1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Bali buying advice

MTXCraze Dec 2, 2012

1. MTXCraze

MTXCraze I flip therefore I am JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

So my cheapo $30 Bear and sons bali finally broke. i was looking for some advice before i buy something new.
    I'm fairly new to flipping. im still working on smoothing out some staple move's like behind the 8 ball and similar stuff.

So here is my issue. I am ready to upgrade to something better. i was looking at the Badley Kimura. my only problem is that its the same handle length and weight as the the bear and sons and i would like something with slightly longer handles. Soo i was going to bite the bullet and buy something like the AB or the Tachyon II

My question to everyone is, someone like myself who is fairly new to flipping, would i be happy with the Kimura despite my issue with the handle length or should i go big or go home and get the AB or something of equal quality.

Any advice would be great. money is tight but i would like to get something i can enjoy for a lifetime.

THEONEANDONLY likes this.
  2. Luke Enas

Luke Enas JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

spend some time looking in the for sale section and get a used Kuma?

3. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

you need to decide if you like flipping or not first... allot of people are really good with their kimuras...on the other hand there is the saying buy once cry once....:manganr:

4. worthless

worthless worthless? Nah!

I've never been a fan of how the Kimura flips. That is my personal opinion and not everyone shares it. For around the same price, the BearOps B200 has longer handles and is better balanced... however, the quality control can be hit or miss, and I wouldn't expect one to last forever.

Moving up from there is the benchmade 51. I like them, they flip well, they are well constructed, they can take a beating. They are REALLY light though, and as such don't lend themselves well to moves that benefit from knife momentum. But, you can find them new for as low as $165 or so, so they make a decent mid-range knife for more casual flippers. Hell, even some of the best flippers still prefer 51s, the light weight is great for fast twirls and power aerials.

If you are serious about flipping and think you will be sticking with it, I'd save up for a Tach 2 or Alpha Beast. These are two of the best flippers ever made and are both relatively cheap compared to the best flippers of last year. Both are well built, with titanium handles and good blade steels. Both are well balanced and have long handles. To me, the AB feels a little better balanced, while the Tach 2 has slightly better tolerances and smoother pivots. Which one is better is totally subjective, I like them both. You have two hands, buy one of each!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2012
  5. Mpsecare

Mpsecare Owl Man

save up for the beast man you already know how it flips :manganr:

6. MTXCraze

I do enjoy flipping and its something i can see myself doing for a long time weather it be casual or learning some serious stuff. I also like quality when i comes to buying something.

I have briefly flipped MPsecare's AlphaBeast and liked it. but i have also never really heard anything bad about a kimura but have never flipped one. but if can get the same results out of a cheaper knife (kimura) that would be great.

Im just not sure if i deserve the AB yet as a novice flipper

thanks for the reply's

7. MTXCraze

Your probably right. i already spent 80 bucks on 2 crappyish knives when i should have just gotten the kimura. Looks like ill be spoiling myself soon with an AB. :manganr:

as for the 51 ive tried that too. it is pretty lite although i did like how it flipped. it will be on my list but more for an edc knife

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2012
  8. Andy T

Andy T Gentle Giant JDBA Official Member

I have a Kimura, I like it, and I'll keep it. It flips blade heavy. It can not be compared to the AB. The AB carries a lot of momentum and the Kimura does not. That doesn't mean you can't flip it well, lots of guys do.

But if you are looking for feel, and you have felt the AB, the Kimura will feel nothing like it.

You just need to decide is price a deal breaker. If you can save for the AB, then you will not be disappointed in it's flipability. IMO if you are buying a flipper, the AB is worth the money.

9. forbes617

forbes617 Huge member

Try to hunt down a 42 if you can find it priced reasonably. Not the most original suggestion, but I truly believe you cannot beat it. I Love the weight and feel.

If I could take a used 42 or new tachyon 2, I think it would be the benchmade.

10. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

how about B400?

11. MTXCraze

Oh decisions decisions. A 42 would be nice too. It was the original knife that made me fall in love with balisongs.

12. Andy T

Andy T Gentle Giant JDBA Official Member

Some of this is moot, because you will never just buy one...you just have to decide what you want to buy first.

13. jjhamilton

jjhamilton JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

^^The truth^^ you will buy others if you stay with it.....and you can do the same moves with any most any Bali...but the better flipper you buy the less you'll need to upgrade as your skill level climbs

14. sirhorsechoker

sirhorsechoker cheapskate balifag fliptard

If your really down like talking about, goes balls out and get the alpha beast. If money is an issue the tach is great too!

If you go half ass and get a kimmy, youll still eventually need a ti bali.

So itd kinda save money and go straight to the titanium.

15. jjhamilton

jjhamilton JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

^^^More truth^^^ and with one of the higher end flippers "if" you lose interest resale will be a snap ( if your price accordingly):thumbsup:

16. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

Since you have issues with the Kimura handle length lets just scratch that off the list.

1. If you are trying to decide if flipping is for you...BM51
    2. If you are pretty sure it is something you want to pursue...TachII
    3. If you are positive flipping is something you want to do...Alpha Beast

It's that simple.

17. Mystik

Mystik That's no ordinary rabbit! JDBA Official Member

THIS. ^

I would give the exact same recommendations. These are your best values given the current availability of balisongs out there in production right now.

You really can't go wrong with any of them, especially with the high quality of these blades.

18. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

Buy one of each.

Glad to be of assistance. :thumbsup:

19. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Oh, O.K! Maybe I can help you out then... the Kimura's are mud for flipping.

Short weird shaped handles, ugly blade profiles, blade heavy, stupid little barrel spacers (just ask Silent Jay about barrel spacers, he knows all about them :bwah:) and a crappy t-latch.

The only good thing the Kimura has going for it is that its cheap, built like a tank and tolerances are tight. If you're just interested in doing some basic stuff, like the look and not too concerned about getting good at flipping, then the Kimura is an option.

B200 is a good flipper but may not last and quality control is an issue.

BM51 is a good flipper but is a bit on the light side, although if you decide you don't like it, you'l probably be able to get most of you money back in re sale.

Tach2 is a really good flipper, although the latch is awful. Really good value for money and if you don't like it you can probably get most of your money back in re sale.

Alpha Beast is a better flipper than the Tach2, better fit and finish and if you don't like it you could probably get more than what you paid in re sale.

20. elusiveweasle

elusiveweasle Brigade Member Brigade Member

Gonna have to say go with a 51. We all know the OP is not going to stop at just one bali. Like the rest of us he will probably end up buying most if not all of the ones suggested. Start with the 51. Good flipper, reasonable cost, not a bad EDC. Than go from there.