1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone going/been to a "Knife Show" convention?

three_cs Apr 22, 2019

1. three_cs

three_cs Tiny Member

Hello JD'ers,

I was wondering if anyone is going to the "Knife Show" convention in Atlanta this year. I have never been. It looks like it's going to be an awesome event. A lot of Balisong manufacturers are going to be there. They dub it the "largest knife convention in the world". Has anyone been to one before? Do you recommend only going one day or more?

Also, does anyone know or have experience bringing bali's in a checked bag? I would like to bring some and purchase some at the show. Bali's are legal in both MN and GA in which I'm traveling. I just don't know if there are any other restrictions I am missing.

2. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade Fate is Inexorable JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

Its a great show, I have been 3-4 times. Wish I could go back but work is work. You can either ship your knives via your favorite carrier to wherever you are staying or risk checking them. Either way its not a problem except if it comes up missing. There are many horror stories about knives coming up missing in UPS/USPS/FEDEX and Airline bags.

three_cs likes this.
  3. three_cs

three_cs Tiny Member

Sorry you can't make it! I actually should probably attend this on the job training that is going on the same weekend, but it's recorded. It doesn't completely equate to getting personal training, but this knife show has me making exceptions :D.

What about the number of days to go? Can you do everything in one day? I might go try and do some sightseeing while I'm there.

As far as transporting knives, I think I'll just ship back home with insurance. Seems like the most guaranteed route.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  4. BennytheBlade

BennytheBlade Fate is Inexorable JDBA Official Member Super Moderator Brigade Member

For me, it was always worth it to stay for the whole show. You get to meet the makers and some of them sell out in the first hour so they have nothing to do but talk. Great way to get to know the person and learn about the craft. There are makers who I now consider friends and there are makers who make great knives that I would never buy because of how they acted when I met them.

Rio, three_cs and Organ Grinder like this.
  5. Rio

Rio Como un angel JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman Brigade Member

Been there as well Benny, never buy a knife from some arrogant prick ( check)’” , lmao

BennytheBlade likes this.
  6. BennytheBlade

Too true. They think the ride goes on forever. I can throw some names of "hot" makers from 10 years ago and the only comments you would get would be:
    A. Who?
    or
    B. That jackass?

But overall, it is a great experience and well worth 2 and a half days. Great knives and even better people.