1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Bali Price Guide?

Andy T Jul 6, 2014

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nman729

nman729 Average member

Its a slow and interesting process, but I'm learning how things work around here! LOL:ross:

I understand some people are here to make a quick dollar. I have seen that with other online communities (computer parts, firearms, other types of knives...). There will always be those types, if you don't like them then just don't buy from them. Its the same concept as the .22 ammo gougers (for those who are into firearms), ask the price and if its ridiculously too high, ignore them and hope that others do the same.

Just my 0.2

gfckyrslf likes this.
  2. gfckyrslf

gfckyrslf JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

You could get a herd of hookers for what a 47 is going for these days :jdwink2:

Wait is it a herd or a gaggle?:bwah::bwah:

3. elusiveweasle

elusiveweasle Brigade Member Brigade Member

I think I've taken a loss on every knife I've sold here on the JD, but I don't really care. I buy shit that I like and when I get bored with it I pass it on to someone else and go buy something new.
    Knife collecting is just a hobby. To me it would become very unenjoyable if I was constantly worrying about resale value or purchase price.
    I'm at a point in life where I can buy things that I like as well as the things that I need. This wasn't always the case. Back in tighter times I didn't have expensive knives. I bought what I could when I could and enjoyed my knife collecting hobby every bit as much as I do now.
    Honestly, this thread has gone way off the charts for foolishness. Every buyer out there should be responsible for doing their own research into the values of the things they are looking to buy as well as managing their own finances.

4. Masharp81

Masharp81 Angelus Mortis JDBA Official Member

What do you mean, "you people"!? Just kidding bro.. Welcome to THE MIGHTY JD.

And as far as having a price guide, I understand some points being made by those on both sides of the argument. In a way, I feel like this guide wasn't around to help me out when I was getting started.. So why should we hand all this info out to the noobs who could easily find out this information with some research. But on the other hand, I don't really see a good reason against it either. What's the harm in sharing what balis are going for ON THE AVERAGE? Obviously, just because a bali usually sells for X amount, doesn't mean that a seller can't ask for more. And even though I'm not green to balis anymore, I could foresee a guide like this being useful to me as well. The only reason I can think of for being steadfast against it, is if you're afraid that you won't be able to make as much cash on a sale as you could if the buyer didn't have access to this info.

5. deadpool

deadpool merc with the mouth

I just intended to raise awareness of sellers being cunts. That is all. You are allowed to be a cunt, and I am allowed to call you a cunt. Buyers can also be cunts, because they pay full asking (cunt) prices and magically make a $200 knife into a $600 knife over night, because they were both, you know, cunts...

6. Ryanol

Ryanol SnarkMasterFunkyFresh JDBA Official Member

Why make a price guide?

How else am I going to power my balisong backed index fund.

7. colpolite

colpolite Average member

Price Guide or whatever price i put it up and how much any sucker would pay for it if he/she wants it that bad?

THEONEANDONLY likes this.
  8. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

OK i propose all those in favor of a price guide to get on it so the rest of us sneaky bastards can get a good night sleep
    you want a guide ?make it happen what`s keeping you? want someone else do the work for you...ain`t happening there`s no freebies on the JD...you know what ,
    on a second thought, i`ll start a price guide thread, here you go:
    http://www.jerzeedevil.com/forums/s...BM-Balisong-Price-guide?p=1628889#post1628889

Masharp81 likes this.
  9. Masharp81

Anthony, I don't think the people that are here to sell knives for a living or profit would be taken advantage of. There is nothing wrong with a small markup on a knife to make a little profit. But most of these sellers either buy knives in bulk, or have connections where they are scoring the knives cheaper than market value. That is what their profit should be based upon. Not by taking advantage of a buyer just because they were unaware of what a fair market value for the knife was. I don't think that this idea was brought up in the hopes that nobody would ever be able to make a profit on a knife ever again. And of course this is a fluctuating market. But I think if you could look at a "Guide" like this, you could look at an asking price and say either a) "It's a little above average, and could be a market fluctuation." or b) "This guy is trying to thrust it in me without even offering a reach around."

Most of the sellers here that sell knives to make money are fair, and I would absolutely have no problem paying a little over market value if I knew it was helping to put food on their table.. But even though I have no dog in the fight, it still irks me a little when the BladeVag's of the world ask hundreds more than a knife is worth, and get it because the buyer was ignorant as to what a "fair" price was. Even if "fair" includes a little "handling fee" because the seller does this for a source of income.

And I'm not sure I understand how the deal spotter thread is responsible for the recent price increase in balisongs?

10. Ryanol

It isn't but it made scoring "deals" that much harder.

11. Masharp81

Ok, now that I can agree with :manganr: ... Thanks for the clarification :madaddy:

12. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

First, after reading my posts (or most of them) I realize I sound like a prick. Not intended...just how I talk. In person, it doesn't come off so prickish LOL.

The following scenario is all true and happened multiple times with the deal spotting thread. I'm just using one instance as an example.

1. BM47 was listed for $450. Because of the deal spotting thread it sold within a minute of it being posted with multiple people posting "seconds", "thirds", etc.

2. Seller realized he could get more for it because of all the people jumping on it so quickly.

3. Buyers realized they had to be quicker in order to beat others to it.

4. Same seller posts another BM47 a few weeks later for $500...exact same thing happen. Sold quickly with lots of responses.

5. Seller sold another one at $700 about a month later.

6. Now buyers are buying a knife that is way over priced because they are in a "buy first ask questions later" mode. If they don't jump on it somebody else will.

7. Other sellers are seeing this happen and follow the leader.

***Fact...the Deal Spotter Thread did more damage than good (and most people didn't even realize it because they don't follow the sales trends and how it happened)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2014
    Masharp81 and jjhamilton like this.
  13. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

wow, you really are a smart Asian :unintroduced:...nobody else see that one coming....
    my hat is of to you mate!

14. Ryanol

First off I can't remember but mba?

Now I've got just a run of the mill bachelors but I know in my low level consumer behavior classes we discussed correlation without causation.

15. Masharp81

Touche` ... I can easily understand how it makes it harder to score deals. But I honestly didn't even consider the scenario you just laid out. Fuckin deal spotter thread.. Who knew.

I don't think you're a prick, Anthony.. Like I said before, I like you. I am not trying to be a prick either if I disagree with you. I've agreed with plenty of your posts, but if I don't I'll let you know about it :jdwink2:.. Also, when I do disagree I'm not always right, (in fact I'm probably wrong more often than not) but I promise I always think I am at the time of my post :manganr:

16. silkworm

silkworm Silky Devil JDBA Official Member

Is it OK for a Devil to score a "deal" off an ignorant seller? Should't we all be informing him that he could get more money for his knife?

Just wondering...

17. jjhamilton

jjhamilton JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

:fixed:

18. jjhamilton

jjhamilton JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

No...I don't go to buy a used car and say...damn bro, you want $3k less that the guy next door with better options, let me pay more!!

19. Ryanol

I certainly couldn't answer that - the last knife I biught here was a spyderfly from thegoodedge.

Ill go out on a limb and say isn't very "ignorant" of a seller.

Now for the non snarky answer.

Isn't that exactly what the voodoo here and markets on other forums do?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2014
  20. 13jasoN

13jasoN JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Unfortunately if you're looking for a certain knife, and if you follow the voodoo, you know how quickly they will sell. As a buyer you're making a snap decision to secure a knife, despite knowing you're overpaying.

That AB that was accidentally listed here in the JDBA was solid before the guy had his thread moved. (Not intending to say he was price gouging, very reasonable price) but more as a reference as to how quickly things sell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.