1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody Made an AR with a 80% Polymer Receiver?

crogers Aug 15, 2017

1. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli Super Moderator Brigade Member

Has anyone tried this yet? I've been thinking about giving it a go.

Any complications from the polymer? I've heard some good things about the aluminum receivers, but not these.

Would they hold up well under use? They work fine for pistols, but I'm not so sure about the higher pressures in rifle calibers.

begreen61 likes this.
  2. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

There fine for pinking but I wouldn't want to shoot a lot of rounds through it ,my ar annd ak receivers get hot when we run 3/500 rounds through them . Just my experience ,

crogers likes this.
  3. waterdogs

waterdogs Brigade Member Brigade Member

I`ve also seen recent ads to "Build a Glock 17 in your garage in just an hour"....I would imagine it`s pretty much the same deal, an 80% lower that you have to finish and outfit with all the necessary parts. Anybody build one of those yet ?

crogers likes this.
  4. crogers

I have the parts for the Glock. I'm building a Glock 22. I've never been a big fan of 9mm. Just waiting on mags and I'll get 'er put together. Vids on Youboob, make it look pretty easy. There is also a compact frame available for making a Glock 19 or 23.

Since the Glock originally had the polymer frame, it was not a concern of mine. I'm just wondering about the safety and longevity of a polymer framed AR.

Those are available for both the .223 platform (AR-15) and the .308 (AR-10) platform. I'm just concerned about the additional pressure and stress of the higher pressure rounds.

5. crogers

Here's the "Glock" 22 made with the Polymer 80 frame.

Judging from what I've read, this was easier to complete than the AR lowers. I took my time, and the only power tool I used was a drill to drill the holes. I think it took a little over an hour.

I wish I'd waited. The company is coming out with a v2 frame that I think looks better. Maybe, I'll build one of those and switch this to a permanent .22LR conversion pistol.

Glock22.jpg

Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. I may need an excuse to go to the range.... :manganr:

6. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock Bali Demon JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

All you needed was a drill or did you use a drill press? When I saw the video, I could have sworn that he used a drill press.

How reliable has it been? I have read some mixed reviews.

I have no need for one, since most of my Glocks aren't even in my name

crogers likes this.
  7. Lapedog

Lapedog Little member

You might find this interesting.

https://www.full30.com/video/39dd126be83b2d3642f3480333b743e7

Better yet I'm sure you will!!

crogers likes this.
  8. crogers

Just a hand drill. The instructions are VERY clear about using a hand drill to drill the frame holes.

If you check out some more videos, they use everything from Dremels to nippers to finish these things. After all, they're just plastic. I used an X-acto saw to remove the majority of the excess polymer, then a file to finish it to size. I cut the rear slide rails with a small file. The kit comes with milling bits to do the job, but I wanted to see how simple it could be done.

The new, and improved, v.2 of this product, uses metal inserts for the front and rear rails, so no more rear rail milling needed. I saw one of the compact models in the v.2. I prefer it to the original.

I really haven't had the range time to make any reliability claims. It seemed a bit rough to start, but with use, it seems to be smoothing out a bit. If I run into any problems, I'll post 'em here.

Lapedog and CDR_Glock like this.
  9. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock Bali Demon JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I'd be interested in your range trip.

There isn't a gun I get that I don't shoot within the week. I can't resist trying it out.

I have a lot of Glocks but it would be interesting to just do one for the sake of doing it, for me. I have already built a few AR-15s in the past year.

Lapedog and crogers like this.