1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Apprenticeship/ grinds

Mike41888 Jun 26, 2020

1. Mike41888

Mike41888 Little Member

Hey all,
    I am new to knife making, looking to hone this craft. I am currently pretty good at anos, bushings, etc. I just did my first regrind. I was fixing up a knife for a good friend, and he wanted me to try a regrind. I’ll post the photo in the thread. Anyway naturally that is my next step. I’m looking for someone in the ulster county ny area, who could teach me how to do a proper grind/regrind. I can work for free, or pay you to get a jump start on learning to grind. Anyway as always, thanks to the JD, and hope to hear from one of you guys! Thanks again!

Attached Files:

apdallaround and Balibuyer like this.
  2. blackmetal1181

blackmetal1181 The Devils Knifemaker JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

Just keep at it. Its all about practice.
    Wish i had someone to show me everything but you can do it if you try.

3. apdallaround

apdallaround K'inich Janaab' Pakal I JDBA Official Member

words of truth

best teacher = self experience

Mike41888 and blackmetal1181 like this.
  4. Mike41888

Mike41888 Little Member

For sure, just figured if I can find someone, it can only help. Any recommendations for where to get cheap blanks to practice?

5. Mike41888

Mike41888 Little Member

Yeah I feel ya. Also same question. If any recommendations for blanks to practice on?

6. blackmetal1181

blackmetal1181 The Devils Knifemaker JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

Fixed blades make your own
    Small blades like puukko knives or something similar or whatever you want just keep at it. There is a lot of info on here and youtube but ultimately its trial and error that teaches the most

BennytheBlade likes this.