1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone knowledgeable about Lugers?

GuItArMaN8373 May 4, 2020

1. GuItArMaN8373

GuItArMaN8373 JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

Hey guys, a friend of mine discovered an old 1930s Luger in her house, assumed to belong to her father-in-law and brought back from WW2.

It does have some markings on it as well as the serial numbers I could take pictures of and post here if there is anyone who is knowledgeable about these relics?

Otherwise, I may have to check around on some gun-specific forums and see what I can find!

Just wanted to check with my gun and knife loving family here at JD first!

Thanks!

Balibuyer and begreen61 like this.
  2. woodlander

woodlander Brigade Member Brigade Member

I wouldn't say I am all that knowledgeable, but I do know a little.

They are very collectable. People are fascinated with that era and want to own the classic pistols.

They are worth more if all the serial numbers match. They were made before the age of mass automation. The final assembly on each pistol was done by hand by a skilled technician. Each major component had a serial number on it. Many of the Lugers you find today were put together after the war and the numbers will not match in these. They are still functional and collectable items, but not quite as sought after.

If it has an eagle or a swastika on it, it was issued to an officer and is more valuable.

The only thing that keeps down the value of these items is that a lot of them were made. Opinions vary, but many feel that they are not great shooters. They look great and are worth collecting though.

I know this isn't too much to go on, but I hope it helps.

Balibuyer and begreen61 like this.
  3. GuItArMaN8373

Every little bit helps, thanks!

4. Rio

Rio Como un angel JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman Brigade Member

Take it to Pawn Stars, Rick will give an offer and you add 45% and you got yourself the value.

BennytheBlade likes this.
  5. Rio

Rio Como un angel JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman Brigade Member

Do not deal with Chumlie

BennytheBlade likes this.
  6. nostimos

nostimos JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Cant believe i missed this. Probably too late.
    Near where i live in Southern California is a collectors shop run by two cousins.
    I believe its called Collectors Gallery and it's in a historic German food/shopping area called
    Alpine Village. Its in the city of Torrance.
    I've gone there cause one of the cousins is a knife collector and sells at shows around the US.
    He has the knife collection out for display for purchase plus older historic war blades.
    They also have old historically significant guns and rifles.
    They have an FFL and are more purchasers than sellers of some of their rare gun stuff, but if the price is right . . . .
    They have A LOT of rare old sculptures, and even nazi war badges/paraphernalia.

Anyway, this is important because one of their dads (or maybe grandfather?) wrote THE book on
    collecting historic Lugers.

If this is still relevant to the OP and you cant find info online, PM me and I'll see if I can dig up a card with specific names or even a number.

seandavid55 likes this.
  7. GuItArMaN8373

Little too late sir but thanks! Gave the gun back to my friend after trying to get it to work for some time.

begreen61 likes this.
  8. nostimos

Sorry :supersadface:

Did you take a pic of it, at least? :jdwink2:

9. GuItArMaN8373

Lol I did not. I know, I'm breaking hearts like crazy now.

10. nostimos

BAD DEVIL !!
    YOU'RE A BAD BAD DEVIL !! :ropeman::jdwink2:

11. GuItArMaN8373

I am, i am :(

12. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade LUC4 JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

forgotten weapons is a great resource for the old stuff.

13. Slick_Dinger

Slick_Dinger Little Member

8474ABDF-B645-433E-B2C4-69879A70A0F0.jpeg Just saw this post. I recently received a 1939 Luger from my late grandfather. Don’t know much about it other than it’s bad ass!

GuItArMaN8373 likes this.
  14. gunnertwo

gunnertwo Little member

From the pic posted I can tell it's a Mauser WW2 P.08 in 9mm (military production was all 9mm). If you post pics of the top more can be told. It's post 1937 production as all parts were blued (trigger, safety etc.) starting about mid year. Let me know if you need help on the field strip. Nice memento from a family member.

G2

15. Slick_Dinger

Thank you for the reply. I took some more pics of it. I was able to strip it and clean it after watching a video on YouTube. Any history you can provide on it would be awesome.

16. Slick_Dinger

883A447C-D7AB-42E7-9B37-17AF6FABE388.jpeg 4022C6FB-5F74-40A1-9FE5-CB906CE1B2D9.jpeg B0630449-3C81-4291-B00C-354BFF8CB6B6.jpeg 65023F04-A77A-4F2B-9A21-90AAC2B438D3.jpeg

snache and Huevos like this.
  17. gunnertwo

gunnertwo Little member

I've attached a pic of the page covering your pistol. It's from the Jan Still book on Third Reich Lugers. He wrote a series on the sidearms covering all Axis powers from WWI to WW2. They're all out of print and are considered the major works on the subject.

G2

IMG_1597Still.jpg

markandrex likes this.
  18. Slick_Dinger

Man, this is awesome. Thank you so much for taking the time to share this with me. I took it out to the range today and put a few rounds through it. Ran flawless and was a really fun gun to shoot.

19. gunnertwo

gunnertwo Little member

My pleasure! Those have been a passion of mine for years.

G2

Slick_Dinger and markandrex like this.