1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Atropos Demon Bali??? 150$ Ti Channel??????

Vampill Apr 9, 2017

1. Lapedog

Lapedog Little member

Guys I don't know if you are awarenof this but alot of the high end Russian knife companies such as Shirogorov or CKF are only assembling their knives in Russia. The actual production of the knives is done in China.

The parts are all being manufactured in China. This isn't a knock on the quality at all as clearly the companies listed above do amazing things when it comes to making a quality knife. Clearly the Russiansnhave sourced some amazing factories in China.

While I am 100% unaware of what is going on with this bali company I believe this may be a viable answer as to why these balis are being offered for the price they are.

begreen61, flatblackcapo and nostimos like this.
  2. Ryanol

Ryanol SnarkMasterFunkyFresh JDBA Official Member

maybe. To me it looks more like he's able to cut some costs by taking round bar stock, knocking off the round with a surface grinder or mill and giving them hell.

Lapedog and nostimos like this.
  3. Silent Jay

Silent Jay Flips more than he speaks JDBA Official Member

The key to that is to fix the sloppy tolerances from the factories with hand finishing.

That is why CKF charges $1000+ for a midtech that was manufactured in China. But, the "clones" without the finish work done in china but all the same materials, dimensions, ect, are only bout $50-60.

However, it is a strong possibility they are made in china and assembled in Russia for these as well, but from a dude who is charging a manageable price for his work. If that were the case though, it won't be long before the factory fucks him over and you see "clones" in the usual places all coming from the place they are made already anyway.

That all being said, I haven't actually gotten to handle one of these myself to be able to speak on the quality and such things,

4. nostimos

nostimos JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Well said Silent Jay.
    And just before I was gonna say the Russians must have a better or longer running relationship with china factories, and hoard the best ones for themselves, you hit us with a dose of reality. . .
    The eventual "china clone syndrome".

let us know when you handle one of these.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  5. Pockocmoc

Pockocmoc Little member JDBA Official Member

Let me tell you my thoughts on this "Demon".

You can find the full review on the french bali forum here : http://frenchbaliconnexion.free.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=786&p=16779

> It flips ok, not as good as my Rep, or AB. But it is definitely flippable, I'd rather flip the Demon than the 51, for example...

> Handles are dark and mat, and the finish is excellent. Not a single scratch.

[​IMG]

> The blade is also really beautiful, you can feel it is handmade, but still can't find scratches, or any kind of asymetrical grind. And man this blade is sharp!
    ...made a little GIF for you guys :

[​IMG]

> It features bushings, wich is great... but the rest of the hardware is a little bit... shitty as fuck! Pivots have allen heads, and look fragile. Plus, the washers are not fitting properly, they are too thin, wich obviously leads to some handle play.

[​IMG]

Anyway... easy to fix.

Size comparison :

[​IMG]

And a family photo :bali::

[​IMG]

I love it!

Pock'

6. thegoodedge

thegoodedge Pacific Edge Cutlery JDBA Official Member

Best answer yet. This is exactly what I'd put my money on.
    I know of a few supposed "custom" knives being made in China or other factories, possibly in Russia too.
    I know of at least one high end custom that comes from a Russian maker that is not a hand made knife.
    I was at Blade when one of his knives was inspected by a couple true full custom makers. They agreed that there was no part of the knife that was made by hand. Even the sharpening was not done by hand.

What do you really expect for $150-$200...LOL

desmodus likes this.
  7. Slimreaper35322

Slimreaper35322 Little member

Not trying to say you don't know what your talking about because you are right, other than the fact that you can see some older videos of some of his production on his Instagram. Doesn't mean he hasn't outsourced to keep cost down because it's extremely possible.. Just waiting now to receive mine to get an idea of what I'm really looking at.

8. thegoodedge

thegoodedge Pacific Edge Cutlery JDBA Official Member

I've made a few bali's. Believe me, you can't make a Ti channel bali and sell it for $150-$200 unless you're happy working for a couple dollars an hour.
    A proto or 2 has to be made before you send it to production.

Linos likes this.
  9. XtraMedium

XtraMedium Devil's Cohort JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I just got my demon today. I still need to spend some time with it, but so far I'm not overly impressed. It is definitely a cool looking knife. I suppose I can't complain for the price.

10. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

All titanium comes from the tundra areas of Russia, if I am not mistaken. We pay huge premiums for the tariffs and fees to get it out of there.

Food for thought, also...Someone give me theirs! I know just what to do with it.

:ron:

XtraMedium likes this.
  11. XtraMedium

12. Mr.LaBella

I now have 1 "on the way".

:ron:

13. Slimreaper35322

Slimreaper35322 Little member

Just got my Demon today, does anyone know the size of torx replacements may work for this knife? Id love to add a sexbolt with a torx, and some pb washers. Would love to hear everyones opinion on this or if it would even work.

14. cyclenut

cyclenut JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

I really like mine. For what it costs, it's a great flipper and the blade is wicked sharp. It's a great beginner bali. I'm glad to have one in my collection.

XtraMedium likes this.
  15. Mr.LaBella

Mine is now in the hands of Silent Jay, for before and after videos!!!!

16. XtraMedium

Anxious to see it sir. Do keep me in the loop please.

17. Billy_Goat

Billy_Goat JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I'm pleasantly surprised with mine. It carries it's size and weight very nicely and for the price

18. Silent Jay

Silent Jay Flips more than he speaks JDBA Official Member

Hahaha. Beat me to it!

Update: I now actually have one in hand hahahaha

19. zephyr05

zephyr05 Little member Brigade Member

I dig the spantoish blade grind.

20. Mr.LaBella

How're we doing with this project?

Videos?

Shipped off to Harner?