1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice
  1. Nathan Dewey

Nathan Dewey That guy you know Knife Maker or Craftsman

I bought a lower a week ago and I want to build a high value AR. I had been looking at this company Ceratac but I'm weary because of what I saw posted on their facebook about really slow shipping and not being able to get anyone on the phone. Anyone have experience with Ceratac or know a good site to order a complete upper from?

2. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Try midtech for a reliable upper,,so many companies making them ,,they usually have a vast selection .As for Ceratac not to sure,,,

3. Houston Wyatt

Houston Wyatt Little Member

I just looked them up. The material they use in their upper reciever is good. 7075-T6.

I would be hesitant to run their BCG, bolt carrying group or their gas tubes. The BCG is the heart of the gun.

Charging handles dont really affect function, a $7 and a $75 charging handle both preform the same task, to move the BCG to the rear.

My $0.02, determine the role you want the AR to fill. Home defense, long range, target, competition, plinking etc.. then determine caliber, then try to find you an upper from a reputable manufacturer.

A general observation, any time an upper is under $350 new I would have some concerns.

The upper reciever stripped is usually $50

Then a company has to add:
    BCG
    Gas tube
    Gas block
    Barrel
    Barrel nut
    Muzzle brake
    Rails/handguard
    Charging handle

(Sights, if any.)

For under $300 to break even... and some of those parts are an easy $100 for a decent one. (BCG, Barrel, rail)

Good luck,

Wyatt

Roz and Rio like this.
  4. Nathan Dewey

Update:
    I decided to go with outdoor sports usa or eagleliteinc. on instagram and I went with their "HORUS" model with a 15" handguard for $284.99 and free ups shipping.
    Everything put together well and it shot the first 50 rounds no problem (55gr winchester 5.56 and 50gr american eagle 223). I have only 3 complaints that are worth noting:
    Everything in the kit was included as advertised except for the buffer. In fact, one of the little boxes was empty so I'm guessing it was just a mistake on part of whoever packed it. I called and then emailed about a replacement which they did free of charge via snail mail so it delayed the build by a whole other week. The customer service rep was very understanding and was patient with me when I asked about why the barrel was marked "223 WYLDE" instead of "5.56 NATO". I'm not a rifle guy so I had no idea what 223 wylde actually was. Turns out they don't make barrels specifically for 223 remington, they stick with the 556 chambering so they can shoot both, which it did.
    Second, the flash suppressor came rusty. Being based out of CA I'm sure there's only so much you can do to protect steel against salt air but it's definitely something to keep in mind. BTW, the barrel came wrapped in wax paper and was pristine. I wound up giving it a vinegar bath over a period of days and scrubbing it with a toothbrush to get the rust off. I'm not super anal about gun finishes, the purpose of bluing is to protect the steel so I don't need everything to match perfect. I actually had the flash suppressor upside down when shooting it so I took it off again and gave it one last overnight bath for a darker finish.
    Third, because of how the base of the barrel is shaped you cannot install the dust cover after you put on the barrel. I did things out of order thinking I would do the important stuff first and do the dust cover and forward assist later. So everything is on it except the dust cover. It lives in a case so I'm not worried plus I don't feel like taking off the barrel without a vise block. Another small complaint is that the imitation magpul sights that came with it only lock when down and the rear sight looks like the mechanism is hanging by a thread and could break at any moment. I was expecting the sights to be crap so I went with metal AIM sights.
    It's very early to tell, but so far it looks like a solid build that will outlast me. Good feedramps, staked gas key, m16 bolt carrier group, and a SUPER tight fit onto a Aero Precision lower. Pics to follow if anyone's interested, and most likely a couple videos down the road.

5. wes

wes Mephistopheles Super Moderator Brigade Member

I am interested in pictures and videos.

6. Nathan Dewey

pix. I managed to get the porting at the 1-2 o'clock position and the finish on the flash suppressor still has a little bit of a brown hue on the inside after vinegar and then a perma-blue treatment. I'm thinking if I just keep a film of oil on it it should be fine.

Attached Files:

7. Nathan Dewey

In short, Eaglelite Inc is GTG

8. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock Bali Demon JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Nathan how does it group at 100 or 200 yards? That’s a better test of its quality.

9. Nathan Dewey

I don't know, I haven't taken it to an outdoor range yet but it did get a full mag's worth of head shots at 30 yds. I am still very much a novice and I mostly focus on "self defense" handgun distances.

CDR_Glock likes this.
  10. CDR_Glock

I find an AR-15 to be quite loud, especially indoors. I have fired one a couple of times without my ears on, unintentionally, and I’m sure I have lost some hearing.

I’d be interested to know how it does out further. I love the AR15 pistols which are a lot more maneuverable in a house. Something to think about on your next build. 300 AAC is also a great round to consider.

seandavid55 likes this.
  11. GuItArMaN8373

GuItArMaN8373 JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

My uncle has a comp on his and it makes it sound and feel like a .308 or even .300 win. You can feel the immense pressure pound your brain it's so bad. The way the expelled gasses are handled definitely makes a difference on noise pollution. I personally prefer a flash hider if anything (or suppressor of course.)

12. CDR_Glock

Have you tried suppressing a 5.56 mm?

How do you get it to cycle subsonic? It is still ear popping with a can, though.

13. GuItArMaN8373

GuItArMaN8373 JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

My father and I share a Gemtech One via a trust (multi-caliber suppressor.) Never used it on my 5.56 but use it on .300 blackout all the time.
    I can only assume though that SUBSONIC 5.56 (suppressed) would be just a quiet as SUBSONIC .300 blackout is (suppressed.) My hearing is very sensitive though. So for me, even suppressed, the "POP" hurts my ears and I still wear protection. But it is DEFINITELY much quieter.

Subsonic cycles normally in most automatic firearms IF a suppressor is attached. Reason being, ALOT more back pressure is there to cycle the firearm. This extra blow back is also why it is EXTREMELY important to wear ear protection because powder residue gets blown back into the action and on your face like crazy (more or less so depending on the particular firearm of course.)

On it's own, in some firearms, a subsonic round itself is just too weak to cycle the firearm without the aid of a suppressor.

For example: Shooting an AK47 with milspec ammo = fine. Shooting an AK47 with milspec ammo and suppressed = could destroy the receiver from the extra blowback due to the suppressor.

Basically, a good AR setup for shooting suppressed/unsuppressed or for shooting subsonic/supersonic would have an adjustable gasblock or gas piston and not be a standard direct impingement setup. This let's you adjust the rifle for anything you want to shoot through it.

.22 LR SUBSONIC suppressed and 45ACP (or lesser caliber) SUBSONIC suppressed are the only calibers that are VERY comfortable (and for the most part hearing safe) to shoot without hearing protection.

CDR_Glock likes this.
  14. CDR_Glock

Good to know.

I tried my Tavor with a Suppressor, but it didn’t cycle.

I have not tried my Carbine, Noveske Thunder Ranch, yet.

Tomorrow, I’m going to the range to try my Ruger 10/22 for accuracy.

I also have my 308 Savage Axis that I had threaded for my 30 cal Suppressor. I have some subsonic ammo, and some regular 308 ammo, also.

GuItArMaN8373 likes this.