1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Basic Sheath tutorial

Chuddy Bear Apr 27, 2008

1. moon

moon knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

I really like that x back,that is outstanding.

2. jimmyjo

jimmyjo Brigade Member Brigade Member

Thanks for the thread, I am one of those people you have helped. I have made knife and gun leather goods but they come out like they need to stay concealed. You have sharpened my skills just form that post. Thanks, jimmyjo

What kind of thread do you use? I ended up with a coated thread like dental floss and don't like it much.

3. Chuddy Bear

Chuddy Bear Sheathmaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

JimmyJo,

I use waxed nylon threads. You get used to the wax and it does make pulling them easier. It also seems to help keep the thread from getting tangled onto itself.

4. leatherman

leatherman Beelzebub's Leathersmith Knife Maker or Craftsman Super Moderator Brigade Member

Agreed 100% For most of my uses I get the Tejas thread from Tandy. Its thick, strong as heck, and works very well. And the spool makes a cool hamster home. :jdwink2:

5. mtnfolk mike

mtnfolk mike Archer-Leatherworker Knife Maker or Craftsman

GREAT TUTORIAL...:tubtar: THANKS FOR POSTING... that sheath came out bad ass...

6. jimmyjo

jimmyjo Brigade Member Brigade Member

Thanks for the tips

7. mikeymoto

mikeymoto Don't make me cu..OW! Knife Maker or Craftsman

I like using Marlow's #4 whipping twine. Comes in some great colors too. There's some other sail repair thread I use - it's heavily waxed - though it isn't as strong as the Marlow.

8. General Specific

General Specific Huge member

CB, how do you get the X back to line up with your stitch line if you put it on after drilling the sheath? I know my mind is just not grasping something obvious, but what:ropeman: Thanks for the tutorial. I will definitely be better off on the next sheath attempt.

Regards,

Dave

9. Chuddy Bear

Chuddy Bear Sheathmaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Once the sheath is drilled. I take the already cut out x, which I left just a tad wide at the end of the x's, and I lay it on the back of the sheath so that the top side of the x's are aligned with the first hole where I want the stitching to start on them. I then just hold the x in place and flip it over so that the x is on the table under the sheath. I then take a harness needle and put it through the holes over where the x is and tap it lightly so that it makes an impression in the back side of the x. Once I have marked all of the holes on the x, I make the holes go all of the way through the x with my awl, then I flip it over and make the groove run through the holes.

I hope that makes sense. If it makes no sense to you, send me a pm and I will give you my cell number.

Chuck.

10. Centerfinger

Centerfinger George Clooney is a Spy

wow, great tutorial and very nice work its the best one I have seen. I will have to make a few sheaths for blades I have coming in and will refer to this frequently.

Do you have any tips on doing a piggy back style sheath?

11. General Specific

General Specific Huge member

Makes great sense CB! Thanks for clearing my head up. That might come in handy in several other circumstances too!

Regards,

Dave

12. mack1

mack1 Resident Bastid

Same here!!! Thanks for the Tutorial! It'll help out alot, as I need to still make a sheath fro my Damascus knife from the piece I got from Del at last Oct's Grind In.

Now I just need to find about a square foot of leather to make it!
    Any ideas, anyone? There are a lot of places that are reluctant to cut a hide.

13. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

:bumpers: for excellent information

14. Jorge Banner

Jorge Banner Down For Life

Very nice step by step Chuddy Bear. Thanks.

There should be more like this.

15. sheathmaker

sheathmaker sheathmaker and M.C. (master of comedy) Knife Maker or Craftsman

Why you don mek thees a steeky, Meester LaBella?

Paul

16. leatherman

leatherman Beelzebub's Leathersmith Knife Maker or Craftsman Super Moderator Brigade Member

Good idea. :ernie:

17. M.Olexey

M.Olexey capo of the Texas knifemaking mafia Brigade Member

Great post! Thanks.

mo

18. Semper708

Semper708 I know more about nothing than you ever will My Ass is on Probation

:wow2: Can't believe I missed this the first time around......Great info....Thanks for sharing! :semper:

19. lyon-den

lyon-den Average member

This is definately a great tutorial. Wonderful job.

You make it look so easy buuutttttttt when you do it there are always issues that arrise.
    If your fairly good with your hands the issues are all workable. There is certainly nothing better than being able to say I made this.
    Gary

20. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Wow

Have 2 of your sheaths,infact just made me one for my HOGFSH,,Your work is unbelivable,and this thread shows me the work involved,Im amazed,your a true craftman,,Which means I'll be back