1. **ATTENTION ALL DEVILS** If you are still having trouble logging in, (Resetting your password should do "the trick") Optimum Online is blocking JD emails for some reason*, OR if you are not technically capable of doing this; use the "Contact Us" form utilizing your current, valid email address. If your email address is 'lost' to you, simply providing some account details will get us on the correct path together. THERE IS NO NEED TO CREATE SECONDARY ACCOUNTS, STOP BEING SO LAZY! YOU WILL BE BANNED! (Yelling/impolite voice implied there for *maximum effect*)
    Dismiss Notice

Alt vs Standard Rep?

dj13ubbles Jun 3, 2018

1. dj13ubbles

dj13ubbles I am a lurker and need to introduce myself!

Hey Guys,

I've been wanting a Replicant for about 2 years now, but never had the cash (or the approval from the wife) until now. With the drop happening on BladeHQ, I'm hoping to get lucky. However, I'm now faced with deciding between the standard blade or the alt blade. I'm hoping someone who has owned/experienced both can help me understand the differences in how they feel, so that I can make a better informed decision. For the record, I'd say that I'm close to an intermediate flipper, but I'm still learning/dropping quite a bit. So whatever one I go with, it will probably end up being a beater.

Here's what I know so far:

Standard Rep:
    1. It's fckin sexy
    2. The tip seems delicate so breaking/bending is a possibility
    3. Has a crowned spine
    Alt blade:
    1. Tip is more durable, so it can stand up to more of a beating
    2. Does not come with a crowned spine (is that a problem?)
    So is my understanding of the differences between to two correct? For those that have/have played with both, do you favor one over the other?

2. Organ Grinder

Organ Grinder Little Member

I too hope to score my first rep soon. And I’ll be “ gunning “for the standard blade. That scorpion tip tanto is just too sexy to even think about passing up. I’ve read people’s comments about the standard being a bit more blade heavy though.

dj13ubbles likes this.
  3. Chockarock

Chockarock JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

On a (slightly) related note, HOW ON EARTH DO YOU FIND OUT ABOUT THESE DROPS IN ADVANCE!?!?!?!?? Do you really just have to lurk facebook and instagram and twitter and JD all day? I didn't see anything about an upcoming drop?

EDIT: Found the heads up on Blade HQ's instagram. couldn't see dates because I was looking at the BRS reblog of it. Any way to get alerts on this stuff? I joined their balisong news list and followed BRS and BHQ on every form of media I could find them on.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  4. Looseyfur

Looseyfur OG Flipper JDBA Official Member Knife Maker or Craftsman

Both have a crowned spine.

5. Organ Grinder

I’ve recently been eye molesting instagram ( which is new to me ) for knife opportunities. I’ve also signed up for alerts from BRS.

6. GuItArMaN8373

GuItArMaN8373 JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

They also send out email notices WAY ahead of time (over a week prior) and post on FB a week prior as well.

7. dj13ubbles

Oh really? Is that something they changed recently? One of the reviews on BladeHQ for the alt said that it didn't have a crowned spine. However, that review was in Jan 2108, so maybe they changed it since then and I just wasn't able to find anything to confirm that.

8. dj13ubbles

Pretty much what you said :P. I'm not on FB, but I did sign up for IG to see what people are selling and to sell one of my old knives (and to follow my wife to see the cool pictures of our kids she posts while I'm at work). I don't remember exactly which post I saw it on, but a couple months ago, BRS commented that a rep drop was happening "soon." Since seeing that, I made sure I was following them on IG and that I was notified of anything they posted.

I also am subscribed to the /r/balisong subreddit, and those guys are really good of sharing news. Anything I missed from IG notifications, I got from them.

9. laughingbuddha

laughingbuddha JDBA4L JDBA Official Member

Fwiw.. Looseyfur is one half of "they".

10. dj13ubbles

Lol oh dang, I did not know that! Ok, I guess that means that Looseyfur is a reliable source :P.

11. subtlemovement

subtlemovement JDBA OFFICIAL Member JDBA Official Member

I've always been curious about this [original topic] too, since both knives are spec'd at 4.9 oz - is the standard version noticeably more blade-heavy? The standard rep was one of my first balisongs back in the day and there's a lot of metal out there at the end of the blade, but I don't see how the alt blade could feel much different at the same weight.

12. Organ Grinder

Short answer? Yes. Standard feels slightly blade heavy. Slightly...but it is noticeable. Like taking a latch or pocket clip off. Which to me personally feels better.