1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Arabian Scimitar Blade Grinding...

Stuart Mitchell Jul 11, 2015

1. Stuart Mitchell

Stuart Mitchell knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

My current order for these is coming to an end, last Sunday I was in work grinding a couple and took a few photos that I uploaded to my IG, I thought I'd post them here to seeing as I have them...

These are the blanks soon to be blades in question...

[​IMG]

A little over a metre long with a soon to be cutting edge length of around 900mm, laser cut from 5mm stock stainless steel and there shown HT'd too, all the grinding and finishing work is done after HT...

As we all know, all good projects start the same way, no matter what it is...

[​IMG]

The blades are to get FFG's so the flat bed will be used in the latter stages of roughing the bevels but to start with that'd take too much time, so I use this, for the same reason that tapered tangs start with it, it creates a hollow, which grinds faster, then the flat bed takes off the high spots until you have your flat...

[​IMG]

Same machine but set up with the contact wheel and 40g belt, for the grinding work I'll be doing with these...

[​IMG]

Basically on there I'll guess some bevels, roughed almost in series of hollows but kept flat (ish) by means of a rocking motion, edge to spine, as I grind...

Once that I'm almost to desired edge thickness and spine with my series of roughed hollows blended by that rocking motion I'll switch machines, I'll then go here...

[​IMG]

For use like this...

[​IMG]

Same grit belt but this time running over a flat platen, if I have my series of crude hollow bevels correct then on here I can flat them into the FFG that I require...

What I can't do, with 900mm to contend with is grind the bevels on each side in one hit, the way I go about it is in three stages, roughly 400mm, 400mm and 100mm, which thinking now will all be longer because they'll overlap, to blend in the stages...

Starting at the tang end I'll work on the first 400mm, all measurements are approx and guessed, of the blank, both sides as well, I'll grind both sides of the first section, hollowed and then flatted, until I have the rough flats on that section from the spine to edge with an edge of around 1mm or so, it's still 40g here so there plenty to take off afterwards...

What you can barely see here is just that, one of those blanks with the first section ground both sides, you can see where the grinds stop, they start about a third of the way into the tang...

[​IMG]

Tough to show in a photo but here's that same blank/blade fixed in the vice and photo'd edge on, closest to you is the 5mm stock with the 1mm edge and tang furthest away...

[​IMG]

From that point it's obviously the second section of the blade, following on from where I just ground, another approx 400mm, the thing here of course is that you'll need a perfect blend between section one and section two, these blades will get a mirror finish, there's nowhere to hide with that...

So, on with grinding but also once to almost there I constantly feel the blade, the best tool for checking consistency here is a god given one, hands or more accurately fingers, feeling the length of the blade you will tell if the blend between your two grinds is there or not, grind, quench, feel, grind, quench, feel, it's the only way, for me anyway...

Here's the same blank again, 800mm ground but only on one side at this time...

[​IMG]

Purposely only the 800mm on one side because if this photo was any good you'd be able to make out the three differing edge thickness that I have at this point, there's still the 5mm at the tip and the 1mm at the tang end but between that around 3mm, because only one side is ground of middle 400mm section...

[​IMG]

From here all is pretty much obvious, the second side of the middle section needs sorting and then the 100mm at the tip needs bringing in too, until what you have is the full 900mm at 40g, through it's length, with no differences in grinds and levels between the three sections...

[​IMG]

After that there's 80g, 120g, 240g and 400g, and then the mirror polishing....

2. Winter

Winter Rampaging Sausage Knife Maker or Craftsman

Balls! That's a lot of work. Looking forward to seeing the progress on these.

3. Mr.LaBella

Mr.LaBella ←The № 1 Devil→ Administrator

:toetap: :devilcorn::manganr::jdwink2:

4. Rio

Rio Como un angel JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman Brigade Member

Any end result pictures???

5. voimakas

voimakas JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

I'm digging this. Nice. Can't wait to see the finished product.