1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Bali's-Need your opinion.

snache Jul 18, 2021

1. snache

snache Should be a custom title here

One of my primary objectives to coming on this forum was learning more about Bali's. I have been watching for threads on here and doing some reading/surfing online. I could use some help though. I am looking for information like: What is the best bali value, flipper, mega expensive one(if I win the lottery), USA vs others etc.. I know it is subjective but none the less I would appreciate your opinions.
    "My ignorance amuses me"(Sorry just picked up the 4K Editions).

RadDad87 likes this.
  2. TriChrome

TriChrome Little member

Are you looking to really get into learning and doing tricks? Or just appreciate what the knife is, the coolness factor, and are more concerned about looks, construction, high-end materials, etc. etc.? Do you plan on carrying it pretty regularly?

I ask the above because some of the most beautiful knives (either aesthetically beautiful, beautifully constructed, or even both) could be pretty bad flippers. Some of the most beautiful knives also aren't available in carry-friendly versions if that's important to you. Some of the carry-friendly versions haven't had their "optional" pocket clip in stock in YEARS (and sheaths, which fit all balisongs, can be extremely unfriendly to use, and/or be problematic for legal reasons).

What price point would you consider "value priced" (value priced to me is under $150ish... it's like $50 to many others...)? At what price would you consider to be 'mega expensive'? (I consider $350 to be 'regular price' in the balisong world for instance... that might be mega expensive to you as it is to my brother).

snache likes this.
  3. snache

Utility flipping, not really able to do the intricate flipping, however I am not above owning one that is above my expertise level. I come from an Aerospace background, so I try to collect all information on a subject and sift through it. My "value price" is $300 +/- $50. I appreciate your response.

4. TriChrome

TriChrome Little member

Does "utility" mean the easy ability to carry the knife without having to hook up a sheath to your belt every time, or clip a sheath inside a pocket rendering said pocket pretty much unusable because the sheaths on the market today are pretty massive (I use the smallest elastic sheath --WAY smaller than all the leather ones most people use-- inside my pocket, and I can JUST barely fit my hand alongside it to grab my car keys... and I wear size 40 jeans so my pockets are bigger than most peoples...). I.e. is a pocket clip a requirement for you?

Asking because a pocket clip is kinda a deal breaker on these knives, even through it's something I personally seek out. The super fancy ones don't have them and don't have latches either so you're stuck with a sheath if you want to carry it. The quasi-fancy ones in your price range (which I've still NEVER seen in stock in like ~4 months I've been stalking them, so you'll have to find on the secondary market), like the BRS Alpha Beast, BRS Replicant, or Hom Basilisk-R, DO have pocket clips in theory, but only the "premium" version of the BRS ones come with pocket clip, and you can NOT get the pocket clip separately from BRS (although it's listed on their website, it's unobtanium). Hom same thing - they don't seem to believe in restocking the pocket clip.

Anyway, if you can't tell my biggest gripes with these knives is how to EDC them since I don't like things clipped to my belt, and like to be able to use my front pockets... so the only option is a pocket clip in my eyes... which many people hate because it 'throws off the balance of the knife' (which at our skill level I don't think is something to worry about), plus they're SUPER hard to find.

If you care about easy carry (and that actually flip well) the only ones I can think of is the BRS Alpha Beast premium, or BRS Replicant premium which both come with clips on the premium versions. The clip sucks - it's not deep carry and is like 1/8" thin, but it'll clip to your pocket at least. The Replicant flips better to my hands, but the full fitanium on the Alpha Beast (AB) is cool (except for the finish which you will get snail trails in a few days even babying it, especially around the latch area). Retail is like $300 for Rep, $420 for Alpha Beast. People try to rape the prices on the premium ones since those can come in cool colors, FYI, but that's what like KnifeCenter and BladeHq sold them for.

If you don't mind a 3+ month wait from Russia, no easy way to return if there's an issue, there's a company called Atropos who puts out some nice knives, and he'll add a pocket clip for like $20. under $280 all said and done for the nicer models. Cheaper G10 ones for less. I think they're a bit clunky looking though, but I've never handles one in person.

If you want something smaller that's very EDC friendly, but it WILL suffer in the flipping department because of the weight and size, if you find a good deal on a used Benchmade 51 those have a pocket clip, and a latch that springs open which is very nice. Just too light and small for me. They're still making these actually, but retail is like $297 and it's VERY old technology (they run on oldschool washers... not bushings or bearings).

If you don't care about a clip, I think the Hom Basilisk-R knives are BEAUTIFUL. I liked the G10 version so much I bought a full titanium handled version. If you're going to beat on it the thin tip isn't going to work for you, but it's a thing of beauty otherwise. Been going for as low as $375 lately in G10, $400 for Titanium.

The Benchmade 87 and 85's have no clip (not even screws you could jury-rig a clip onto), but I find the channel titanium CNC'd from a single piece to be BEAUTIFUL (these come with those thin-type elastic sheaths I was talking about too fyi). 'Pro' flippers (i.e. kids in high school to college with no seemingly endless time to practice flipping all day lol) don't like how they flip, so they go for pennies on the dollar on the secondary market (MSRP is like $670 on the BM85, seen them as low as $400, even lower for the 87 pretty regularly).

If you don't care about a clip OR a latch, the world will open up to a TON more models fyi... I just put my focus on both a latch AND clip (where possible... it's hard like I said), so I don't have any experience in these types of models although I can recommend a few popular ones to look at if you want (just let me know).

So the above is my newbie bible for you lol. I've bought like ~15 balisongs this year (the first since I was like 16 years old...) to see what I like and the above models are some of the ones I liked the best (and sold, traded, or returned the rest). Just be careful if you buy on the secondary market - lots of jacked-up ones, lots of clones/fakes, lots of QC issues with mainline manufacturers on these for some odd reason too (for instance I've NEVER had to return a folding knife in my life... and I've already returned or sent back like 5 balisongs so far... and the reasons were pretty blatant, not nit-picking).

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    snache likes this.
  5. snache

Excellent, more than I expected, really appreciate you taking the time. I am in agreement on the latch/clip, although I won't completely rule out picking one up(sans clip/latch) under the right circumstances.

TriChrome likes this.
  6. Shawnjohn999999

Shawnjohn999999 Huge Member

ELB 3v.

snache likes this.
  7. ninjastar

ninjastar Little member JDBA Official Member

I find latch more disruptive than clip and always take it off. At your price range, most recommend BRS AB, Replicant, or HOM Basilisk. I prefer the AB (kukri > standard, don’t get Bowie grind)

Chab (channel ab) for a little more is even nicer and flips 98% as well. At that price range Maryn and Sentinel are highly recommended. Above that range, it’s all preference (I like EX10, BM47, Orca, Balibalistic, Fat Lady, Palethius)

snache likes this.
  8. TriChrome

TriChrome Little member

Problem with the Channel Alpha Beast (Chab), the regular Alpha Beast (AB), and the Replicant is that latch. A latch (plus pocket clip) in my eyes is a must for EDC - so if you don't agree with that (or are a fan of HUGE bulky sheaths) just stop reading my post right now lol... Some people carry latchless but WITH the pocket clip then wedge the knife against the side of their pocket holding the handles together... but this is NOT foolproof and you CAN still stab yourself by accident (ask me how I know... ;)

The BRS latch is horrible on their higher end models. Their priciest model, the Chab, literally has a single screw holding the latch on (AB is exactly like this too). Yes, the latch is literally going round and round on the bare sharp(ish) threads of an (undersized) screw and nothing else. It also flops around utterly crazy making noise - tolerances in that latch area evidentially don't matter as the latch is WAY undersized to the Ti handle cut-out. This makes the knife unflippable with a latch even for casual user like me (and for how the OP describes himself as well). BRS was so cheap, and/or lazy, they didn't even put a barrel/sleeve over the screw like Hom does, nor does it have washers (a la a bushing setup almost) around the latch like even chinese made knives like the Maxace has. It's horrible. FYI the BRS Rep is a little better in that it uses a pin and not a bare screw, but it still flops around like crazy.

Benchmade, although I do NOT like the reliability of their 87/85 magnetic latches, traditionally has the best latch systems, bar none. I'm talking about the spring loaded ones - they're amazing.

Hom I've come to love too. The latch is actually a beautiful (aesthetic) design, and it's on a barrel which has tight(er) tolerances, and the handle is WAY closer around the latch which minimizes that flop and rattle which drives many people mad. It's not silent, just a TON more bearable than the BRS ones for example IMO. And this is [/end rant] on latches lol. (sorry, hope this helps some people decide... and yes, I'm long winded lol)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    snache and Shawnjohn999999 like this.