1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice
  1. Mikes1

Mikes1 Huge member

You can't go wrong with this

[​IMG]

This was termed as black larger?? Tasted good though

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2014
  2. jujigatame

jujigatame Slanted & Enchanted

No pics but...

Slumbrew Snow Angel is a big smooth DIPA. Not juicy and tropical, more piney with rich malt base. Drank pretty easy for 9%.

Jack's Abby Sunny Ridge Pilsner is up next.

3. nostimos

nostimos JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

MMMMM . . . . .
    Double/Imperial IPAs.
    I may have to try this Slumbrew Snow Angel you speak of.
    And 9% ABV is usually as low as I'll go with a DIPA.
    I prefer as high as possible, but without it tasting/smelling like turpentine.:bwah:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  4. Planterz

Planterz seriously nutz Brigade Member

The Rochefort 10 is in my top 5. My #1 is St. Bernardus Abt 12. If you've never tried it, do so. It's amazing. It's sweeter/fruitier than the Rochefort 10, so preference might depend on your mood or what you just ate and how long ago you ate it.

Chimay Blue is great too, but for the cost, I'd rather get the Rochefort 10 or Abt 12.

5. Scurvy

Scurvy 2nd Knifiest Brigade Member

I agree that St. Bernie is the better Quad. Chimay Blue is my least favorite of the Chimays (it's still great though)

Has anyone tried the USA based Trappist beers?

http://www.spencerbrewery.com/

6. jujigatame

It's available at many places with a good craft selection in my area but I have not gotten any yet. The going rate is $17-19 for a 4 pack and $5-ish if they happen to sell it as a single. Not far off from the European Trappists. Going into it I think a lot folks thought a domestic option would be cheaper than that but it's not the case. Granted, Spencer did invest a ton in their new facilities and distro can play a role but that price tag is a good sized hurdle on a debut product, particularly if you're not a big Trappist fan. I'll probably try a single eventually to satisfy the curiosity of the only US Trappist but there are several other local beers I'm more keen to try than Spencer and I can do it for less.

Got into the Jack's Abby Sunny Ridge tonight. It's a good one but not great. Nice flavors, could be a bit richer for my taste. I always have very high expectations for anything from this brewery.

[​IMG]

7. stdlrf11

stdlrf11 A Most Impressive Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Shiner Wild Hare is back in stock.

Beer snobs don't think too highly of Shiner, but I really dig a few of their brews. Wild Hare is a basic Pale Ale, but they did it right. Its a great reward after a long ride.

8. Planterz

Planterz seriously nutz Brigade Member

I haven't tried much in the way of American ones (a couple from Abita) but Unibroue (Canadian) makes some great beers. La Fin Du Monde (tripel) is fucking excellent. Reasonably priced too.

9. Scurvy

I love american Belgian beers. Spencer is actually certified Trappist beer just like Chimay, Westmalle, Rochefort etc though. Similar to how you can only call sparkling wine champagne I'd it comes from that area of France.

As far as american Belgians go, I love Allagash and Ommegang's offerings.

My favorite beer style is the saison personally.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2014
  10. jujigatame

Hard to go wrong with anything from Allagash or Ommegang. The Allagash saison is just hitting stores around here in 4 packs. I will definitely be giving that a try. Their White is one of my all time favorites from any brewery or style.

11. Scurvy

Ommegang's hennepin is probably the most accessible saison out there. It can get a little funky once you get into the big saisons. Hennepin is what got me into saisons.

12. jujigatame

Yeah, Hennepin was the first one I tried as well. I saw that Stone just came out with a saison. Looked rather more clear in the glass than I'd expect but might be worth a shot. I wasn't crazy about the Saison du Buff collab from them when I had it a few years ago but I do like their Cali-Belgique.

http://www.stonebrew.com/saison/

Had a bottle of Jack's Abby Framinghammer last night. This may be my favorite Baltic porter to date. Very robust and filling. Nice flavors and 10% ABV is quite well hidden aside from a little heat at the outset.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2014
  13. Scurvy

Brooklyn makes a really really funky saison if you like um funky. Sorachi Ace.

Sierra Nevada does a collab with a monestary and makes some kick ass Belgians. The brand is called Ovila. They had a KILLER saison a few years ago but it looks like it's been replaced by some Orange Peppercorn Saison. I haven't tried it yet.

Its been tough for me since my favorite beer store closed last year. Only option now is really just Total Wine.

14. jujigatame

Agreed on Sorachi Ace, it is excellent.

The Ovila was good but overpriced at several of the places I saw it.

15. Scurvy

At my old place that closed it was the same price as most of the 750ml bottles.

I don't know where you are located but if you can ever get your hands on Red Sky at Night from Heavy Seas, do it. It's incredibly rare, they don't even make it some years if they can't get enough ingredients. They are from Baltimore so mid-atlantic/northeast is the place to find it.

Also, if you really like the funk of Sorachi Ace, find Cuvee des Fleurs from Southampton. It is RIDICULOUS.

Damn, this thread of making me nostalgic. I need to find a new beer store.

16. jujigatame

We do get Heavy Seas in Mass. but I'm not sure about that particular one. Don't see too much of Southampton at my usual stops. Maybe some Double White on occasion.

There are some good local options up here for saison. Jack D'Or from Pretty Things is really solid and Mystic does a lot of saisons.

17. Scurvy

Like I said, Red Sky at Night is REALLY rare.

I've never heard of Pretty Things or Mystic. Are they available outside of New England?

Oh and to satisfy the picture aspect, here's an old picture from my bachelor days:

[​IMG]

18. MrDaniel

MrDaniel Huge member

It's never too much you know ;)

19. Scurvy

This thread inspired me to go out and find some new beer. Appears Starr Hill and Victory have jumped into the Saison game. I will report back with my findings at a later date.

20. jujigatame

Pretty Things is Mass, RI and New York as far as I know. Not sure about Mystic but my guess is they're only in New England, maybe not even all of it. I really want to hit their tasting room someday.

Nice pic by the way.