1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Bali Price Guide?

Andy T Jul 6, 2014

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy T

Andy T Gentle Giant JDBA Official Member

In "another" thread OwlMan wisely stated: "If only there was some kind of official price guide"

I think this is an awesome idea albeit a big undertaking. This would be purely for educational purposes and would not be a "rule book", kind of like the Kelly Blue Book value for autos/trucks.

Maybe this is a little different as autos depreciate the moment they leave the lot, but those deemed collectable rise back up in price, just like some of the Balis we see sold here on a daily basis.

What do you think?

2. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

I think AnthonyInTheAss already has all this plotted already, past , and projected for the next 10 years or so . :bwah:

Seriously though I think it was talked about once, even purposed to be some sort of Google DOC that could be edited by all.

Not sure where that thread is, my JD search powers are weak ATM. Off for a fresh pot of Java. :devilwag:

3. G-man

G-man JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Yes

Yes... There should be. Possibly even sticky it might help with all these "What is my Bali Worth?" posts.

4. jamex

jamex Organic Polygraph JDBA Official Member

I know there is a devil thats been doing this homework for a while. Its not my place to out him but I think he's been waiting for a reckoning such as this. :ropeman:

...the same guy I've relied upon when fuckers put SPF in their thread like true pussies :devilfinger:

(pre-emptive)....dont like getting all those extra PMs filling up your mailbox wondering if its still for sale? tell me. i'll buy you more space. you're as much to blame as anyone else for convoluting the resale economy.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2014
  5. ls1mtz

ls1mtz JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Lmao, have ATA forward you the spreadsheet!

6. silkworm

silkworm Silky Devil JDBA Official Member

Too many variables....

Anyone who has ever bought or sold a house would understand this. You can have comparable properties for a seller to base his pricing on but that doesn't hold much water when the bids come in. Ultimately, a buyers offer is either accepted or rejected by the owner. If rejected, the buyer can always shop for another house down the street.

We should be careful about limiting what profit we can make from our private property, less someone does that to you when it comes time for you to sell.

You want knowledge, seek it - ask questions if you have to. Send PMs and emails to guys who recently sold knives like the one you want so sell or buy and you'll get a better idea of what it's really worth at that moment. Leaving prices up on past sales or creating a pricing guide doesn't really reflect what a knife would sell for or what a particular knife did sell for.

I really don't see why the balisong forum has so many problems from pricing and sales and why it causes so much anger. If you don't like a price, negotiate. If the seller will not negotiate, buy elsewhere. If you find yourself priced out of the market your only options are to make more money, save more money, or buy something else. We don't always get what we want - that's life.

Jimdo, pcguy23, Masharp81 and 3 others like this.
  7. bumgilligan

bumgilligan JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

True.

I would love a Ducati, but I'll settle with a kawasaki for a third the price.

8. Andy T

I've bought and sold houses. I live in one of the houses I bought...not sure what that has to do with anything...the real estate market fluctuates just like every other but with real estate you have appraisals....an educated proposition if what the house/lot is worth. Balis don't have that. Remember I said "worth"...not what one would pay.

No one is mentioning limiting what potential profit a seller could make...you obviously didn't read the original post.

The whole point is to provide an educational resource....that's it. I had someone pm me the other day that thought the retail price for a Tempest was $1500. It's just about providing people with an educated base, nothing more. Desire to have will always control sale price, but going in with both eyes open is good for buyer and seller.

Your last two sentences are 100% condescending, and pretty much BS with regards to the original post.

9. bobbylee

bobbylee JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I do not know the retail value for a lot balis. Like a terry guinns, balibalitcs, and mcahrons. I think this will be helpful if there was a guide or something like that.

:devilfinger:

BUT, who the fuck am I?

THEONEANDONLY and Andy T like this.
  10. Ryanol

Ryanol SnarkMasterFunkyFresh JDBA Official Member

Knowledge is power and transparency has a tendency to limit fuckery.

Do it.

I built a real quick form but it was still manually edited.

Prolly would want to look into scrape and parse if you were looking to scale.

Andy T likes this.
  11. Mpsecare

Mpsecare Owl Man

If a universally accepted, accessible price guide existed, I could see it being beneficial to a lot of people, and extremely aggravating to others looking to make money.

:owl:
    back to the forest *whooosh*

Mr.LaBella likes this.
  12. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

F*ck the both of you lol.

***I agree with Silk...I don't see Papercut, Tone, GEdge, ect. ever complain about pricing

13. Andy T

IMO no one is complaining about pricing....if anything people are complaining about a lack of knowledge.

There is a noted price concerning gold per ounce. Doesn't mean we can't pay more...OR...less. The price is market value, it's a reference, that's all.

I have paid more than retail/secondary and was VERY glad to do it...but I knew the numbers I was dealing with.

I've never complained about a price I paid. Never. I am merely saying that if there was a "ballpark" reference than guys would know what they were doing.

IMO the biggest problem isn't overpaying but getting the opportunity to do so.:manganr: Again, this isn't an issue with sellers or buyers...just think it's a real good idea to educate people as to ballpark prices and let them go from there.

There are a couple of Balis that I am ready to overpay for...but. I know I'm doing it vs thinking I'm paying retail.

deadpool likes this.
  14. Ryanol

Ryanol SnarkMasterFunkyFresh JDBA Official Member

For the record the reason I stopped updating my spreadsheet is I remembered my youth and the havoc that Becketts brought to the market. Anybody want to buy a Ken griffey upper deck rookie card?

15. deadpool

deadpool merc with the mouth

For Devils by Devils. You want to fuck a guy over... Craig'slist/armslist that shit! Free country and all but I had no intention of mandating Bali prices, just hoping that people would STOP PAYING INFLATED PRICES,drive the market down by telling these guys what too much is. The shitty thing about that is that people will keep buying this shit at whatever price, you can't fix stupid.

Masharp81 likes this.
  16. OnceBitten

OnceBitten Momma said I'd go blind Brigade Member

100% Tard Post

17. twirl

twirl Hom Designs JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

You also can't tell people how to spend their money. For anything. People pay tons of money for all sorts of things that other people think is stupid. It's all relative.

The market is a funny thing. It is not decided by a certain individual or corporation, it just.. is. I've been on both sides of the fence, and can still remember when I had tons of product for a cheap price and very little interest.

Jimdo likes this.
  18. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

[video=youtube;fIQPkCR4E6k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIQPkCR4E6k[/video]

19. bobbylee

bobbylee JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

People are gouging and new/newer people like me and I don't even know it. What is a fair price? What I paid fo fair or inflated? Is a bm47 at $800 inflated or fair market value? Or $800 for a terry guinn inflated if the buyer paid $500? What is the going rate for balis?

20. deadpool

deadpool merc with the mouth

I agree with you 100%. I cannot tell people what to do with their money, and likewiseiIhave the choice to buy or not buy at whatever price people ask. I do have issues with taking advantage of people, any time. Taking advantage of inexperience, lack of knowledge, or desperation are shitty ways to make money. Yes, you can do it, and people often do. I recently sold my PAB 2.0 to a fellow Devil, I did not even want to sell it, but did because he is my brother. He INSISTED on paying me full market price for a NIB knife and I refused.

While I could have taken advantage, and asked above market price for it because of his desperation for an AB ( he lost his ) but I instead demanded he pay me only the cost of a Replicant, for this is where his money was going to go.

I believed Devils help Devils here. I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't make some money, but buying several Tempests with the intention of selling them for double profit is just insulting to our brothers here. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. I take care of my own, lead by example.

Andy T likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.