1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice
  1. 50calmike

50calmike 50 caliber Devil

I would like some sensible options for a build I'll be doing in a few months.
    I will be getting a stripped lower, and already have a stripped flat top upper.
    I already have decided to put an A2 stock on it, so no to all of you thinking collapsible MagPul or other adjustable thing.
    Sensible means NO TACTICAL USELESS CRAP WILL BE HANGING OFF OF IT. No lights or lasers, breaching devices, golf ball launchers or bayonets, slingshot maybe.
    I am not a cop or Commando(unless wearing my kilt), I do not rescue hostages from Somali pirates or Taliban goat fuckers.
    I am a guy who like rifles and shooting. I have shotguns and pistols for home defense.
    What I am looking for is caliber options, I like the 5.56 just fine, but want a little more reach.
    Barrel length options, I think I want something in the 18-24" range.
    Lower cost optics options, I like the idea of Trijicon and EOTech and all that jazz, but I want it more practical for hunting medium and small size game and punching paper.
    I am also notoriously cheap, but will buy quality for this build, it may be my last AR type rifle.

If I get other than 5.56, will I have to get exotic about modifications to the rifle?
    What conversions can you do that don't require a different bolt, magazines, etc.
    I have a ton of mags and don't want to buy a bunch more.
    Should I just get a 6.8? Or is there a better option for hunting?

2. mag1

mag1 No More Mr. Nice Guy Brigade Member

make sure you get a good 18" barrel and decent trigger.
    Optics, I am a big Aimpoint fan.
    These 2 may break the budget though!
    Congrats on your build.:thumbsup:

3. TopHat

TopHat Drivin' that train..... Brigade Member

[​IMG]

4. jjhamilton

jjhamilton JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

You already have the upper, I'm assuming barrel too. You already have the mags, your stuck with 5.56 then. Is the upper a Wylde (did I spell that right?) chamber? If yes you can shoot both 5.56 and/or 223...if not you can only shoot 223. Little known info about ARs, not all can fire a 5.56. The tolerances have to be "looser"to fire the 5.56, but accuracy suffers (some). Make sure you check the barrel to see if its marked 223, 5.56 or Wylde before you buy ammo. For hunting larger animals (deer) and distance I'd recommend 308. conversion (different upper and mags)
    And about the stock, the Magpul PRS stock is a better non collapsible, long distance stock compared to the A2, though more expensive. IMOP....
    Everyone says I won't Barbie Doll my AR.....:jdwink2:

***edit I just noticed you haven't purchased the upper yet, 308 at least for hunting. But build will be more expensive considering you already have mags.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2013
  5. Lon Humphrey

Lon Humphrey Moderator Knife Maker or Craftsman

yeah if i were building one from the ground up i would do a .308 too for distance and hunting or the 300 blackout

im going to accurize my flat top for groundhogs and paper. Mine has the A2 stock as well and is 5.56

from what i have been reading the single best thing you can do is get a good trigger group. the one that's on my rifle has a trigger that you need a truck to pull

that is going to be my first upgrade

6. NJMAR

NJMAR Huge member

7. L R Harner

L R Harner They call me "Butch" Knife Maker or Craftsman

i woudol like a 45acp upper for HD (kelly has a shotty)
    6.8 or 300BO woudl be fun options but if reloading and not minding a hsir more $ i woudl look at some of the wildcats in 243

8. jjhamilton

I had thought of the 45 upper too, really neat HD package, but I broke HD down to 2 examples...Bump inside I grab the G21, outside I grab the AR!

9. Mike Grasso

Mike Grasso "to protect and to serve" Super Moderator Brigade Member

Since all you have is an upper and a lower, you have many choices.
    6.8, 300AAC, 450 SOCOM, 45acp, 9mm, 40SW and 50 Beowulf to name a few.
    308 is not an option since it requires a different sized lower.

Out of the above I've shot everyone except the 50.

If you are looking for a hard hitting mid range caliber the 300AAC easily fits your criteria. (1/7 twist)

Mike

Not mine but the information is correct...

"Since its inception as the standard US military primary issue rifle ammunition, the 5.56×45mm NATO round has run up against firm opposition from those who argue that the 30 caliber round provides the minimum, if not ideal, performance necessary for the modern battlefield soldier. While 5.56mm NATO has enjoyed widespread acceptance in military circles, the fluid nature of the missions that some special operations groups encounter often demand a round that not only provides better performance than that available in the high energy standard velocity rounds but also one that can offer subsonic performance greater than the current standard 9mm submachine guns now in use.

In an effort to satisfy this need the 300 AAC Blackout was created by Advanced Armament Corporation in cooperation with Remington Defense, under the direction of AAC's Research and Development Director Robert Silvers.

Project goals were:

Create a reliable compact 30-cal solution for AR platform
    Utilize existing inventory magazines while retaining their full capacity
    Create the optimal platform for sound and flash suppressed fire
    Create compatible supersonic ammo that matches 7.62×39mm ballistics
    Provide the ability to penetrate barriers with high-mass projectiles
    Provide all capabilities in a lightweight, durable, low recoiling package

Meeting these goals allowed the development team to negate many of the perceived drawbacks inherent to other large caliber cartridges when used in the M4 platform. Colt Firearms and other arms makers had previously chambered AR pattern rifles and carbines in various 30 caliber rounds but several issues were encountered. In the case of the 7.62×39mm, its relatively severe case angle caused feeding issues unless specially modified AK47 magazines were used and even then results were less than outstanding. Modified bolts were also needed owing to its larger case head diameter. Rounds such as the 6.8spc and 6.5 Grendel had similar part-interchangeability issues but did allow for the use of the standard M4/M16 30 round magazine albeit with a reduced capacity.

300 AAC Blackout rounds shot from a suppressed M4 Carbine.

Wildcats such as the 300 Whisper and 300-221 addressed these issues but their widespread use in single shot handguns along with the lack of an industry standard cartridge dimension meant that a great number of the popular loads on both the supersonic and subsonic end of the spectrum were less than ideal in the AR pattern weapons. Many of these rounds required an excessively long overall cartridge length that would prohibit feeding in a STANAG magazine while using powder charges that were not compatible with the pressure requirements of the M4 carbine. This was particularly noticeable when using subsonic ammunition in conjunction with a suppressor as short stroking and excessive fouling would occur similar to that which was seen in the earliest variants of the M16 in Vietnam.

By keeping the M4/M16 platform in mind as the primary host during load development the designers were able to work up a host of cartridges that would satisfy not only the ballistic requirements set forth but also ensure mechanical reliability with the fewest changes to the weapon itself, with only a simple barrel change being necessary for a complete conversion.

300 AAC BLACKOUT was approved by SAAMI on January 17, 2011."

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2013
  10. jjhamilton

Thanks Mike I didn't know the .308 required a different lower, good to know! Thanks

11. Mike Grasso

Mike Grasso "to protect and to serve" Super Moderator Brigade Member

All of the calibers I stated are the same length as the 5.556 or smaller, therefore the same size lower.
    Once you go to a longer cartridge the mag is bigger, the magwell is bigger the receiver is larger.

[​IMG]

12. jjhamilton

Makes perfect sense!

13. 50calmike

I had looked into the Blackout, but had not talked to anyone who had fired it. Recoil is not a concern, just had no real info.
    I really like the 6.5 Grendel, but Alexander Arms are being dicks about everything dealing with that cartridge.

14. perado

perado Shoot to thrill

That's a shame. From what I've read, the 6.5 Grendel would fill the bill.

15. BlueSkyJaunte

BlueSkyJaunte waster of perfectly good steel

You can bypass the AA stupidity about 6.5 Grendel by going with something chambered in .264 LBC-AR. Black Hole Weaponry makes polygonally rifled barrels in this caliber. It's nearly the same as 6.5 Grendel with a minor tweak to the chamber.

I shoot Hornady 6.5 Grendel A-Max (123 gr) through mine with great success.

Despite AA being 'tards, I heartily recommend the 6.5 Grendel.

16. 50calmike

Just read an article on the 6.5 lbc and it makes me very happy that they're pulling a legal fast one on AA. Fuck Alexander. I have to look into that now. This just got verrry interesting.

17. 50calmike

After much research into the 6.5 class of cartridges, I am going with a Grendel chambered barrel.
    I would like to try the 6 mm some day, but for now the 6.5 will do. Thanks for the input Gents.

18. taoist

taoist taoist JDBA Official Member

Don't think that you will be disappointed with 6.5 Grendel. Biggest issue is getting magazines that feed.

19. J-rod007

J-rod007 Pleasant Plucker Brigade Member

Here is my current build:

Rock River lower, receiver, 2-stage N.M. Trigger, 1:7 16" barrel, mid-length gas tube, MagPul ACS stock, grip, Leupold 1.5x5x20mm Mark 4 scope.....still deciding on forearm and sling options. All in Dark Earth color. Boom.

20. ZPNi

ZPNi Little member

If you are limited to 5.56, the biggest single factor would be the ammo itself if you are building for distance which it sounds like you are. Do you know what ammo you plan to shoot mainly? Is this going to be more a shoot whatever ammo you can find deal, or shooting something like Gold Medal or Black Hills with higher end optics out at the upper limit of what 5.56 can do? Depending on how much you want to shoot and how far you want to shoot, 6.8 may be a viable option...but the biggest limiting factor with that is cost given 5.56 is (was) the cheap rifle round to have for a while. I know a lot of guys who are doing semi AR-10 builds with 7mm-08 and at 500 yards, their heavier loads are still moving over 2,000 feet per second and are flat as a board, and the round can easily get into quad figures but still is good for even small varmint...with 7mm-08, the biggest limiting factor in addition to cost is that most ranges aren't going to give the distance that the round is capable of pushing with the heavier bullets. That will probably be my next build as my AR build is more for home defense, but at the cost of less-capability when it comes to longer range shooting past a few hundred yards.