1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Another one of my three keepers Guncrafter Industries .50GI

Gress Sep 11, 2014

1. Gress

Gress Huge member

Guncrafter Model 1 in .50GI and .45acp calibers.
    This gun is very special to me. Originally I bought it in .45acp, which Alex is offering as an option, but then with quick factory stop it became a .50GI as originally designed to be.

.50GI is amazing round, if you have not heard of it you should give it a look. Following same idea of heavy and somewhat slow round the .45acp with build about, it is sure way more capable for self defense in city environment or at home.
    You may want to check out this
    [video=youtube;iMWB7VygMCc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMWB7VygMCc[/video]

At the same time it is free of overpenetration risks associated with magnums or other flavors of .50" round. It is also a dream and fun to reload, as you can make whatever you want with it (or almost :))

Anyway, here is the gun:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Take a look at the barrel difference between .45 and .50 calibers
    [​IMG]

This is a copper HP bullet, which opens up to the size of a quarter coin and available as a bullet or a loaded ammo from Guncrafter Industries.
    [​IMG]

The gun is utterly accurate in both calibers
    [​IMG]

And fun to shoot.
    [​IMG]

It makes me smile everytime I shoot it.

The round is not cheap though, so you better prepare to reload. Then it is affordable. My cost (with me loosing some brass at the range) is about 38c/round.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2014
    Shike, 1911kevin and VANELLI like this.
  2. VANELLI

VANELLI JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

That was great, nice vid. I like the idea of the little .50.

3. waterdogs

waterdogs Brigade Member Brigade Member

The only .50 cal handgun I`ve ever fired was a Desert Eagle, but I don`t really care much for that platform. Having a Fitty in a smaller, more manageable package definitely has a lot of appeal.
    How does the .50 GI compare to the .50 AE balistically ?

(BTW, you have some very interesting hardware....:thumbsup:)

4. Gress

Gress Huge member

No comparison. They are two very different rounds in every respect - design goal, use cases, recoil and of course their ballistics.

50AE ballistics for 300gr bullet
    300 gr JHP, 1531 ft/s, 1516 ft-lb

.50GI ballistics for 300gr bullet
    300 gr JHP, 860 ft/s, 493 ft-lb

If you want a defense round which would serve all your needs without much overpenetration risks, .50GI is the one.
    If you want the most powerful round in a pistol (for hunting, etc.) then .50AE is your choice.

5. waterdogs

waterdogs Brigade Member Brigade Member

Gotcha....the .50 GI is like getting hit with a bowling ball :manganr:

Thanks for the info ! :devilwag:

6. 1911kevin

1911kevin Huge member

Outstanding! Thanks for sharing, subscribed and looking forward to more vids.

7. Gress

Gress Huge member

Hey, thanks. Can't take credits for the vid, it's not mine. The only reason it's here is just to show the difference with regard to .45acp (which I love as well).

8. Gress

Gress Huge member

For those of us who values different power benchmarks, it is quite educational to see how .50gi cartridge performs as measured by hunting indices.
    Just out of curiosity I took the table from Guncrafter's site with Taylor knock-out factor and added a column with Thorniley stopping power scale for same bullet weights and velocities.

[​IMG]

and if you reload you have the whole range from .45acp level to +p or +p+ or ++

9. Shike

Shike knifemaker Knife Maker or Craftsman

Holy shit! Nice.

10. Ironminer

Ironminer Huge member

Simply amazing! Thankx for sharing.

11. nostimos

nostimos JDBA4L JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

???
    A .45acp has more "Thorniley" stopping power than a .40 and .357 (if heavy enough)?
    Is this due to potentially LESS overpenetration, so more "energy/force" of the .45 staying in the "object"?

I thought the .40s&w/.357 was considerably better at one shot stops than the .45.
    Maybe just on average, and depending on the weight of bullets.

Anyway, I loved this post and the constant upgrading of technology to get an ever bigger diameter hand cannon in a traditionally smaller pistol.
    So you dont need magnum shells in a HUGE semi auto like the desert eagle mentioned earlier.
    Anyone remember the COONAN .357?

If this idea of bigger diameters and heavier bullets and slower FPS's for the ultimate self defense and no fear of overpenetration catches on (and becomes cheaper:jdwink2:), then congrats to the inventors of the .50GI for making a needed contribution, specifically in the area of self defense.
    The idea of the .50AE always seemed more limited to big bore handgun hunting of dangerous game to me.

Wasn't the same thing said decades ago, when comparing .45 to 9mm?:ropeman::manganr:
    During the whole "Cooper vs. Libourel" debate back in the early 80's?:bwah:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2014
  12. abqjoe

abqjoe JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Pretty slick:manganr:

13. Gress

Gress Huge member

I do not have a reference handy, but there is statistical data behind ranking .45acp and .357mag as being the best at 1 shot stops.

I trust .50GI even better.

FYI:
    TSP = 2.866 * v * (m/7000) * sqrt(d)
    where:
    TSP = Thorniley Stopping Power
    v = velocity of the bullet in feet per second
    m = mass of the bullet in grains
    sqrt = square-root function
    d = diameter of the bullet in inches.

There are many who do not believe in those hunting indices. However, they exist and some use them :)

14. Gress

Gress Huge member

I use a laser trainer a lot
    [​IMG]

So I wanted to make myself some snap caps to use while dry firing.
    As there are none available in .50GI, I decided to make them from .50AE using my lathe.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just for fun :)

Not that it could not be made from an empty case with a rubber insert instead of a primer :)

15. VANELLI

VANELLI JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

[​IMG]

16. Gress

Gress Huge member

.50gi magazines are undoubtedly the best ones I have seen.
    Here is Ned Christiansen's take on Alex's .50gi magazines (from his post on 1911forum in 2004):
    "The magazine is a real piece of work. It's very significant that the body is made from heat treated stainless (you can plainly see that it's been through an inert-gas bright heat treating process) that is .006 thicker that the steel used in a .45 magazine. .006 doesn't sound like much but that's about a 25% increase. The follower is machined from Delrin and has a heat treated steel insert where it contacts the slide stop. The removable floor plate is machined from, no wait, it is machined for cryin'-out-loud from, steel, and Parkerized to match the gun. There are two small holes per side in the body to show full and when there are at least two rounds left. One of the reasons the Wilson magazines work so well is that they hold the rounds measurably higher than others (remember a couple years back when the design was improved? Guess who?). The GI mag also holds the rounds high and angled upward. The mag will not be a weak spot, that seems sure."

For those who did not see them here is a quick look:
    [​IMG]

17. Scout

Scout Huge member

Yep, Alex and the guys at GI are great. Ned too for that matter. Very friendly lot. The GI guns are some of the best made slickest shooters, that Ive ever have handled and shot. Dont take my word for it though, Im biased - check them out yourself.

18. Gress

Gress Huge member

^ +1
    You need to detail strip it to see the quality and appreciate it :)
    [​IMG]

And I am trying to stay objective :D

19. klondike1024

klondike1024 Little member

Thank you for posting this useful information.