1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Bark River Knives JerzeeDevil Grind-In 2013

Mike Stewart Nov 30, 2012

1. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

My eyes are still bleeding for lack of sleep.

Thanks to EVERYONE who came out, and especially those that organized this.

Amazing people, all around!

:grouphug:

2. Bobasan

Bobasan Brigade Member Brigade Member

Thanks to Mike and everyone at Bark River Knives for inviting us into their house. What a great group of people who are certainly our kind of crazy. My head is still spinning and it will take a grinder to get rid of the grin on my face. :manganr::manganr::manganr:

Bob

tubtar likes this.
  3. mag1

mag1 No More Mr. Nice Guy Brigade Member

Couple of Random Pics..
    I had a blast!Thanks everyone!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. sandwich

sandwich Brigade Member Brigade Member

Mike and company are the best at hosting these events and they are so much fun :ross: Had a great time this weekend and really like the knife I made. Much thanks to BRKT and everyone involved :manganr:

5. Mr.LaBella

Today someone asks me: "Michigan??... Michigan???? Was it cold there??... What did you go to Michigan for????...Do you have family there???"

My reply; an emphatic "Yes."

6. Tony8179

Tony8179 Bone For Tuna Brigade Member

Damn double posts!

So, how do you put into words what this experience is actually like?

You don't. You're either there or you miss the fuck out. Those that miss out are really, really missing out on something special.

Huge thanks to the entire Stewart family and the Bark River crew. They do this thing for us as knife lovers and it is a one of a kind and wonderful thing. An experience unlike any other and you get to share it with some of the finest people that this world has to offer.

To all the Devils, you guys fuckin rock. All of you make me proud to be part of this forum. Never have I felt more comfortable around people that I've never met before. It was awesome to see the familiar faces. I always look forward to hanging out with youse guys. I hope to see everyone there next year as well as some new faces.

Every year the knives that are made look better and better. Some of the designs and creations were quite inspiring and beautiful. It really wouldn't be possible to create these knives without the hard work of the crew. I can not wait for the rest of you Devils to see what was made by everyone this year. Jaw dropping!

To the Ron!! This forum and this particular experience would not be a part of my life without you, my friend. All I can say is that I think I can speak for everyone when I say, I raise my glass to you, sir.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2013
    Mr.LaBella likes this.
  7. Mr.LaBella

[YOUTUBEHD]tX6ggRByE8g[/YOUTUBEHD]

"Well, here comes Johnny with his pecker in his hand"

For those who don't know- now you know.

8. Meridian Blades

Meridian Blades Got Wood? Knife Maker or Craftsman

I think this -->
    "Well, here comes Johnny with his pecker in his haaaaaaand"

Was usually followed by this -->
    "Yes, I will have another Heineken"... :manganr:

9. tubtar

tubtar high caliber consecrator Moderator Super Moderator Brigade Member

:bwah::bwah::bwah::bwah:
    An absolute no shit right there.
    I am still grinning like a fucking baboon from the hilarity we initiated this past week end.

10. Mr.LaBella

The closer I got to home on the aeroplane made me happier as today (hopefully) someone would be making leather sheaths and possibly my knives would be here before the 21st.

:madaddy: :thumbsup: :manganr: :jdwink2: :ropeman:

And no one was hardly drinking... Maybe Travis was?!

:devilcorn:

11. JIMMY_MAC

JIMMY_MAC easy rider Brigade Member

Seven years ago the Ring Leader of this Band of Merry Men shooting sparks from a grinder asked me to join them on a trip to Escanaba.
    And he continued to do so for the following 6 years. Due to family responsibilities, sadly I had to say no.....
    But this year was different. Kids out of college, both gainfully employed, I decided it was time to make the trip.
    And I am ever so glad I did.

There are really no words to describe what I experienced. A camaraderie amongst men, and women that just has to be experienced.

The folks at Bark River are by far some of the most amazing group of talent i have ever seen. Their professionalism and patience is beyond reproach. Not only did they help a non talent joe like my self build 2 awesome knives, but they did it without making me look bad in the process. These fine folks took us into their house and made us feel as if we were family.

Mike Stewart,
    I can't thank you enough for having me, and making me feel right at home. While your knowledge and experience speaks for itself, your ability to share that with all of us is priceless.

Needless to say I had a great time. Seeing some of the friends I already met, and meeting all the new ones as well. A finer group of crazy fuckers all in one place would be hard to find.

If you've been thinking about attending one of these events, I strongly urge you to do so. I know I am going to do my best to never miss another one.

Special thanks to Steve for providing us with transportation all weekend.

JIMMy_MAC

12. mkphc

mkphc Brigade Member Brigade Member

I couldn't agree more with Jimmy,
    What a great experience, to be understood by people who are as crazy as we are about knives and to NOT be ostrisasized for our hobby, naa' way of life is priceless.
    Not to mention our most gracious host' Mike Stewart, Leslie, and the WHOLE famliy' and crew!;)
    In a world gone to shit to have such a great group of people, a true family, a retreat for true knife lovers is truly "priceless"
    I'm just greatful and I feel sooooo privileged to be able to be a part of it and to have the time to enjoy all of the new people me and my daughter met.
    THANKS ALL
    See ya next trip!

13. Honch0

Honch0 head honcho

I too echo Jim's comments, as they could not be more true. He motivated me to attend this years Grind-In. And for that I am truly thankful.

A finer group than Mike Stewart has assembled cannot be found, from his close friends like Mike Grasso (expert grill master, cooked fillet minion steak for hours) and Rick Monsour (expert grill cleaner, literally spent two hours cleaning a grill that was trucked in for the occasion) to Mike's family, who all make you feel like a long lost relatives that they have missed for 20 years.

Mike's crew greats you with a helping hand, a hardy laugh and endless patience for neophyte knife wannabe makers like me. His team works hard at making what they do look easy, until you realize that their skills are learned over thousands of repetitions. A gentleman nicknamed "Skittles" is a master at every aspect of knife making as well as mastering the art of "good will ambassador" while tutoring all comers.

Grasso is all over the shop, providing pointers on every aspect of your project, from handle selection to swedge design. Monsour brings out knives that you will need a second mortgage to buy but then says "play with them and tell me what you think".

Mike Stewart provides the oversight and leadership that makes it all click. This guy is so "real" he blows me away. No BS, no nonsense, just a damn decent individual that truly cares for his craft, his family, his staff and us, his knife collecting extended family. And, he tells a story a minute that will keep you laughing until your sides hurt!!!

I really enjoyed my visit to Bark River, met some great guys and gals, reacquainted with some old friends, made three knives and partied like hell. Tough business to top that...Al

PS I am already anticipating next years event!!!

14. bigbob68

bigbob68 non poseur

I can't wait to see the pics and the finished knives. I'm so glad I talked Dabird into going before he crossed over.

15. annmarie

annmarie Little member Lady Devil

Awesome times in Escanaba!

Thanks so much for the great Grind In! Bob talked me into going but since I've never made a knife before I thought it would be more work than vacation. Happily I was totally wrong and I have a great knife to show for it. Many, many thanks to Mike and the crew for helping me with a kickass chef knife that cuts a tomato like a hot knife through butter. Shockingly I even won the best kitchen knife award! Everyone was incredibly helpful every step of the way and the crew was great about showing me how to use all the equipment. Hopefully we'll see everyone again in 2014!

16. Mike Stewart

Mike Stewart Knife Moderator/Bark River Knife & Tool

I am Humbled by the responses here.

The JD Rocks.

There are really no words to describe the weekend.

The Bark River and the Jerzee Devil Families have grown again. Lots of Great knives were made and we all laughed until our sides hurt.

I am blessed with a Great Crew and equally Blessed with my Brothers and Sisters from the JD.

I do agree that every year the knives get more innovative. We are Working on the Pictures and will get them up in the next few days.

I also have to personally thank everyone for the birthday party after supper on Saturday evening.

If I seemed a little quite for a few minutes there - it was because I never had about 85 of my best Friends and Family Sing me Happy Birthday. I was Touched and Moved. I have never been one to celebrate Birthdays but this one is one that I will remember and cherish forever.

This is the Greatest Family a Man could ever have.

Mike

ded i likes this.
  17. Mr.LaBella

Pictures.....

Ooooooooh!

:ropeman: That could be good, or it could be real bad! :jdwink2: :bwah:

Evidence and all, ya know!?

:manganr:

18. Lon Humphrey

Lon Humphrey Moderator Knife Maker or Craftsman

it was great seeing you all again i really do enjoy the time with all the devils

i have a ton of pics too nothing too incriminating :bwah:

19. Obijuan Kenobe

Obijuan Kenobe Our only hope! Brigade Member

Looks like it is time to get planting seeds for next year. Must be in September? No chance of August (school vacations over here)?

Sounds like another one to remember...maybe even the best one yet.

Way to go BRKT!!

obi

20. Mr.LaBella

We may need a separate thread for the knives, but post some pictures!

I am always glad to see you too, Pal. Always a good time! (thanks for all of your help and also for letting me get a JS Bowie at the Grind In)