1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in (Resetting your password should do "the trick") OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Benchmade 940-1501 or Griptillian 550-1

Kangstuh Mar 8, 2019

?

Which one?

1. 940-1501

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Griptilian

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Kangstuh

Kangstuh Tiny Member

Hey guys,

So I finally have the funds to buy a good high end production folder knife!!! I know there are other great companies but I have decided to go with benchmade mainly because their warranty is soooo amazing and also balisongs. I have narrowed it down to 2 knives. The 940-1501, which is the Knifeworks exclusive 940 (G10 with CPM 20cv), and the Griptilian 550-1 (G10 with CPM 20cv). They are two different knives but I still can’t decide. Griptilian is sturdier, so good for heavy use and backpacking/bushcrafting but alittle big for formal pocket carry. The 940 is amazing because it’s such a well rounded knife (can wear formal or casual) but idk how sturdy it is because of how light it is. I am just curious as to what the JD community would think. Which do you prefer or would get, 940-1501 or Griptilian?

Thanks,
    Kangstuh

2. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli Brigade Member

3. Kangstuh

Kangstuh Tiny Member

It’s very unfortunate but I don’t really want to involve politics please :( Just solely looking at the knives. Thank you!

4. crogers

Politics aside, I'm not a fan of EITHER of your choices.

Hope you're happy with what ever you decide on.

5. Kangstuh

Kangstuh Tiny Member

Lol what would you recommend for an EDC? 150-200$

6. crogers

I carried a Spyderco Endura for many years. I think I paid about $30 for it 25+ years ago. It was the first generation that had a plastic pocket clip. When the clip broke, I sent it back to Spyderco. They replaced it with a metal clip and sharpened it, and returned it to me at no charge. So, that seems to be a pretty good warranty! YMMV.

Even today, an Endura can be bought for less that $100. It's a pretty big knife, but Spyderco makes a shit load of knives in all sizes and about any price range.

There are plenty of other good makers out there. Maybe a trip to a well-stocked knife, tool, or hardware store would be a good idea.

Truthfully, it's hard for someone else to tell you what you should be carrying. A lot depends on your planned usage, or planned mis-use. :bwah: Many times a multi-tool may be your best EDC. Or, carry both. I carried my Endura and a Leatherman Surge. I still have both, but rarely carry either these days. I mostly carry my Victorinox Tinker now.

Again, other factors can include WHERE you'll be carrying. A lot of jurisdictions restrict size, function, etc. HOW do you plan to carry? Sheath or pocket. And many other factors can influence your choices.

Basically, only YOU can decide what you need.

7. Kangstuh

Kangstuh Tiny Member

I see! Thanks for the reply! Yah Spyderco is great and will eventually have one in the line up. I also agree with you on multi tools and that its mainly up to me to decide what blade but I guess I'm just curious as to what other people think about these two knives and which one they would pick if they could only choose one.