drainage ditch after you shank the motherfucker that needs shank'en. Then you need to un-ass the area. After you get that taken care of you need to un-ass the country!!! :forumnoob:

6. Gaston444

Gaston444 Little member

What he says.

Gaston

7. XamaX

XamaX Huge member

Lolz.

8. RTBMIC

RTBMIC Huge member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2015
    desmodus likes this.
  9. vjb.knife

vjb.knife Investigador Subaquatico

Fighting Folder Oxymoron

Exactly which is why I posted earlier about fixed blade knives being the only acceptable cutting weapons. By the way in response to an earlier poster who was upset by an account of someone cutting their finger with a particular knife during a fight, get a grip on reality Buddy. You are going to get cut in a knife fight regardless of what knife you have. If that is not acceptable then don't carry a knife and hope for the best.

10. Ogr

Ogr Average member

[​IMG]

Of course I don't want be in a knife fight in my life, but if I'll need to defend myself only with folding knife, I want one of my Talwars in pocket.

11. stdlrf11

stdlrf11 A Most Impressive Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Eight months into my mustache testing, and I haven't been robbed yet.

I think you might be onto something!

It's more like an anorexic Wilfred Brimley than a Magnum PI, though.

crogers likes this.
  12. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

Wherever he is. :bwah::bwah::bwah:

Last Activity 02-28-2016 01:41 PM

stdlrf11 likes this.
  13. stdlrf11

stdlrf11 A Most Impressive Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Originally posted on 5-5-2012... :ropeman:

14. Nebuchadnezzar

Nebuchadnezzar Protagonist

How about a cod piece?

You could get a custom one, diamond encrusted titanium base?

[​IMG]

SlightChance likes this.
  15. Foch

Foch Little member

Triained

I am trained in knife fighting...take away? Bring a gun
    My preferred EDC folding fighter...Emerson Tiger. Designed for the fight

16. SlightChance

SlightChance Miller's Maddness JDBA Official Member

Since I have not been trained in knife fighting, I would probably go with a waved Spyderco Matriarch. It is similar to the Civilian, only less pronounced and probably a little cheaper. From my understanding the knife was designed for undercover cops with little to no knife fighting skills.

[​IMG]
    Here is a picture I found off google.

Or maybe the Spyderco Massad Ayoob. I believe it was designed to make transitioning from a pistol to a knife easier if I remember correctly. It does point very naturally, and the blade shape dose point and pierce very well.
    [​IMG] I actually own one of these, but it is easier to google a picture than take one of my own.

Then there is always a Balisong. IF I could get it open, I think that would be the best bet.

17. waterdogs

The middle one....(one of Cold Steel`s "Tag `em and Bag `em" models)

2013-08-25 Talwar knife 001 (640x480).jpg

18. TopHat

TopHat Drivin' that train..... Brigade Member

I think Magnum PI was still on when that was posted.

You should infract yourself....it'd be the decent thing to do.......

19. c219460

c219460 Brigade Member Brigade Member

CRKT makes a bunch of models (the M16 comes to mind) with a guard that keeps the hand from sliding up and acts as a flipper/wave combo. LAWKs safety to make the liner lock more trustworthy, and they don't cost much. :thumbsup:

20. waterdogs

I think it`s out of production now, but their Crawford/Kasper Tactical knife is still an impressive blade. Big and brawny, sharp as hell....

View attachment 136905 Crawford Kasper (800x600).jpg