1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

An obstacle in my path

Jaggerbean Jan 13, 2013

1. Jaggerbean

Jaggerbean Average member

>This question may seem dumb but ill ask none the less Experienced flipper will probably relate (hopefully)
    So i just received a BM62 and the thing is stupid sharp and has drawn more blood in the one day ive had her than my entire flipping career till present.
    I find myself stuck back at the beginning as im afraid of my knife. is this normal for trading up to a real piece of Bali or am i just hitting the first of many walls in flipping ???

krhen likes this.
  2. Balis

Balis Huge member

What were you flipping before? The 62 is a very heavy knife. Some flippers are indeed more hesitant to flip some balisongs over others. It just takes some getting used to

3. Jaggerbean

i was flipping a bear ops b200 trainer and a benchmark live blade. with both knives i was currently on getting behind the eight ball down but after cutting open 3 finger already with the BM62 im not sure i could even try

4. Slaysur

Slaysur Huge member

Well as most flippers will tell you, your flipping a knife, your going to get cut and its just something that is going to happen no matter what so dont let it hold you back!

5. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

i am not a flipper and i like heavy balis but i do find the 62 very awkward at flipping, the combination of heavy and sort its not a good one i guess ..alot of "flippers" dont like it for these 2 things
    i think you should try something different a T2 perhaps? :manganr:

6. AnthonyTheAbyss

AnthonyTheAbyss Godzilla Size Member JDBA Official Member

That's the problem with flipping a trainer/dull knife. You get sloppy because they don't bite. It's not the BM62...it's because your technique needs to improve.

Keep practicing with the 62...start all over, slow it down, break it down. After a few more bites you'll be more careful.

7. Jaggerbean

Yeah i decided to take it from the top. throw out all things i knew before and relearn on the BM62. the problem isnt that its a heavy knife is that im scared to beat the knife up and scared of the nice big bites she give out as opposed to my benchmark "live" blade

8. HarryVeryStoned

HarryVeryStoned Little member

Just give it a few days. Practice basic moves that you feel very comfortable with until you get used to the way the blade flips.

9. ProbablyAwesome

ProbablyAwesome Possibly Not...

Personally, when I first started i went from a CCC to a beat to hell and back bm 239 (borrowed it from my bro's friend). After that, I got a kimura, which was stupid sharp for me at that point, and as you said, I cut myself a lot and didn't even want to continue. What helped me out the most is just doing the basic opening, out, half a helicopter, up, over and over and over until I had it so fluid that it was second nature. It will really really help you get a feel for your new knife, and will help you learn the balance. If you can do full twirls as easily as a basic, then do the same but with full twirls. Mastering the simple stuff will help you more than just knowing how to do harder things.

10. Jaggerbean

Thanks i will give it time and blood. I guess this means im committing for the long haul :manganr:
    I have one last question for this thread Spoiler Alert its sorta off topic. How does on go about loctiting a Balisong. the last thing i want is to get comfy with my new flipper and have Her come apart and ruinning my life (metaphorically)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2013
  11. feenxfire

feenxfire JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

This is a dumb question.

This is a continuous wall. Get over it fast or you won't ever be able to perform in front of anyone. Plus, flipping with a sharp bali will teach you discipline. Learning with a dull bali will make you sloppy in the long-run of things.

Wax-on, wax-off, son!

12. HarryVeryStoned

Just look it up on youtube, there are quite a few tutorials.

13. HarryVeryStoned

My Kimura came a few days before I expected it to and it was my first balisong. Anyway, it shows up in the mail about three hours before I had to head off to a gig. The professional in me said to wait but the child in me prevailed and I ended up playing with the damned thing for the entire three hours I had before the gig. Within those three hours, I cut the shit out of my fingers. I bandaged myself up and thought everything would be cool, but right before the gig started, I took off a few of the bandages that I thought would interfere with my ability to hold a pick. Long story short, by the end of the concert, my hand was almost completely encrusted with dried blood and my pick was stuck to my hand (I had to peel it off, it was rather morbid).

What I'm getting at, is that with a live blade, you are going to get cut and while I was rather hesitant to resume flipping after sustaining these injuries (mainly due to the pain that accompanied picking anything up with my right hand), once they healed I was no longer scared of the blade's bite because the little knicks and dents heal up pretty quick and the pain is all relative. Just don't drop the blade on your foot and you'll be A-OKAY!

14. Wheelman185

Wheelman185 Huge member

I know many have repeatedly said, "Trainers make you sloppy." I have flipped a Trainer, then moved to the live blade without many bites. I nick myself often but that's always been part of it.

Since I am a Bartender, I picked up a BBBarfly and use it instead of your standard Bar-Key to open bottles. I've been working on combining Bali tricks and bottle opening tricks.

Anyways, when I'm home, I flip my blades. I use my Barfly to ease into newer tricks or ideas, then switch and execute it with most of my other Balis so I have a feel.

I haven't scored any crazy bites going from Barfly to Blade. Actually, most of my serious bites happened going from my AB and trying it on the Kimmie. Damn Kimmies always find a way to leave you a reminder that you still have one!

Linos likes this.
  15. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

If you're not getting cut you are doing it wrong.

Conversely, if you are getting cut you are doing it wrong.

Practise getting cut... and not getting cut :ross:

16. Linos

Linos baliholickydexbender JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

Trainers are not the problem...how people use them is...

17. calvinnation

calvinnation Down For Life

Im way more hesitant when I pick up my 62 as well. The heaviness will give you worse cuts, and based on the balance properties, its also a little harder to flip. So it does frighten me a bit to flip but you can get used to any knife. Even in a pretty short period of time. One thing I found is that making a montage or a video with a specific knife, makes you immune to its scariness. I was a little scared of the Tachs tip when i got it, but I had to get the Montage out for BHQ so I manned up and flipped it like I would my 42, I got some nasty cuts but now we are a team!

18. Rio

Rio Como un angel JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman Brigade Member

Grant me the fear that keeps me succeeding not the fear that stops me, I'm not a flipper ,I just do basic shit to relax, that being said you wanna play with a sharp knife spec to get bitten a few for the rest of your life, being cautious helps but you will always get caught some way or another, I did not liked the 62 and I sold it, so maybe you can try a different one or like someone said, slow down.

19. Andy T

Andy T Gentle Giant JDBA Official Member

I had the exact same thing happen. Got a 62 and promptly cut the crap out of myself. There's a vid of it in the Bite section. My 62 is nasty sharp, it's heavy and has short handles, it is the worst flipper I own, but it's a cool knife so I'll keep it.

Get a different Bali to flip and this problem will go away. At least it did for me. I still get cuts, but they are much smaller.:bwah: I know there are guys that can flip the 62 great, but IMO a beginner is going to have trouble trying to start off flipping with one. I'm a beginner as well. Get an AB, 40 series, T2 or a 51 and you'll be much happier and less bloody.

20. SittingWild

SittingWild Huge member

This maybe be viewed as a bitch move but the 63 was the first real balisong I bought and it got me back into balisong's but like everyone is saying it's stupid sharp I could shave with it out of the box.
    And it is a heavy prick of a knife so the cuts are nasty
    I cut the shit out of myself with it the first time I tried anything harder then a open and close.
    so what I did was dull it up but not all the way it will still bite and draw blood but it's not going to be like a 6oz razor slapping my hand
    So I feel like I still have the sence of awareness of the blade and it's not like a trainer where I would not be worried at all of getting bit.

Maybe this makes me just half a bitch :cry: