1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

auto for around salt water?

edosmar Jan 31, 2014

1. edosmar

edosmar Average member

Moved to south Florida and am spending more time in and around salt water, is there any knives that don't rust in salt water?

2. itadakimasu

itadakimasu There are no kangaroos in Austria! JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Aparently the "Navy Seals" Scarab, has different internals than the normal ones, which should be more corrosion resistant. Anyway I would not use an auto under those conditions, unless you want to open it everytime and clean it.

3. 321sold.biz

321sold.biz Better than gold or platinum

I know spyderco has a H1 alloy knife , not sure if they make an auto but it apparently won't rust. Plenty of youtube vids on it...might be worth checkin out.

Rio likes this.
  4. itadakimasu

itadakimasu There are no kangaroos in Austria! JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Yes, in fact they offer a wide variety of H1 knives.
    http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/list.php?category=4

I think you will be much more happy with that instead of an OTF.

5. corjzg

corjzg Hittin' Switches

see quote #1 below
    :manganr:

6. corjzg

corjzg Hittin' Switches

& to add something meaningful to my prev post, OTFs are probably not the way to go (as mentioned). The saltwater will corrode the springs/firing mechanism/etc. You could go with a coil-fired side-opener tho. I used my Dalton Scale Release (think it was alum scales w/satin finish ATS-34) for a long time in the Atlantic. After a couple of years (of only swimming in summertime) the blade started to show rust pitting, and I think the salt water did it. Obv you don't want a carbon bladed piece (& most production pieces are s/s). I think a bead blasted finish (or some sort of duracoat-type shit) would be better for long-term use. Maybe a Benchmade or Protech with a black/DLC coated blade would work as well? I'd search a few forums to see what people have found to work for manual openers (blade-wise) & just apply that to the automatic side openers that are on the market right now.

Let us know down the road what you go with & how it works out!

7. edosmar

edosmar Average member

I am thinking of getting a Spyderco Pacific but thought I would ask if there was an auto for use around salt water. Didn't know if Spyderco made one or not and thought this was the place to ask.

8. Brian_W204

Brian_W204 Enormous member

H1 is supposed to be very resistant to salt water, but it doesn't hold an edge all that well. I read somewhere (in some marketing propaganda no doubt), that H1 survived in sea water for over 1 year without rusting.

Spyderco showed a new side-opening automatic with H1 steel at the 2012 Blade Show. It is called the Autonomy. The production version hasn't been released yet, but Spyderco recently confirmed it is still coming.

9. sickboy

sickboy Marsupial Brigade Member

I would think that the blade rusting isn't the problem, its the springs and little pieces that are the problem. I would guess those pieces are hard to make in something like H1, and would hold water more than a manual folding mechanism, not to mention an auto OR an off....

sickboy

10. gzb

gzb SUPER Moderator* Super Moderator

This is the issue.

I've seen an Old School (2003) Scarab disassembled that was in saltwater. After barely getting the rusted screws out, the springs looked like fuzzy red caterpillars and the knife was virtually frozen w/rust...

11. Stabber

Stabber Stabber's Steel Connection Knife Maker or Craftsman

And on the 8th day, God created oil :D

12. EOD13

EOD13 Balisong Addict JDBA Official Member

Might be a bit off topic but why do you specifically need an auto in and around salt water? What sort of high speed things will you be doing that require an auto for this purpose instead of something more practical like a fixed blade or folder?

13. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Badassery is a +5 in salt water!:thumbsup:

I'd pick up a kalashikov, or two and abuse the fuck out of it:ross:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2014
  14. DBIII

DBIII Little member

^^^ This!