1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Been thinking about this one for a while now. Ideas?

RNST Oct 13, 2013

1. RNST

RNST Entrusted Devil Super Moderator

Let's say your family has a history of people that have either lived long long lives and some who have died in their early 50's. I am in my mid fifties and have been wondering about making things simpler for my loved ones should I get hit by a bus or kick the bucket sooner than later. Don't get me wrong, I have a pulse of 60 and the BP was about 110 over 70 this morning after my coffee; so I am not feeling self morbid. I have lost some friends of late who were in their fifties and it has really made me take stock of my own personal life.

What about all the stuff you have accumulated over the years ie knives, flashlights and other bling etc. Do you start paring down now so life is very simple? Do you leave things intact the way they are and utilize knowledgable friends who would be able to dispose of the assets for your family? I have two people who have offered to do this for me and that meant a lot! :ron: Do you have say 10 knives set aside for Grand Children who may appreciate these sort of valuables some time in the future?

Do you sell everything now and keep only the very best of the best in your collection? Who knows, you may own the next best maker whose value of knives skyrockets on the secondary market?

See in my family I have a wife and three daughters. We had the discussion recently about the value of some of my knives etc. Husbands usually dread this conversation but in this case an open discussion opened up some lines of communications that made me pause to reflect upon "what if". This could mean my friends step up, sell the collection and keep a reasonable amount of commission plus expenses out of their pockets. The alternative is my wife who doesn't know a really valuable folder from a SAK would sell the collection $15 on the $1000. :facepalm:

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2013
  2. anusbuster

anusbuster BANNED Fucktard

same here fully understand

i have just concluded my process, i sold last week 530 knives from my 40 year collection to an Auction company for about 45% today value. this allowed me to make a ttl return of just south of 137%. example CAse xx purchased nib 1982 $18.00 sold for 23.75. now that value today on say ebay is selling currently for 39.50.

this is how it happened, I asked 3 sons what they wanted knife wish. 11 knives of nearly 350 , that's it.. YOU HAVE TO UNDERSTAND THAT WAS YOU HOBBY, and no one want to hurt your feelings, but most family or anyone could care less about our love of metal blades.

in my case, as in yours, i am dying, i just got a little advance notice, CANCER. I think we all need to prepare, it took me 3 months to organize my items to where i knew value. after i discuss with buyer , who picks up tomorrow,paypal last Sat., i will reply with his company name if you desire. good luck looking back the guys on these sites are the ones you wish could buy them all, i just did not have time due to illness

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2013
  3. ratstuph

ratstuph Hoodoo Operator Super Moderator

I believe we do a kindness to those left behind if we clean up our mess, in this case I mean don't make them choose what to keep, what to sell, or for how much. The more I can arrange, and take care of in advance the better. That doesn't mean to sell it off if you don't want, just have it arranged so your survivors don't have to, in what may be an emotional time for them.

4. firebolt

firebolt Hollandse Duivel Brigade Member

print out excel sheet with pictures, maker, material, price paid and expectation in market + or -
    and names to contact when they need to unload my little collection, ( friends what will not screw theme )

as they never did had a clue it has some value to it ,
    they would just give it to the first one who walked in the door for theme

5. nostimos

nostimos JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

This thread has got me thinking.
    I have no family of my own other than parents, sibling and his wife/kids.
    They all know I have a lot of "stuff".
    I've informed my brother and parents that it's not junk and has value.
    I've tried my best to keep it organized and updated/logged.

But if something happens to me, they will have a lot to go through in deciding what to do with my knife, gun, coin, record, poster, concert shirts, toy, musical instrument collections.

I'm only 41 now, but have thought of eventually narrowing down the collections.
    Especially ones that take up a lot of space.
    Sort of a "just one box each" philosophy.
    And however many valuable knives and my few guns I can fit in my safe.

I probably wont worry about this till I get around 60ish, just to see where the prices go.
    But you know what they say about collecting "valuables"?
    To get your money back or make money you may have to sell it to another collector of YOUR genre.
    If i wait too long the younger generation of collectors may not care about Hot Wheels, tube amps, vinyl records, etc.
    Yeah, my Terzuola ATCF will always go up in value and have a buyer, but maybe not my 80's Japanese balisongs.

This got me thinking of your situation.
    If you have a wife and three daughters that may not share your passions,
    just leaving a few choice items for them.
    It may be all they need/want to remember you by.
    And a HUGE collection may be too much for them to deal with when the time comes,
    regardless of how organized it is.

Ratstuph is right, sometimes the best thing we can do is clean up our stuff so our loved ones have fewer things to deal with.
    You shouldn't concern yourself with "I don't want to sell this now because it may be the next big thing".
    Your daughters may not care or acknowledge this down the road if its true.
    I'm sure you have plenty of stuff that's proven itself time and time again, regardless of market trends, to increase in collectable value.
    Hold on to stuff like that, or leave some of those for loved ones.
    Weed out the other "fillers" of your collection.

My personal belief and experience is that expecting others to honestly liquidate your collection at the financial gain of your family is asking for trouble/drama.

I remember selling off a few high end gun collections when I helped out at a store.
    Same story every time:
    Husband dies,
    leaves wife/family with valuable collection,
    wife is overwhelmed, asks for our help to LEGALLY liquidate collection and make some money,
    and transfer "just a few" guns to family members,
    Siblings fight over who gets the valuable early Winchester lever action IN THE STORE!:bwah:

Good luck, and you've already done the hardest part by coming to terms with needing to have "the talk" with your loved ones. :thumbsup:

6. droid

droid This IS the droid you are looking for! Brigade Member

I'm 53 and have given this quite a bit of thought.

My wife knows the value of my guitars and tube amps as well as most of my guns.

The coins and stamps are easy to figure out on an internet connection.

The knives I left to my brother to figure out what to do with...
    If he goes before I do, I told my wife to log on here at the JD and ask for help... Hahahahahahaha! Hey, I had a heart attack in December, stay tuned!! :manganr:

We don't know when we'll die and after we go, are we really going to care if someone has to paw through our belongings???

The only thing I did in that regard was put all my important papers in one place in a heavy-duty, fireproof safe. Bolted it to the foundation with eight 3/4" Hilti bolts... It isn't going anywhere!

My dad died 2 years ago and I'm STILL going through everything he had. His paperwork was strewn everywhere.
    Funny thing, I never knew it, but dad must have had a thing for satellite TV boxes... Found over 40 of them throughout the house, garages and storage buildings!!!! My brother and I would laugh and go, "Here it is!! Here it is!!!" What? ANOTHER box? Hahahahaha!

My personal feeling is instead of worrying about all that, live life the best you can and make wonderful memories with the ones you love. The rest is irrelevant. Call me crazy...

7. pad2

pad2 Helps enable Mr.LaBella's addictions Brigade Member

what Ratsuph said ......... and

you don't need to decide who might like what --- they would surprise you anyway..... and you don't need to liquidate "just in case" --- just provide some direction that they can safely look to for help, i.e. a trusted friend.

If there IS a particular item that you beleive one of the kids may like to have, then name them --

and by the way ..... how about passwords? ... you got those down where the wife can quickly find them ... like a PayPal account that may have a little ney in it at any given time?

8. kayakjax

kayakjax Deep & Wide Brigade Member

The weight of STUFF

I just turned 56 last month. My dad passed away at 85 three years ago, and my mom died this spring at 79. I bought their house and everything in it when they moved to an apartment (and then to an assisted living facility shortly thereafter) in 2008.

So, I ended up with TWO houses full of stuff that has sentimental value to me (and my parents before me), but not much to the younger generation who never even met the people some of this stuff was handed down from.

Understandably, I've been giving considerable thought to the matter of possessions and their worth - and their weight - to others.

I am single and have no direct descendants. Now, every book, knife, flashlight, fountain pen, or recently, every old briar pipe I buy comes with the realization that whoever winds up with it will probably sell it for pennies on the dollar.

I recently sold my parents' house and moved back to MY old house. My parents were both packrats (the term "hoarders" spring to mind), as am I. I've been desperately culling possessions, but still have a house bursting at the seams with STUFF.

And, I had so much fun on my recent vacation touring 23 states on my way home from the Grind-In, that I'm considering buying an RV or duallie and 5th wheel trailer. As a single guy, I should be able to live in a 35' trailer with 3 slide-outs. SHOULD BE.

So, I'm looking around this house staring at a lifetime's accumulation of thousands of books, hundreds of knives, and just a lot of STUFF.

Do I want to stay here and be a caretaker to all this stuff, or do I want to shed virtually ALL of it and go mobile? If I do that, how do I liquidate three or four generations of family belongings including 10,000+ books, when none of my family has the room or desire to take any of it?

How do I try to put value on any of it? Do I just give it all to charity or do I try to go through it all and try to find buyers for it? My family was not wealthy, and most of the stuff is just STUFF. There are no real gems hidden in there.

The stuff I've collected, like the guns and knives, have more value than probably all of the rest of it put together.

Now, everything I buy, I have a moment's pause to think about what I'll have to do with it, eventually.

Right now, I still don't know what I'm going to do. I'm probably going South for the winter in the next month or so. I'll be looking at RV's and trailers while I'm there and there's a good chance I'll come back North sometime in March in my new home.

The easy solution is to do nothing, and to just keep all my stuff here, but that's not actually a solution.

9. nostimos

nostimos JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

HEHEHE, what's the saying:
    "do you own your stuff, or does it own you?"
    Yeah, when it really comes time to go through stuff, you see just how "valuable" things are.
    Most the times it just STUFF.
    Funny how tons of boxes that MIGHT equal a few grand if sold properly,
    compare to a 12 knife collectors case with almost 10K shoved in it. :bwah:
    I stopped obsessing about vintage Hot Wheels in pristine packs once my knife collection got above 5K. :manganr:

Good for you Kayakjax, downsize and take those trips in your trailer,
    with only as many "toys/stuff" as you can fit in there. :thumbsup:

10. Alabama

Alabama Average member

I'm about the same age as to be having these same thoughts.
    FWIW I've seen friends who collect one thing or another and they've gone through these manic phases where they feel like they have to 'downsize' and 'unclutter' and 'simplify' and whatever their good intentions may have been, what ACTUALLY HAPPENS is they wind up parting with a lot of rare things they valued and invested a lot of time (years) in acquiring/restoring/assembling/whatever, and selling it in most cases for less than it was worth because they were passing through a phase.

When the phase passed they regretted it, but the stuff was gone. Sometimes a spouse or a 'friend' helps push them to the 'downsizing'.

Don't be emotional. Don't let your collection burn a hole in your pocket. Make a good thorough appraisal for yourself/heirs now with notes with prices, videoing your collection/s with a narrative is good, and remember your spouse or heirs don't generally have to make decisions about your collections on the spot, or even within a year. If they do, some 'trusted' person will usually take advantage of the situation. Haste is rarely your friend.

And yes, it's strange to know that one day everything you cherish today will either belong to someone else who's never heard of you or will end up in the landfill.

Check youTube for George Carlin's routine on dying and being reunited in heaven with all our lost 'stuff'.

Good luck. Do nothing hasty. You don't have to reduce your life to what you can fit into some vehicle. Enjoy and appreciate the stuff you have.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2013
  11. Clydetz

Clydetz Forever straight and true Brigade Member

I've given thoughts about what to do with my knife collection when I'm gone. I already told my 2 sisters about my spreadsheet describing each & every knife (photos and more info are kept in a plastic box). I also have made them aware of Mr. LaBella's card taped to my computer if they should need help. :manganr: