1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice
  1. Planterz

Planterz seriously nutz Brigade Member

Found the Ommegang Abbey Ale dubble at a local place. Not bad. Not bad at all.

Scurvy likes this.
  2. Scurvy

Scurvy 2nd Knifiest Brigade Member

I'll drink anything Ommegang makes! Hennepin is my favorite one!

3. Planterz

Also found La Fin Du Monde and Gulden Draak at the same place. It's gonna be a good night tonight (and a bad day tomorrow).

4. Mumbojumboo

Mumbojumboo Huge member

5. Scurvy

Scurvy 2nd Knifiest Brigade Member

Just cracked this Victory Swing Saison. Pretty tasty. Mild funk, not too much fruitiness.

[​IMG]

6. jujigatame

jujigatame Slanted & Enchanted

Had a few different tripels in recent weeks.

[​IMG]

This one from Bouelavard, Fluffy White Rabbits from Pretty Things and LaGrave from Troegs. Tripels aren't something I drink that often but a single bottle or bomber is plenty of ABV for the money and the flavors are usually interesting.

I'd say LaGrave was my favorite of the three with White Rabbits a close second. The Boulevard was fine but just didn't tickle my fancy that much.

Also had the Velvet Merlin oatmeal stout from Firestone Walker. I thought it was nice for a basic stout. It can be easy to forget about beers like this with all of the huge stouts out there that get barrel aged, coffee infused, made with unicorn tears, etc.

7. Stu Gatz

Stu Gatz Huge member

A very well balanced semi-sweet and spice malty brew this Ovila Abbey Dubbel... :madaddy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TacoMan5000 likes this.
  8. Travis B.

Travis B. Southern Devil

My buddies wife started doing YT reviews. Feel free to sub.
    [video=youtube;gXAySrcDqNg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXAySrcDqNg&list=UUlMCM4FXan2Ei1-n7kQhkHQ[/video]

9. Kai Winters

Kai Winters Little member

[​IMG]

10. Planterz

My favorite place for beer closes at 6 on Sundays. The problem is I never get off work until after 6 on Sundays. But I found a new source with good prices yesterday, and this was my haul. 20140511_201138.jpg

11. waterdogs

waterdogs Brigade Member Brigade Member

12. jujigatame

She's much cuter than most folks I've seen reviewing beer on Youtube. :jdwink2: Her attitude and outlook on craft is great.

She mentioned she likes porters and stouts and big, complex flavors so here's a recommendation you can pass on to her for some beer to try from my neck of the woods if she hasn't already - Clown Shoes. Big stouts are something they do very well. Undead Party Crasher (previously known as Vampire Slayer), Very Angry Beast or Blaecorn Unidragon are all quite good. Nice thing is that sometimes they linger on shelves for a year or two and give the flavors a chance to blend and change.

According to their website Clown Shoes in available at some spots in SC, hopefully one's in your area.

http://www.clownshoesbeer.com/vendor-list/?myState=SC

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2014
  13. Mumbojumboo

Mumbojumboo Huge member

Smoking Trip tip takes forever. I drank everything in the three house fridges and found the Hamms in the back of the garage fridge behind some soda and something called a wine cooler. I don't know what a wine cooler is but I don't like it.

[​IMG][/url]mumbo scrapmax 460 tri tip by mumbojumboo, on Flickr

Oh yeah, and a Scrapmax 460.

14. jujigatame

Here’s what has been on the table lately…

[​IMG]

Clown Shoes Space Cake – a double IPA at 9% that’s dank and sticky. Big malt base and not much in the way of noticeable bitterness. Reminds me of Lagunitas Brown Shugga in that regard but more mellow. Smooth and rich. It was really just one predominant note on the flavor but I liked it quite a bit so no issue there.

Jack’s Abby Calyptra – the third installment of their Hopstitution series of beers. They take the same base beer recipe (an extra pale lager, they only do lagers) and change the hops based on what they can get at the time for the given batch. This one had Calypso and Citra. Hence, Calyptra. Great aromatics on this one. I could just smell it for five minutes before drinking some. More smooth and easy going than their flagship IPL but still a great beer if you like these particular hops.

Berkshire Black IPA – I love a good black IPA and I dig pretty much everything from Berkshire. Those two factors made this beer a real disappointment. There was none of the malt characteristic I was looking for and the hops didn’t do much for me either. Turns out they used a particular technique to get the color from the black malt but not any of the roasty flavors. I don’t know why they made this choice but I say the beer really suffered for it. Drank half the bomber and poured out the rest. I almost never throw out beer but this held no appeal for me.

Boulevard Dark Truth – a Belgian style stout. I don’t have a lot of experience with these other than Allagash Black which I really like. Dark Truth was quite nice. A bit stronger and more layered than Allagash. I’d definitely come back to this one again. Love to find it on draft.

[​IMG]

NEBCO Elm City Pilsner – New England Brewing (NEBCO) is the best beer coming out of Connecticut for my money. Unfortunately they stopped distributing to MA year before last and I don’t think it has resumed. Luckily on a recent trip to CT I had the chance to stop and score some cans a few towns over from the brewery. Elm City is somewhat hop forward for a pils but I like it a lot. Smooth, easy to drink with a crisp feel and nice flavor. Checks all the boxes for a pils in my book.

NEBCO Sea Hag IPA – I think this beer gets overlooked because, as is the case with several breweries, their double IPA (Gandhi Bot) gets all the hype. I was guilty of this myself and passed over Sea Hag at different times in the past when hoping to find Gandhi. I should have taken the bird in hand and gotten Sea Hag sooner. It’s a very good IPA. Big aroma, nicely balanced and easy to put back for 7%.

Notch Left of the Dial IPA – Lately everyone is coming out with a session IPA. The interesting thing about Notch is that their whole lineup and approach is for low ABV at 4.5% or less. You could say they were session before session was the cool thing to do. This beer has the hop smell you expect from American IPA. The taste follows the same line but a lower volume. It’s not unlike an English IPA in feel but has less of a malt note. Very easy to drink. For an afternoon at a BBQ or ballgame you could enjoy several without getting fatigued.

Finch’s Secret Stache Stout – My first beer from this Chicago brewery. The can notes it is brewed with vanilla. Mild bitterness and a nice roast/char flavor. Chocolate leans toward sweet and feels dry & powdery like cocoa. Has a nice body too. Maybe a little thinner than I like for a regular stout but not by much. A solid offering.

15. Mumbojumboo

Mumbojumboo Huge member

16. Clovis

Clovis Brigade Member Brigade Member

Warm weather is here and loving it! Beer weather for me.
    Here is few I've been knocking back lately. :devilwag:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

17. jujigatame

^ Good stuff. I haven't had Hoptimum for a while but the memories are fond. :manganr:

I tried Allagash's new saison and really liked it. Had a smoked marzen and a rye session IPL from Jack's Abby too. Both excellent.

18. jujigatame

[​IMG]

Narragansett Del's Shandy. Regular Gansett lager mixed with the flavor concentrate of Del's frozen lemonade (something of a Rhode Island institution). This stuff was ridiculously hard to find for a while. Places were selling through dozens of cases in a day. I think they must have upped production because it seems to have evened out in terms of availability, at least in my area.

Anywho, it's pretty good. Best at ice cold temps. Tastes more like lemonade than any type of beer. Nice for a hot day and the can art is cool.

19. Clovis

Clovis Brigade Member Brigade Member

The Hoptimum is bitter starting out, get about half a bottle down and it's not as noticeable. The double wide is well balanced. The dogfish 120 is hard to find and a bit pricey. It runs around 20% abv so that makes up for the price.

20. jujigatame

Double Wide is really good. So is Single Wide, or pretty much anything else I've ever tried from Boulevard for that matter. :morebeer:

I never took the plunge on the 120 Minute. Thought about it several times but always seemed to find something else to spend the cash on that I had more confidence in. Not that I ever doubt the quality from DFH but it's such an outlier on the ABV even for someone who likes strong beers.