1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Ancient Greek Coins

knifepuppet Jan 23, 2009

1. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli Super Moderator Brigade Member

:fixed:

ded i and knifepuppet like this.
  2. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

i love this thread so much.

ded i and knifepuppet like this.
  3. knifepuppet

knifepuppet Brigade Member Brigade Member

Two pictures for lady devilz.

I hope you guys enjoy a nice weekend. :decisions

IMG_20170513_114606c.jpg IMG_20170513_115605d.jpg

:urock:

ded i likes this.
  4. knifepuppet

As for the victories of Athens, Poseidon must have done them lot of favors. It is said he has always been true friend of Athena's.

When the Allies of Corinth and Syracuse completely destroyed the navy of Athens in September 413 BC, Poseidon should stand on the side of Syracuse. I guess Athena didn't like an arrogant empire either.

Here I share a very artistic potrait of Poseidon. These coins were struck in Syracuse, Sicily, circa 275-216 BC.

IMG_20170513_111402a.jpg IMG_20170513_112758b.jpg

:ph34r:

ded i likes this.
  5. ded i

ded i Friend of The Devil Lady Devil

Wow, that is a terrific portrait of Poseidon. The photo with a Triton is clever since Triton is the son of Poseidon. Not such a good idea to stand against Poseidon, I agree.

Please, I see the fish tail, but what else does this image depict:

greekcoin.jpg

crogers and knifepuppet like this.
  6. desmodus

desmodus Arc Sodium Administrator Lady Devil JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

I always liked and wanted one of those lady hawks.

Beautiful pieces.

crogers and knifepuppet like this.
  7. knifepuppet

Thank you. Yes, Triton is so powerful that he could help chase away the Giants. :)

The reverse side is ornamented trident head flanked by two dolphins.

Screenshot_20170513-212917.jpg

Dolphins are wonderful friends of Poseidons'. It is said a dolphin once saved the life of Taras, another son of Poseidon.

IMG_20170513_212158.jpg
    IMG_20170513_212331.jpg
    CALABRIA, Tarentum. Circa 280-272 BC. AR Nomos. Nude warrior, wearing crested helmet, on horseback right, holding round shield and two lances in left hand, spear pointed downwards in right; SI behind / TARAS below, Taras astride dolphin left, holding kantharos in extended right hand, trident over left shoulder; GU left.
    591060.jpg

ded i likes this.
  8. knifepuppet

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    desmodus likes this.
  9. ded i

Come in handy if you think you're gonna have a Giant problem. lol

Greek Mythology is so fabulous. Do you have any thoughts on what the Giants were, if they were symbolic, what else they could be? There are so many references to 'Giants' in oral and written mythology, different cultures, and in the bible and with other religions, I think we almost have to take them literally.

knifepuppet likes this.
  10. crogers

crogers Magnus advocatus diaboli Super Moderator Brigade Member

The way San Francisco has been giving up home runs this season, I don't think ANYBODY is having a Giant problem! :cheesydevil:

ded i likes this.
  11. knifepuppet

According to the Game of Thrones (GOT), there were some giants outside the Wall.

The giants were not necessarily in the shape of hunman being.

They also had huge Mammoths and other living weapons.

Literally, I guess giants in Greek Mythology should be those fat, big northens by the Baltic. :domo:

desmodus and ded i like this.
  12. knifepuppet

Outdoors and sports are always my favorite.

Greco-Roman Wrestling has always been classical.

-233891753.jpg 304979358.jpg

Slingers in Rome infantry phalanx could help crack down enemies from horseback. They threw out round stones very precisely.:joust: :peter:

https://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=19312

IMG_20170517_124648.jpg IMG_20170517_124730.jpg

PAMPHILIA, Aspendos. Circa 370-330 BC. AR Stater (10.99 gm). Two wrestlers grappling; AF between / ESTFEDIIU, slinger to right; triskeles in right field.

h2eqlve56pi72w5zpqdyb7h5i_107.jpg

SNGvA_4531.jpg

:horrorguys:

desmodus and begreen61 like this.
  13. begreen61

begreen61 Deadicated JDBA Official Member Brigade Member

Love-in the history in your post and your passion .

knifepuppet likes this.
  14. ded i

That's funny. But it is probably true. :bwah:

Thanks for the outdoors and sports coin pictures. It is nice seeing them and learning.

knifepuppet and begreen61 like this.
  15. knifepuppet

That's what I guess. :thing:

I am just a newb in the field of ancient Greek culture. :)

And I understand you know arts of Classical Times.

Could you please teach me more on the giants?
    :mutley:

begreen61 and ded i like this.
  16. knifepuppet

Ancient Greek coins have lotsa sense of humor.

desmodus, begreen61 and ded i like this.
  17. ded i

I have a little book on Greek Myths in my bathroom; I like to read in the bathtub. It uses pictures from classical art to tell the stories of the ancient gods of Greece. Honestly, that's all the Greek I know. Seriously. In it the major Greek gods are giants. I just looked that up in my book. :bangdesk:

mythsbook.jpg

knifepuppet and begreen61 like this.
  18. Glenn

Glenn Sol Invictus Knife Maker or Craftsman

I doubt that. :cheesydevil:

ded i likes this.
  19. knifepuppet

I am glad you share your opinion here. Thanks for teaching me more about the Giants. And I think your book looks pretty nice.

The shortcome of mine is that they are all translated from English editions because there have been lack of authors mastering ancient Greek in my country (China).
    IMG_20170524_165301.jpg
    Here I am not sure whether their opinion's correct or not. It is said the Olympian gods were the 4th generation, e.g. Zeus and Poseiton were sons of Rhea, and Rhea was a daughter of Gaea being born from Chaos.

Meanwhile, besides Rhea, Gaea gave births to a few other children including the Titans and Giants. I.e. Giants were the 3rd generation.

That I have to say is Zeus was not either a Titan or a Giant.

Of course, Titans were not Giants. Though each of them could produce their own children, Olympians gods (Zeus's) were none of them.

According to above books, the essential difference between Giants and Zeus's was of ethics. Gaea's Giants represented those natural, primordial and antisocial desires. On the contrary, Olympians gods mainly fought on behalf of the freedom under strict selfcontrol.

However, when people learned how Zeus tortured Prometheus (a Titan) for he had done human a great favor, Zeus has been considered a grim character.

:wolfgang:

ded i and begreen61 like this.
  20. ded i

It is all very complex because even early Greek writers don't agree. It becomes very confused when the Romans appropriate the personalities and rename them. Do you have access to google search; maybe try that.

knifepuppet likes this.