1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Austin's Bowie-in progress pix

J. Neilson Jun 28, 2010

1. J. Neilson

J. Neilson Caught in the Mosh Knife Maker or Craftsman

One of our Devilz placed an order for a 11" bladed 52100 ball-bearing damascus S-guard Bowie and asked for a few "in progress" pix... I thought I'd share them around.

The canister started out at 3" square by about 5" long...
    [​IMG]

Here is the billet freed from it's low carbon can, doesn't that White Out stuff work great...
    [​IMG]

Drawing the billet down to a workable, knife-like size...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's the blade so far, forged to shape... it's looking like a knife...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the blade rough ground and after it's themal cycles...
    [​IMG]

A few days in white vinegar and a lot of steel brushing to get the scale off but, leave the forge finish on the flats...
    [​IMG]

Prepping the handle material which is a burlap Micarta that's more tans than greens. Butch Harner made this very nice block for me...
    [​IMG]

OK, she's finish ground and now to complete the hand-rubbed finish...
    [​IMG]

Now to do some figuring, nothing I ever do is written in stone but, I like to plan a few things out...
    [​IMG]

My personal touch...
    [​IMG]

Time to start the S-guard forged from European wrought iron...
    [​IMG]

Shaping the "S"...
    [​IMG]

After shaping/grinding, checking the fit. Nice and tight, in-line with the blade and tang. Enough of a gap on top and bottom to have a bit of epoxy fill the gaps for extra strength...
    [​IMG]

Long S-guard fitted to the blade, now to remove and etch. After that, I'll add more pix...
    [​IMG]

BennytheBlade likes this.
  2. anthonyca1

anthonyca1 Little member

Great looking blade. Thanks for sharing the photos and process. Very cool!

-Anthony

3. aus71383

aus71383 Huge member

Wow!

I have always loved in progress pictures, but when its my own knife its at least ten times better. Thanks for taking the time to put up the pictures J - very exciting to see it coming together. I can't wait to cut something with it!

Austin

4. unreconstructedgordo

unreconstructedgordo Level: True Devil

The 11" is perfect for a Bowie IMHO. Your burlap green Micarta block handle is friggin awesome. I likie S guards on a big Bowie . The Ball Bearingg Damascus is beyond killer!
    Here is an 11" S guard with Green Micarta Stephan Fowler made me last year. It is light and fast.
    [​IMG]

5. Lrshot

Lrshot Patriotic Devil

Thanks for showing us how you craft them .

6. aus71383

aus71383 Huge member

Thanks again for the pictures J....are there any more? Can't wait to hold it. I haven't called Paul Long yet - I figured I'd wait til the weekend.

Austin

7. Leatherface

Leatherface leatherface Knife Maker or Craftsman

woohoo

cant wait!

more more more!

8. J. Neilson

Here are shots of the completed "long" S-guard, etched and set to the blade...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the handle rough shaped out and starting the crazy glue finish...

[​IMG]

... almost there.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2010
  9. aus71383

aus71383 Huge member

Wow J! That's looking beautiful. Does it balance right already or will you be adding that wrought iron pommel? The blade and guard look amazing!

Austin

10. J. Neilson

I think I'll be leaving the pommel off this one. It would look good but, I think the long iron guard and the tang ending about 1/2" from the end of the handle will balance her quite well. Adding too much weight would end up making her too heavy and also loose some of the "Umph" on her swings. The large handle is adding to a bit of "back-end" weight, too. Since you described yourself a one of our "large-handed" individuals.

11. aus71383

aus71383 Huge member

Sounds good to me - you're the expert. Its really looking beautiful if I hadn't mentioned that already. I think I better send you some mail pretty soon and I'll probably call Paul Long tomorrow about the sheath.

Austin

12. GODDESS OF VENGEANCE

GODDESS OF VENGEANCE Crazy Bitch Lady Devil Super Moderator

:devilzeek Lookin Sharp J.:devil1:

I gotta tell ya...that avatar is funny as hell...but, just not right!:bwah::ross::bwah:

:ross: Poor Ron...Always being picked on! :heart:

:GOV:

13. RoyalM

RoyalM Commando Devil Super Moderator Brigade Member

Great looking piece J.

14. J. Neilson

OK, she's actually done but, I haven't loaded the completed pix yet. Here are shots of the final setting of the handle. She's set with a 1/4" stainless pin and the tang ends (in the handle) about 1/2" from the end. Austin left me my choice on spacers and such so I used a throat of stabilized Buffalo Horn and a tan spacer between that and the Burlap/Rag Micarta. I love the way this stuff looks (Butchie always does a great job). From the top, it looks like snake-skin...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. aus71383

aus71383 Huge member

Wow J - looks great! Can't wait to see the completed pictures. I sent an email to Paul Long about the sheath - we'll figure it out one way or another. How did the balance end up? Hurry up and upload those pictures! :devil1:

Austin

16. J. Neilson

She balances out beautifully, just in front of the guard. I'll get cracking as soon as the kids give me a few spare minutes.
    :madaddy:

17. 2fulhundin

2fulhundin Official Retard

awesome job J.

So is there pics of your razor?

18. J. Neilson

Oh, jeez! How'd that get out? I can post a pic of my first one, I'm planning on doing a couple this month.

19. J. Neilson

Sorry my pix aren't the best, they get tougher to do the larger a piece gets but, here she is. I stippled and etched the steel pin to match up the rest of this beast!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2fulhundin likes this.
  20. aus71383

aus71383 Huge member

Looks great J - I talked with Paul Long on the phone today about the sheath - he said the knife would be there in an hour. You sure can move fast! Looking forward to holding it and taking some pictures of my own in the near future - thanks for putting the pictures up!

Austin